BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #2,656 of 5,353
I've been trying to find a similar cable to the kanas pro for the DM6, so a mmcx connector. It is a super nice cable. I read it is Lyre Acoustics but I can't find squat. It has very very low micrphonics and a nice thin supple profile. Help?

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #2,657 of 5,353
I would wait on the DM6 to arrive before you go around buying tips because I also have big ear canals and i made the mistake of buying large tips from various brands including JVC, Spinfit, Comply and ended up using the stock medium tips from the DM6 because of the deep insertion.. Just giving my opinion and advice from a guy who already committed the mistake...lol... Unless you have many other IEM's then shop away!!!

Guilty as charged. I'm finding I've been missing out on some good listening on some of my older IEMs. Once you start rolling, it is kind of addictive.

Thanks for the advice.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #2,658 of 5,353
Here's a maybe dumb question, but which is better: 16/48 wired, or 24/96 LDAC? Android only seems to support the former when wired, but the latter over BT. Both would be output through the 2.5mm balanced output on my ES100.

Feb 23, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #2,659 of 5,353
I've been trying to find a similar cable to the kanas pro for the DM6, so a mmcx connector. It is a super nice cable. I read it is Lyre Acoustics but I can't find squat. It has very very low micrphonics and a nice thin supple profile. Help?
Nicehck 8 core copper?

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #2,660 of 5,353
Here's a maybe dumb question, but which is better: 16/48 wired, or 24/96 LDAC? Android only seems to support the former when wired, but the latter over BT. Both would be output through the 2.5mm balanced output on my ES100.

Assuming your source is 16/44 -

If the UAPP player recognises the ES100 as external DAC it will allow you to output none upsampled 16/44 which could potentially sound the best.

24/96 is the top output over LDAC bandwidth limit. I don’t think everything gets necessarily upsampled to 24/96 unless the player app enforces it.
When I use UAPP with BTR3 it doesn’t do this and plays native format of source. For me the the BTR3 output over LDAC is good as wired and I’ve read many opinions the ES100 BT sound is also very good.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #2,661 of 5,353
The bitrate using LDAC does not go beyond 990kb/s as far as I know. This is close to, but still a tad less than the limit for CD quality.

So the wired connections are technical superior still. 16/44 and 24/48 bitrates are source file aka recording dependent but go somewhat up to max 1411kb/s (16-44, 2*16*44) and 2300kb/s (24/48, 2*24*48) respectively. Flac files show a little less kb/s while being streamed due to the compression (up to ~1030/1700). Since they will be decompressed before playback the above mentioned max. bitrates are valid for flac files too.

The higher the bitrate the more information can be included.... With identical masterings the higher bitrate should therefore sound better.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #2,662 of 5,353
That's not what I meant. The R6 is miles better than the S9 (with and without the adapter) , it's not even debatable. I am just describing how the 80 ohm adapter changes the sound on these 2 devices. R6 + DM6 with copper cable and foam tips = heaven for me.

Edit: and since I am at it, your theory on the crosstalk is not valid in my opinion according to my taste. Sound wise R6>fiio X5iii>>Ibasso dx150. I absolutely didn't like the polite sound of the dx150 amongst other things... So here you have it, actual facts based on my ears and not some simulated theory vector photoshopped coming out of nowhere...
Due to unforseen events, I had to swap the cable of my DM6. I tried my newly acquired banned brand 6 core pure copper in balance 2.5mm (it was cheap, less than $20). Well, it was almost unlistenable on the R6, very harsh treble, not pleasant at all. Got some hissing. I put a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and it was a little better, no more hissing but not a great sound still. Put back the NiceHCK 8 core pure copper back (in 3.5mm) and everything is nice and smooth again. Go figure...
Cable not to buy to pair up with DM6 :
Due to unforseen events, I had to swap the cable of my DM6. I tried my newly acquired banned brand 6 core pure copper in balance 2.5mm (it was cheap, less than $20). Well, it was almost unlistenable on the R6, very harsh treble, not pleasant at all. Got some hissing. I put a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and it was a little better, no more hissing but not a great sound still. Put back the NiceHCK 8 core pure copper back (in 3.5mm) and everything is nice and smooth again. Go figure...
Cable not to buy to pair up with DM6 :
That's not what I meant. The R6 is miles better than the S9 (with and without the adapter) , it's not even debatable. I am just describing how the 80 ohm adapter changes the sound on these 2 devices. R6 + DM6 with copper cable and foam tips = heaven for me.

Edit: and since I am at it, your theory on the crosstalk is not valid in my opinion according to my taste. Sound wise R6>fiio X5iii>>Ibasso dx150. I absolutely didn't like the polite sound of the dx150 amongst other things... So here you have it, actual facts based on my ears and not some simulated theory vector photoshopped coming out of nowhere...[/QUOTE
Hi I got a R6 in January and am really enjoying it, now looking at purchasing better iems. Looking at the DM6 after reading all the great feedback here. However,I was wondering if the 10 ohm output impedance of the R6 changed the tonality of the DM6?

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #2,664 of 5,353
What is your point?

Looking for advice on pairing of R6 and DM6, rather than making specific comment. I see from this thread that you have both and are therefore in a position to give "hands on" opinion. Looking on line not many have both. From what I have read the DM6 is very sensitive and its sound can change depending on a lot of factors such as source, cables, tips, getting proper ear seal. Therefore, I am attempting to find out if the R6's high output impedance has any negative impact on the DM6 sound signature, before I purchase a set.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #2,665 of 5,353
Looking for advice on pairing of R6 and DM6, rather than making specific comment. I see from this thread that you have both and are therefore in a position to give "hands on" opinion. Looking on line not many have both. From what I have read the DM6 is very sensitive and its sound can change depending on a lot of factors such as source, cables, tips, getting proper ear seal. Therefore, I am attempting to find out if the R6's high output impedance has any negative impact on the DM6 sound signature, before I purchase a set.
i think they were asking because your previous post was just a bunch of quotes...

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #2,666 of 5,353
I'm on the mission for large to XL tips also. Don't have the DM6 yet, it's in the mail, but I have been top rolling quite a bit with my DMG and other iems.

The large Symbio W Peeled were the first tip I thought fit. Largely, I think this true because even though the tip is a large, it's silicone is a little stiffer so it seals a bit better than normal large tips. I think this is why people think they are a size up, but actually is the stiffness of the silicone that gives a "larger" impression and hence the feedback on that they feel great at first but are fatiguing.

New Bees large tips are very similar in size and shape to Symbio W Peeled but with softer silicone and they do feel more comfortable but with a bit less seal. These are ok for bullet type IEMs but I need larger ones for universal ciems.

On a whim, I ordered JVC Spiral Dot L having owned the ML size and they are larger than Symbio W Peeled and softer. The sound bore is huge though so for hot iems, they are unforgiving. I like everything about them though. I wish they sold an exact second version with a slightly smaller sound bore. They seal great.

Moving on, I ordered the Sony EP-EX11 Size LL tips and they are great also with a smaller sound bore than the JVC Spiral Dots. They tame the highs a tad, seal well and are comfortable.

Both the JVC and Sony seal better with more comfort than the Symbio W.

I also ordered the Sony MH755 and the large top included is somewhere between the JVC/EP-EX11-LL and Symbio W in size with better comfort than the Symbio W and a smaller sound bore than all tips mentioned. More attenuation of the highs than the EP-EX11 tips.

I'm still looking for the perfect tip and didn't know I had such big ear canals but the seal is critical!

On another note, I'm not sure I shove the tips in as deep as others, but the tips mentioned provide a great seal. Perhaps if I shoved the iems in deeper, I might get away with smaller tips, who knows. This is my latest curiosity but with the larger tips, the sound is better, they are comfortable and I feel the entire experience is better. I'm also not sure how deep is safe to push an iem into ones ear.

Check they will fit (I thnk they will if symbios fit) but Final Audio E tips LL might be of some help to you?

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #2,667 of 5,353
i think they were asking because your previous post was just a bunch of quotes...
Sorry having problems with my iPad it keeps loosing connection with site and reloading all the time. I am very happy with my R6 so far both in terms of sound and speed of use and it pairs well with my DMGs. I have an iematch but IMO the DMGs sound better connected directly without having to using it. Hence, why I am interested in pairing of DM6 with R6. Would prefer not to have to use iematch if possible.

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,668 of 5,353
Sorry having problems with my iPad it keeps loosing connection with site and reloading all the time. I am very happy with my R6 so far both in terms of sound and speed of use and it pairs well with my DMGs. I have an iematch but IMO the DMGs sound better connected directly without having to using it. Hence, why I am interested in pairing of DM6 with R6. Would prefer not to have to use iematch if possible.
The DM6 sounds great with the R6, its high output impedance doesn't seem to be a problem with this iem. I don't have a iematch but I can compare the R6 to my galaxy s9 and the R6 sounds way better with the DM6.
Next time write something with your quotes, I thought you were trolling me for whatever reason.
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry for your wallet!

Feb 24, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #2,669 of 5,353
The DM6 sounds great with the R6, its high output impedance doesn't seem to be a problem with this iem. I don't have a iematch but I can compare the R6 to my galaxy s9 and the R6 sounds way better with the DM6.
Next time write something with your quotes, I thought you were trolling me for whatever reason.
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry for your wallet!

Thanks for the welcome/information and sorry for any confusion earlier, problems all my fault. Good to know that the DM6 pair well with and sound great with the R6, bad news for my wallet though as you so rightly point out. Thanks again for the advice.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #2,670 of 5,353
Assuming your source is 16/44 -

If the UAPP player recognises the ES100 as external DAC it will allow you to output none upsampled 16/44 which could potentially sound the best.

24/96 is the top output over LDAC bandwidth limit. I don’t think everything gets necessarily upsampled to 24/96 unless the player app enforces it.
When I use UAPP with BTR3 it doesn’t do this and plays native format of source. For me the the BTR3 output over LDAC is good as wired and I’ve read many opinions the ES100 BT sound is also very good.

The bitrate using LDAC does not go beyond 990kb/s as far as I know. This is close to, but still a tad less than the limit for CD quality.

So the wired connections are technical superior still. 16/44 and 24/48 bitrates are source file aka recording dependent but go somewhat up to max 1411kb/s (16-44, 2*16*44) and 2300kb/s (24/48, 2*24*48) respectively. Flac files show a little less kb/s while being streamed due to the compression (up to ~1030/1700). Since they will be decompressed before playback the above mentioned max. bitrates are valid for flac files too.

The higher the bitrate the more information can be included.... With identical masterings the higher bitrate should therefore sound better.

Hmm... the reason I ask because I can't really tell a difference, but I also don't have many (any?) 24/96 albums that I'm super familiar with, though I certainly have access to a few 24/96 albums on Tidal. I also haven't really compared wired vs wireless in the most perfect environment, so there's that. I do get 24/96 transfer from my Pixel 3 (and it's always close enough that getting the full bitrate isn't a problem), but yeah, I'm not sure if it upsamples or not—clearly it doesn't really matter for 16/44(48) stuff, but it seems nice to have it for when the source is indeed 24/96.

The wired connection on Android only supports 16-bit, and my half-educated opinion is that 24-bit vs. 16-bit should be a larger difference than 96kHz vs. 44/48kHz, so that was the primary reason I was wondering about LDAC vs. wired. Now, this is where it gets a little hairier—both of you (correctly!) talk about the overall bitrate available, but 990kbps isn't 990kbps. What I mean by that is that the compression pipeline isn't necessarily the same, so it could be that slightly compressed 24/96 carries more information in certain frequency ranges than a higher bitrate transfer of 16/44(48).

It's not at all clear to me, and it seems like it would require a good amount of research and/or testing to figure out—like, measuring sweeps of pure tones at different volume increments carried over different pipelines and seeing what comes out the other side. But I don't have the equipment to do this, and I feel like people with the equipment to do it wouldn't be interested in it. Maybe the information about compression bands is publicly available; I may look into it. Anyway, this was more a general ask because I know this is an active thread with several knowledgeable folks; I might ask in the ES100 thread (wish the Radsone employee were still allowed to post in there, ugh).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back