BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #2,251 of 5,353
this would be a combo purchase of the es100 and this cable. just kinda feel like i might as well get the 16-core kinboofi given @OldDude04 's statement that his cable seems well-made and good.

they're in my cart; this is Dangerous

Lol.. crazy hobby.

Gonna play devils advocate ..
You could just spend half as much and get the FIIO BTR3 and continue to use your 3.5mm copper cable if wireless is your main requirement. It’s shockingly fantastic sound quality when used with LDAC.
I’m more than happy to use it for all none MQA and none HiRes tracks. No real difference compared to using wired headphones with LG V30.

The SQ between ES100/BTR3 is nothing according to many opinions. Some prefer one tuning over the other. No clear winner in that area which is a credit to BTR3.

If I wanted to experiment with balanced I would get a HiRes capable DAP that can at least do 24/96 minimum if not full 24/192.

Look forward to your opinions whichever way you go. GL :D

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,253 of 5,353
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,254 of 5,353
Lol.. crazy hobby.

Gonna play devils advocate ..
You could just spend half as much and get the FIIO BTR3 and continue to use your 3.5mm copper cable if wireless is your main requirement. It’s shockingly fantastic sound quality when used with LDAC.

The SQ between ES100/BTR3 is not according to many opinions. Some prefer one tuning over the other. No clear winner in that area which is a credit to BTR3.

If I wanted to experiment with balanced I would get a HiRes capable DAP that can at least do 24/96 minimum if not full 24/192.

Look forward to your opinions whichever way you go. GL :D
the wireless is a nice benefit, but i mostly want to try balanced + better SnR myself and see what i think. (it'd also be good to have analog volume control so i'm not losing any data due to digital volume control.) also, if my pixel 3 works right, it should be able to do optimum quality LDAC. god, who knows. i should maybe sleep on this @_@

edit to address archy's edit: eh, if i'm gonna spend the $70 on the fiio, my sense is that there's no reason not to just spend $30 more on the es100.

edit: ok i did it

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #2,255 of 5,353
edit to address archy's edit: eh, if i'm gonna spend the $70 on the fiio, my sense is that there's no reason not to just spend $30 more on the es100.

That makes sense.
I just checked prices now - When I purchased mine early January I bought the BTR3 for £50 when the ES100 was £99.
Seems gone up and maybe I was lucky with sales.

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #2,260 of 5,353
@archy121

I finally discovered that the distortion I was hearing is in the recording and not an artifact of the DM6.

It starts at 2.22 and goes to the end on the right channel.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #2,261 of 5,353
@archy121

I finally discovered that the distortion I was hearing is in the recording and not an artifact of the DM6.

It starts at 2.22 and goes to the end on the right channel.

Haha well done. So what do you put it down to ?

Feb 5, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #2,262 of 5,353
Haha well done. So what do you put it down to ?

It’s something that I haven’t heard with full-size headphones? But I now have heard it with 2 pairs of DM6 IEMs and the Noble K-10 Encore IEM. It’s just a section of the song that has some frequencies which sound like distortion. It could just be detail brought out by BA transducers? It’s the combination of amps and IEMs that brings the detail; but it’s not always noticeable? Funny?

Just perception, when you notice stuff in songs you have heard before but never noticed?

It’s probably close in a way to the bass distortion from 6 seconds to 49 seconds at the beginning of In The Evening?

Just recorded distortion. Lol

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,263 of 5,353
Ok, a small update guys, regarding sibilance with the DM6, and well... "burn-in".

I have been leaving the DM6 playing every night for 5 days now (12 hours a day, without counting my brief 1 hour listening sessions), and I've noticed that they DO sound more relaxed.

The harsh "sibilance" on Billy Idol - Rebel Yell is definitely NOT as bad as it used to be in the beginning (although there is still pierce to me), even on my Axon 7. Now, I've kept my listening on the DM6 to a minimum (I don't have a good source anyway, only on my sister's axon 7 mini when she's home), just to get the "my-ears-have-adjusted-to-the-harshness" out of the equation (and I don't think my ears can adjust to it anyways, if it doesn't simply disappear completely).

So yeah, things definitely improved slightly. There are songs like "Barklay James Harvest - May Day" though, that are still very shrill (that's the worst case for sibilance I could find as of this moment), sadly I didn't use that song from the beginning, but based on my usual "Rebel Yell", it was most likely much more terrible in the beginning (I don't even wanna imagine). The song is from 1976, so yeah, but still, I don't hear sibilance with it on my speakers, or my T2s (at least not as piercing as the DM6), so that's definitely a huge problem with the DM6 IMHO (if it doesn't settle down, which I will make my final conclusions when they reach 200 hours listening time, just to be fair and transparent).

So yeah, for those of you that want to test the sibilance using the "May Day" song (the whole Octoberon album is very sibilant btw) with their DM6, please do, and report back:

Thank you.

- - -

And now for some short analysts from me.

We all know that BAs under heavy stress (volume, or simply not being able to handle what is being thrown at them, comparatively to other frequencies), they do sound like "horns". This is an establish behavior of BA drivers.

So, my theory here, is after loosening up, the BAs are no longer "struggling as much", and are simply sounding less "oversaturated", or horn-y. (LOLz) :ksc75smile:

Meaning, that the peaky-ness/harsh-ness have toned itself down a bit.

That's my only explanation as of now, based on what I'm hearing, and trying to explain based on what I know about BAs.

If somebody knows more please jump into the discussion, and share your thoughts.

In conclusion, apparently "burn-in" is real as well (another one of my "beliefs" was "crushed", but that's good, because I care about truth). But as of now, still not enough to take care of that sibilance. But to be fair, the Axon 7 Mini (the neutral/analytical device) was used. Things are much worse in comparison on my Axon 7 and the Salaxy (I'm leaving that, it's funny:ksc75smile:) S7 edge.

Thank you for reading. Be back with final conclusions when I reach the 200 hour mark.

How does they made this album so sibilant these sss shhh piercing ears. But dm6 just makes such poor recordings show the bad side and if it was written bad then you will hear it. So if someone doesnt know how dm6 sounds with poor recordings, can try this.

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,264 of 5,353
How does they made this album so sibilant these sss shhh piercing ears. But dm6 just makes such poor recordings show the bad side and if it was written bad then you will hear it. So if someone doesnt know how dm6 sounds with poor recordings, can try this.
i think you forgot to name the album...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back