Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Feb 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,996 of 3,971
It's possible that the part about "wanting to maintain the quality" is marketing BS, sure. The part about demand exceeding supply is very clearly not BS - if they could supply them, they surely would. But this could indeed just be due to not being able to procure the necessary parts fast enough.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #1,997 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The part about demand exceeding supply is very clearly not BS - if they could supply them, they surely would.

Of course it could be BS. What they're really saying is demand is exceeding the supply they are willing to make available. A nice situation to be in. They will supply exactly as many as it takes to keep the price nice and high.

It is plausible that they are just overwhelmed by the response. But I don't believe that.

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,998 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course it could be BS. What they're really saying is demand is exceeding the supply they are willing to make available. A nice situation to be in. They will supply exactly as many as it takes to keep the price nice and high.

It is plausible that they are just overwhelmed by the response. But I don't believe that.

I'm sorry but that kind of post makes me think you have never actually worked in a business. If you have, I apologize in advance. But no rational business would behave that way - and I have worked for makers of electronic products for 22 years. If Beyer could deliver 10,000 pairs of T1's, and they had demand for them, they would do it. Keeping the price high by selling a smaller qty doesn't benefit Beyer - think about it. They are in business to make money, which requires actually SELLING what they produce.

They will supply as many as they possibly can while there is interest in them.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #1,999 of 3,971
When I was talking with a Beyer officer in Germany (I think it was Sept. 09) they knew they had created a headphone superior to their previous models. Even then, however, when I asked about the possible purchase of T1 drivers - it was clear there would none available for a long, long, time. It was not a matter of no willingness to sell them - but a matter of production capability.
So, it is also true for supplying complete T1 - it is truly a matter of balancing stock for their other lines, and maximizing production to meet demand for this new, popular product. They are NOT holding back.
You know, I get very tired of conspiracy theorists in every facet of society. Off-hand, when was the last time one of them was found to be materially correct. .......
Though it really doesn't matter - I'm happy with my current headphones. I admit, however, to being intrigued by the T1 - and ONLY the T1.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2,001 of 3,971
I think they need to ramp up production of T1 before there is another top headphone released in the market, which will be the focus of everyone.

HD850 with carbon fiber housing and black marble finish.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #2,002 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry but that kind of post makes me think you have never actually worked in a business. If you have, I apologize in advance. But no rational business would behave that way - and I have worked for makers of electronic products for 22 years. If Beyer could deliver 10,000 pairs of T1's, and they had demand for them, they would do it. Keeping the price high by selling a smaller qty doesn't benefit Beyer - think about it. They are in business to make money, which requires actually SELLING what they produce.

They will supply as many as they possibly can while there is interest in them.

No need to be sorry; I've worked for and advised some pretty sophisticated businesses, but that's neither here nor there. You have your opinion and that's fine; I think your opinion is rather simplistic and applies largely in the context of electronic widgets. We are not dealing with commodity pricing here. Beyer has a profit margin that it wants to keep and it knows exactly what it's doing. Of course Beyer is in business to make money, and a rational profit maximizer understands that restricting supply in the face of high demand can mean big bucks.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #2,003 of 3,971
I canceled my order for my T1's. When I was told by the supplier that he got 3 in out of the 30 pre-orders he needed. I figured I would wait until there is actually some stock to buy from. I did however order a new set of DT48E 200Ohm cans to try while I am waiting for the stock of T1's to at least come up to current demand.

I will own a set of T1's... they truly peak my interest. But I think in the mean time I will be very happy playing with the DT48's.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #2,004 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I canceled my order for my T1's. When I was told by the supplier that he got 3 in out of the 30 pre-orders he needed. I figured I would wait until there is actually some stock to buy from. I did however order a new set of DT48E 200Ohm cans to try while I am waiting for the stock of T1's to at least come up to current demand.

I will own a set of T1's... they truly peak my interest. But I think in the mean time I will be very happy playing with the DT48's.

And that is precisely why it makes no sense for Beyer to artificially limit supply - people will get frustrated, and buy something else. If people cannot get the T1, many if not most will move on to something else. It's hard to defend why someone would just wait endlessly for a T1 when there are many other choices, and as such, hard to justify the idea that Beyer is "holding back", IMO.

But anyway, this is all wild speculation, and none of us will ever have anything but our own theories. So as such, I have no more to say on the topic.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2,007 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get HD800s these days? I notice that HeadRoom has a 3-5 day wait.

Not so in UK, it is more like 2 months (or there about) waiting list when I called an UK dealer couple of weeks ago.

Feb 20, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #2,010 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When local computer stores in Canada carry HD800, you shouldn't have any problem finding one in US. NCIX.com - Buy Sennheiser HD800 Reference Stereo Headphones 6-51000HZ 300OHMS 10FT SILVER/BLACK - HD800 In Canada.

Yeah, CDN$2000 with tax and everything! Thank you Sennhesier, here in Canada we love you and will always purchase at full MRSP you assign to Canadians. Thanks!

Sennheser HD800

They are the new kids on the block! You can't beat their prices apparently.
I know a couple of online stores that are starting to stack the HD800 with a 1700$ price tag. They might want to reconsider. Competition is always good!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back