BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,072 of 5,353
Try Beautiful Light from Uppermost on Tidal. Check at 3min and a few seconds mark

Thanks for introducing a new great track.

It took me very close to the edge of my treble limit and it was quite a sensational feeling at 3:00+

I really felt the highs peak extraordinarily and can’t help thinking maybe the artist intended it to somewhat sound like this as it was the pinnacle moment of the track. Maybe they wanted to take the listener right to the edge. Who knows... all subjective right.

I compared listening with my old beloved Fidue A73 which now comes across to me as being comparatively smoother, lacking detail and not so 3 dimensional in its sound presentation. I could notice the luxury in the DM6 signature compared to it. The A73 also went high at the same mark but it couldn’t create the same edgy feeling - That moment in the track. Until now the A73 was king of electronic for me.
I’m guessing some level of brain burn in is also kicking in now as historically I haven’t been able to tolerate highs too well. There was a time when I thought the A73 highs were too much when I first got. After 500 hours plus on it I find them silky and smooth which makes them great for longer easy listening sessions.

I would still prefer the DM6 to be a just little smoother especially with electronic music that can go very high like your track. Probably an hour or two is the most I could listen to electronic. Too intense and definitely no listening with volume high. This is where i hope the OCC cable will help a little.

Listening to Tidal with v30 and Symbio peeled tips. The Symbio’s are giving me the best sound so far but proving to be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,074 of 5,353
I think that you shouldn't remove that filter...
No, you shouldn’t unless you plan to replace it with something else. You need it to spread (or dull) it. There is a lot of crossover to the mid section with that driver. I’ve had a hour or two of tinkering with it. I’ve almost got it where I want it, but I think the treble side might need a smidge of diffusion.
Edit: I’ve decided to get the extraction tool and the whole set of dampers for Knowles driver. Let you know what happens in about a month....AliExpress you know.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,075 of 5,353
Thanks for introducing a new great new track.

It took me very close to the edge of my treble limit and it was quite a sensational feeling at 3:00+

I really felt the highs peak extraordinarily and can’t help thinking maybe the artist intended it to somewhat sound like this as it was the pinnacle moment of the track. Maybe they wanted to take the listener right to the edge. Who knows... all subjective right.

I compared listening with my old beloved Fidue A73 which now comes across to me as being comparatively smoother, lacking detail and not so 3 dimensional in its sound presentation. I could notice the luxury in the DM6 signature compared to it. The A73 also went high at the same mark but it couldn’t create the same edgy feeling - That moment in the track. Until now the A73 was king of electronic for me.
I’m guessing some level of brain burn in is also kicking in now as historically I haven’t been able to tolerate highs too well. There was a time when I thought the A73 highs were too much when I first got. After 500 hours plus on it I find them silky and smooth which makes them great for longer easy listening sessions.

I would still prefer the DM6 to be a just little smoother especially with electronic music that can go very high like your track. Probably an hour or two is the most I could listen to electronic. Too intense and definitely no listening with volume high. This is where i hope the OCC cable will help a little.

Listening to Tidal with v30 and Symbio peeled tips. The Symbio’s are giving me the best sound so far but proving to be uncomfortable.
similar thoughts re: intentionally Big treble in SOPHIE's "It's Okay To Cry". It's a lot, but I feel like it's intentional. I've mentioned before, but I used to have SE530s, and there's a 0% chance that those were reproducing this track correctly. (Though vocals sure are good on them.)

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,076 of 5,353
No, you shouldn’t unless you plan to replace it with something else. You need it to spread (or dull) it. There is a lot of crossover to the mid section with that driver. I’ve had a hour or two of tinkering with it. I’ve almost got it where I want it, but I think the treble side might need a smidge of diffusion.

Seems like you are busy clinically castrating the DM6 .. they will be sterile when you’ve finished :D

similar thoughts re: intentionally Big treble in SOPHIE's "It's Okay To Cry". It's a lot, but I feel like it's intentional. I've mentioned before, but I used to have SE530s, and there's a 0% chance that those were reproducing this track correctly. (Though vocals sure are good on them.)

Another nice track in MQA 24/176 !
Glorious bass and yep right at end it goes crazy with highs for That moment. Maybe it’s simply just a case of DM6 doing its detail picking job too well ?

Some possible good news as I think I have managed to find a replacement for the Symbio tips that is possibly better in comfort fit and sound.

I’m now using Philips Fidelio eartips that look similar to the Symbio shape and bore size. Their silicon seems to be more supple making them more comfortable in the ears.

Immediate impressions are that the bass has upped with better texture, highs slightly smoother and soundstage feels more immersive (3D stereo surround). All quite subtle changes but together bringing an appealing difference to my ears.

I listened to Beautiful Light again and this time the highs did not spike as strong at 3:00.

I than A/B listened to We Sink by Of monsters and men and could clearly tell the splashy Shh edge of cymbols was reduced using the Philips tips.

Kind of need to pinch myself as signature has changed in way that I expected the the OCC to effect it.

One step closer to perfection :wink:

47A89646-BF09-44CF-92E5-203C31BE4E39.jpeg

Yes !

I recommend the Philips earbuds if you are desperately looking to take a little edge of the highs and improve lows. It could be all you need or just one more of the tweaks you need to get the highs to your liking.

I have had mine going back years but seems they are still available on eBay etc.

7A930E0D-E761-4BBF-A17A-D0E099AB4FF2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,077 of 5,353
The fun doesn’t stop now.

Before buying the DM6 I knowingly expected to compromise going to all BA earphones from DD when it came to bass. Never could have I imagined a BA slamming Bass like this bad ass DM6.

This thing is like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

Make a minor change and its signature turns to something else completely - A Sub Bass monster in this case.

VISCERAL SUB BASS is what i'm hearing with the new tips. If you love your bass over the more clinical neutral audophile signature these tips will help you get closer to those lows.

Just try this track out in Highest Res you can get your hands on. I’m sure it already sounds great with whatever tips you have. Now imagine deeper.

I’m using Bit perfect output without any EQU on the V30.

Capture+_2019-01-30-23-56-41.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,078 of 5,353
Hi, would love to know from some people it the recessed mids is still an issue with the dm6 when upgrading to a copper cable? That's the only reason I did not pull the trigger on these as I am looking for great vocals (male and female) that is full clear and not recessed at all. I know that cables can increase clarity and some other technical abilities but I was never aware that it could change the signature of a sound?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #2,079 of 5,353
The fun doesn’t stop now.

Before buying the DM6 I knowingly expected to compromise going to all BA earphones from DD when it came to bass. Never could have I imagined a BA slamming Bass like this bad ass DM6.

This thing is like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

Make a minor change and its signature turns to something else completely - A Sub Bass monster in this case.

VISCERAL SUB BASS is what i'm hearing with the new tips. If you love your bass over the more clinical neutral audophile signature these tips will help you get closer to those lows.

Just try this track out in Highest Res you can get your hands on. I’m sure it already sounds great with whatever tips you have. Now imagine deeper.

I’m using Bit perfect output without any EQU on the V30.

The Fidelio tips from your previous post?

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #2,080 of 5,353
Seems like you are busy clinically castrating the DM6 .. they will be sterile!

I ordered the full set of dampers for Knowles drivers and the extraction/placing tool. Going to see what the other filters sound like and hopefully I can keep the sub bass and gain some clarity back. It’ll be about a month though, from AliExpress.

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:56 AM Post #2,081 of 5,353
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/archy121.277198/

5CCF3B2F-E645-4603-9266-D33928EE0B08.gif

That’s the thing, there must be a few IEMs with great BA sub-bass. I know of only a few, but BA bass has it’s own signature super fast style.

If someone asked me two years ago if I liked BA bass tone, I would have said no; but now days it can be great!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #2,082 of 5,353
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/archy121.277198/

That’s the thing, there must be a few IEMs with great BA sub-bass. I know of only a few, but BA bass has it’s own signature super fast style.

If someone asked me two years ago if so liked BA bass tone, I would have said no; but now days it can be great!

if i have to choose, i always prefer the clean bass BA sound than the punch of Dynamic drivers. with the DM6, i don't have to, it practically combine the best of both world

Jan 31, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #2,083 of 5,353
I have the same cable, it feels so supple lol
It is very nice and a steal for the money. I like this 8-core better than their 16-core.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,084 of 5,353
The Fidelio tips from your previous post?

Yes it’s the Philips Fidelio ones. They might be similar as the New Bee that some have resorted to after trouble getting hold of symbio or discomfort from them.

I continued to listen to music for further two hours without the discomfort i was previously experiencing from Symbio tips. That is a win alone.
It’s definitely taking the edge of the highs making longer less intense listenings possible. Lows and mid lows showed improvement too. Once I get the OCC cable I will have to see if these tips are still suitable or an overkill combined with the new cable.
Might have to get one size smaller Symbio or try New Bee.

Wondering if anyone in the UK has a small pair of Symbio tips to trade for medium ones ? @Huxley ?

Enjoyed plenty of music tracks last night.

Think these are same ones -
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291973060070

96A03C54-F25D-48D0-9E40-7EC00F2EC994.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #2,085 of 5,353
Yes it’s the Philips Fidelio ones. They might be similar as the New Bee that some have resorted to after trouble getting hold of symbio or discomfort from them.

I continued to listen to music for further two hours without the discomfort i was previously experiencing from Symbio tips. That is a win alone.
It’s definitely taking the edge of the highs making longer less intense listenings possible. Lows and mid lows showed improvement too. Once I get the OCC cable I will have to see if these tips are still suitable or an overkill combined with the new cable.
Might have to get one size smaller Symbio or try New Bee.

Wondering if anyone in the UK has a small pair of Symbio tips to trade for medium ones ? @Huxley ?

Enjoyed plenty of music tracks last night.

Think these are same ones -
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291973060070

Fraid not I'm usually a medium or large depending on fit.
Nozzles I'm now using are similar to yours, but slightly smaller opening, but insert much deeper as they have quite a long neck.
Bought them from AliExpress ages ago, so just some random set but they work better than the symbio to my ears.
Loving your pair I take it?
I'm doing my best to baby my pair, so no using them at work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back