BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Dec 22, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #4,981 of 5,353
So is the concern the odd shapes of the sound bores in the nozzle? If so, I don’t think that it would make any difference sonically. The tube diameter and length makes a difference in tuning, but I don’t think the opening makes a noticeable difference unless it is obstructive. You could always check balance using frequency sweeps or an online tone generator.
The bores one both the left and right of the DM8 have a quality control issue. I was worried something might have been off sound wise because of it but it seems my set is still good the tips just look ugly.

I'm not exactly seeing what's wrong with the sound bores in your photo either. Is it that they are not perfect circles? Bc I don't think they are required to be for proper sound and if the were the nozzle would be massive.
I tried to get a good pictures as best as I could cause the bores are small and the transparent shell makes the issue hard to see. To me the bores aren't circles at all but odd shaped ovals. The tips look like they melted at some point then harden again.

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #4,982 of 5,353
The bores one both the left and right of the DM8 have a quality control issue. I was worried something might have been off sound wise because of it but it seems my set is still good the tips just look ugly.

I tried to get a good pictures as best as I could cause the bores are small and the transparent shell makes the issue hard to see. To me the bores aren't circles at all but odd shaped ovals. The tips look like they melted at some point then harden again.

Can you post a picture? Maybe others who have DM8 might be able to tell you if their IEM is the same as yours or not.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #4,983 of 5,353
Can you post a picture? Maybe others who have DM8 might be able to tell you if their IEM is the same as yours or not.
This is the picture I posted earlier, I'll try to get better ones later today and upload them.
20201221_161455.jpg

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #4,984 of 5,353
so
This is the picture I posted earlier, I'll try to get better ones later today and upload them.
As @thesheik137 mentioned, I wouldn’t worry about the shape of the bores. 4 perfect circles would make the nozzle very wide, uncomfortably wide. Even 3 bore nozzles have irregular shapes. Many 4 bore nozzles have 4 triangular pie-shaped bores. If right and left IEMs have a similarly irregular shaped bore, then it probably is as designed.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #4,985 of 5,353
so

As @thesheik137 mentioned, I wouldn’t worry about the shape of the bores. 4 perfect circles would make the nozzle very wide, uncomfortably wide. Even 3 bore nozzles have irregular shapes. Many 4 bore nozzles have 4 triangular pie-shaped bores. If right and left IEMs have a similarly irregular shaped bore, then it probably is as designed.
My attempt for better pictures was not successful, only have my phone's camera. However it sounds right to me and that's all that matters. Thanks for the info too, always enjoy learning something new.

Just would say be careful. Check the bores, irregular shade can also mean possibly blocks somewhere down the production line.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,987 of 5,353
I suppose it would be a bit redundant to get the DM8 if I have the MEST?
I compared them briefly when I had both in my review bag just for kicks. In short MEST is a tier or two above in detail levels, tuning refinement, and most of all, dynamics. DM8 sounds like a walk by the beach compared to the liveliness and vividness MEST can provide. Another chief difference is in the sub-bass where MEST brings an almighty thump while DM8 glosses it over. Also, DM8 sounds a bit strained and edgy at the upper mids to treble compared to the MEST. MEST sounds effortless and can safely compare with higher-priced TOTLs.

It is of course, totally unfair to compare DM8 to something 4 times its price, but on first listen when I heard DM8 there weren't any obvious deficiencies in the tuning (which is always a good thing), so I had to bring out one of the big guns just to hear the difference. DM8 is worth its price though, the other IEM I have in this price range is the TinHiFi P2 with its unlistenable treble. So that's my two cents.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #4,988 of 5,353
I compared them briefly when I had both in my review bag just for kicks. In short MEST is a tier or two above in detail levels, tuning refinement, and most of all, dynamics. DM8 sounds like a walk by the beach compared to the liveliness and vividness MEST can provide. Another chief difference is in the sub-bass where MEST brings an almighty thump while DM8 glosses it over. Also, DM8 sounds a bit strained and edgy at the upper mids to treble compared to the MEST. MEST sounds effortless and can safely compare with higher-priced TOTLs.

It is of course, totally unfair to compare DM8 to something 4 times its price, but on first listen when I heard DM8 there weren't any obvious deficiencies in the tuning (which is always a good thing), so I had to bring out one of the big guns just to hear the difference. DM8 is worth its price though, the other IEM I have in this price range is the TinHiFi P2 with its unlistenable treble. So that's my two cents.
Thanks for the comparison! The DM8 seems like a real performer for an all-BA IEM and at its price though, plus, those wood shells.....

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #4,989 of 5,353
And in case anyone wants some quick comparisons with DM8's peers, it sounds more balanced than the FiiO mid-carders, FH5 (which has scooped lower mids and overly forward centre-mids) and FA7 (too warm overall). I prefer DM8 over the two.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #4,990 of 5,353
And in case anyone wants some quick comparisons with DM8's peers, it sounds more balanced than the FiiO mid-carders, FH5 (which has scooped lower mids and overly forward centre-mids) and FA7 (too warm overall). I prefer DM8 over the two.
Different technologies, but based on timeline of release, it seems like its main competition will be the FD5, LZ A7, and Blessing 2 Dusk.

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #4,992 of 5,353
Okay, so I just got my BGVP DM8 yesterday evening and there are a lot of good things to discuss.

First off though, I thought I'd get the one negative out of the way. I got the clear acrylic version and there seems to be some rattling going on inside the iems (both left and right) when lightly tapped or moved around. So far nothing seems broken inside, but it doesn't give me huge confidence about the build. I would probably go for wood one since the build seems to be more premium. The bores are also pretty large, but they provide a nice selection of tips so I was able to find one that fit comfortably.

Second, the tuning itself is pretty good, but nothing mind blowing. It seems like BGVP went with a pretty safe tuning overall, with some nice mid-bass and upper-mid lift, but nothing at all offensive in the treble or mids. Some roll off in the deep sub bass and upper treble for sure. But I think most people would find the tuning favorable and pretty easy to listen to. Keep in mind that I generally favor harman curve tunings.

Now the best part of the BGVP DM8 in my opinion are the technicalities. Not sure how much of this is related to advancements of BAs in general, but the technicalities are stellar and especially for the price. Soundstage, texture, layering, separation and transient are all superb and jump out at you straight away. A previous poster on here said these were better than all the Fearless S8 series, and I would agree, definitely on the technicalities and the tuning is pretty similar but a little less hot in upper mids, so it would depend on what you prefer. Also they are extremely coherent and natural sounding for a multi-BA setup. Everything just come together very easily and sounds correct. BA timbre is obviously still there, but the vented bass drivers help a lot in making them sound more natural and the inoffensive tuning helps remove any metallic timbre from the equation.

Having had DM6, DM7 and now DM8 there is a clear progression, but the DM8 is the biggest leap in the series. I would like to have a DM6 to compare with just to observe how far they have come. Overall, I haven't heard anything under $500 mark that would compete with these, so I'm sure these will become a fan favorite in the near future once more people get their hands on them.

IMG_20201230_115023.jpg

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #4,993 of 5,353
Got any impressions between the stock cable and the EA cable you got on it?
I'm not getting much of a change when switching sources, at least my ears can't hear a difference. Been wondering if a different cable will change things.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #4,994 of 5,353
Okay, so I just got my BGVP DM8 yesterday evening and there are a lot of good things to discuss.

First off though, I thought I'd get the one negative out of the way. I got the clear acrylic version and there seems to be some rattling going on inside the iems (both left and right) when lightly tapped or moved around. So far nothing seems broken inside, but it doesn't give me huge confidence about the build. I would probably go for wood one since the build seems to be more premium. The bores are also pretty large, but they provide a nice selection of tips so I was able to find one that fit comfortably.

Second, the tuning itself is pretty good, but nothing mind blowing. It seems like BGVP went with a pretty safe tuning overall, with some nice mid-bass and upper-mid lift, but nothing at all offensive in the treble or mids. Some roll off in the deep sub bass and upper treble for sure. But I think most people would find the tuning favorable and pretty easy to listen to. Keep in mind that I generally favor harman curve tunings.

Now the best part of the BGVP DM8 in my opinion are the technicalities. Not sure how much of this is related to advancements of BAs in general, but the technicalities are stellar and especially for the price. Soundstage, texture, layering, separation and transient are all superb and jump out at you straight away. A previous poster on here said these were better than all the Fearless S8 series, and I would agree, definitely on the technicalities and the tuning is pretty similar but a little less hot in upper mids, so it would depend on what you prefer. Also they are extremely coherent and natural sounding for a multi-BA setup. Everything just come together very easily and sounds correct. BA timbre is obviously still there, but the vented bass drivers help a lot in making them sound more natural and the inoffensive tuning helps remove any metallic timbre from the equation.

Having had DM6, DM7 and now DM8 there is a clear progression, but the DM8 is the biggest leap in the series. I would like to have a DM6 to compare with just to observe how far they have come. Overall, I haven't heard anything under $500 mark that would compete with these, so I'm sure these will become a fan favorite in the near future once more people get their hands on them.

IMG_20201230_115023.jpg
Not even the Moondrop Blessing 2?

Dec 31, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #4,995 of 5,353
Got any impressions between the stock cable and the EA cable you got on it?
I'm not getting much of a change when switching sources, at least my ears can't hear a difference. Been wondering if a different cable will change things.
Haven't tried stock cable yet bc I prefer the EA maestro lightness and single ended plug. The stock cable seems nice but is a bit heavier and terminated in 2.5 which requires use of included adapters which are pretty nice actually. Don't think it would be too different in terms of sound though, I usually cable swap for ergonomics mostly.

Not even the Moondrop Blessing 2?
Haven't tried B2, but I guess it would come down to DD timbre vs BA detail in the bass. And DM8 seems it would be a bit warmer overall. I'll probably pickup a Dusk B2 at some point tho, B2 seemed it would be too thin/bass light for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back