Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,127 of 4,487
Headphones
Phone: +1 631.293.3200 ext.17
Paul Fattrosso, paul @beyerdynamic-usa .com
Pete Carini, peter @beyerdynamic-usa .com

Give these folks a email or call, they should help you out.

Alex

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4,129 of 4,487
Am I missing something here?  Why did the HD800 go from zero to hero?

Quote:
Today was a fun day of demoing a bunch of gear I'd never heard (Yggy, Black Widow, Ragnarok, HD800/S)

The main attraction was the chance to directly compare the T90 to the HD800 and 800S.

I was actually pretty shocked. I did not totally care for the HD800.

IMO my modded T90 was (mostly) better. The 800 has a dip in the upper midrange that was very distracting. It almost made them sound muffled compared to T90. Thats an exaggeration of course, as the 800 has a ton of detail/resolution, I just feel like the recessed mids make it almost pointless because some of the definition is buried with the recessed mids.

The T90 is clearer sounding. And it presented more detail because it does not have recessed mids and has a bit more treble.

The HD800S was better. The mids weren't as recessed and it was less sterile with a warmer signature. Using a balanced cable made the differences even more obvious.

I almost couldn't even listen to the HD800 v1 without a balanced cable, because the recessed mids gave it a weird stifled quality. When I would switch back to the T90 I could hear all sorts of detail I wasn't hearing on the 800.

Not to mention the T90 is warmer and much more "fun" sounding. I understand what people mean now when they say the 800 is sterile/clinical. It did not bother me very much, but it did keep the music at a slight distance, keeping it from totally engaging me. Everytime I switched back to the T90 my mood brightened.

The only the 800 seemed to do better was soundstage. The depth and 3 dimensional quality and ability to arrange sounds in space was extremely impressive.

I wouldn't mind owning the 800 but I'd absolutely need a balanced cable for it. It sounds much better balanced.

I took my modded T90 to a friends' recently to audition some TOTL gear, including the HD800/800S.  I preferred my T90 by far, and my friend even said he was very impressed with the sound.

Everyone has different taste, so it may not please everyone, some may find it too aggressive or not like the change in sound, but for me I'm almost to the point of never wanting to upgrade to another headphone again, even after hearing what is supposed to be the best dynamic driver HP on the market (HD800/800S).  The T90 is an amazing HP, but damping the cups made it even better.

I just bought the HD800...

Completely smokes the T90 in every aspect.

I am probably going to sell the T90 to put toward a new DAC, since the 800 does everything better, at least for me.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,132 of 4,487
In my experience the headband adjustment mechanism on my DT770/880/990 PRO models is very tight and does not slip around accidentally. However, on my PREMIUM version of the DT990, the headband adjustment length slides around quite annoyingly.

I was wondering if the newer-style headbands on the T70/T90/T1 are more similar to the action on the old DT PRO or Premium models? That is, do they stay in place, like the PRO models or move around with little effort like the Premium models?

Apr 21, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #4,133 of 4,487
  In my experience the headband adjustment mechanism on my DT770/880/990 PRO models is very tight and does not slip around accidentally. However, on my PREMIUM version of the DT990, the headband adjustment length slides around quite annoyingly.

I was wondering if the newer-style headbands on the T70/T90/T1 are more similar to the action on the old DT PRO or Premium models? That is, do they stay in place, like the PRO models or move around with little effort like the Premium models?

I have both the DT 770 PRO and the T90. The T90 definitely fits more loosely around my head. It slides forward a few millimeters if I look down at my keyboard. However, there is enough grip that it won't go flying off your head if you suddenly look at something. It's also a really light, comfortable headphone, generally speaking.

Apr 21, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,134 of 4,487
I have both the DT 770 PRO and the T90. The T90 definitely fits more loosely around my head. It slides forward a few millimeters if I look down at my keyboard. However, there is enough grip that it won't go flying off your head if you suddenly look at something. It's also a really light, comfortable headphone, generally speaking.

Sorry, I was referring to the actual headband adjustment sliders on either side of the headband. How do they compare?

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #4,136 of 4,487

Yes, the newer Tesla Beyers like T90 have loose adjustment blocks like the Premium. DT770/880/990 Pro adjustment blocks can be swapped with the T90 and T70 blocks.

I posted about that here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/b...-support-thread.607079/page-145#post-10693223

The Pro blocks are more durable, too.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4,137 of 4,487
Just got my Chrome T90. It sounds excellent, so now I'm looking for an amp that fits it. I love a strong-treble headphone but even for me the T90 is slightly harsh on the upper end and boost the mids a little. I was looking through this thread and found recommendations such as the Bottlehead Crack and Little Dot MK2. The Bottlehead Crack seems like a nice amp but I would prefer to have something that looks nice. I own a pretty nice PC rig and would rather not have an ugly looking wood box next to my PC.

How does the Little Dot MK2 compare to Crack?
How about the Beyer A20?
Other recommendations?

I am just outputting from my PC 3.5mm. I guess I would need a DAC as well? Which one is more important to start off if I can't get both at the same time?

Are there tube DAC/AMPs?

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #4,138 of 4,487
Just got my Chrome T90. It sounds excellent, so now I'm looking for an amp that fits it. I love a strong-treble headphone but even for me the T90 is slightly harsh on the upper end and boost the mids a little. I was looking through this thread and found recommendations such as the Bottlehead Crack and Little Dot MK2. The Bottlehead Crack seems like a nice amp but I would prefer to have something that looks nice. I own a pretty nice PC rig and would rather not have an ugly looking wood box next to my PC.

How does the Little Dot MK2 compare to Crack?
How about the Beyer A20?
Other recommendations?

I am just outputting from my PC 3.5mm. I guess I would need a DAC as well? Which one is more important to start off if I can't get both at the same time?

Are there tube DAC/AMPs?

I have the T90 non chrome.

I run them from either a 1970s vintage Pioneer SA 9800 ( or any equal SA/SX ) or a Schiit Lyr ( Version 1) adapted to 6SN7 tubes or a Schiit Valhalla 2 (with warm tubes like Mullard or Brimar) or a DarkVoice 336 SE with a 6SN7 tube or adapted to a 6F8G tube.

The T90 sounds wonderful from all of these to me. The treble harshness is reduced by all of these options.

The Pioneer (and many other vintage amps, as well) is a really good choice if you do not want to mess with tubes, However, the Lyr 1 with Sylvania 6SN7 tubes is great as is the DarkVoice with a Sylvinia 6F8G (VT99). The DarkVoice can be a pain to find a tube without noise, or some just modify it. I have a few tubes both 6SN7 & 6F8G that are totally quite, so I am good to go. The Valhalla 2 with warm tubes is a very safe option for the T90.

Remember the Valhalla 2 and DarkVoice are OTL and may not work as well with other headphones as the hybrid amps. Vintage amps generally have high impedance resistors (120 - 330 ohms is common) on the headphone output and may not sound great with low impedance headphones, YMMV.

A DAC should make a difference over PC output. I am currently favoring Schiit Multibit, some claim they have some brightness in the treble, I find them better than D/S DACs with my systems, so for now that is what I run.

Just My 2 cents, YMMV, IMHO and experience
r2

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4,139 of 4,487
I have the T90 non chrome.

I run them from either a 1970s vintage Pioneer SA 9800 ( or any equal SA/SX ) or a Schiit Lyr ( Version 1) adapted to 6SN7 tubes or a Schiit Valhalla 2 (with warm tubes like Mullard or Brimar) or a DarkVoice 336 SE with a 6SN7 tube or adapted to a 6F8G tube.

The T90 sounds wonderful from all of these to me. The treble harshness is reduced by all of these options.

Just My 2 cents, YMMV, IMHO and experience
r2

Hey,

can you suggest which tubes would go well with the T90 with the Valhalla 2? New to tube amps so could you please name them specifically so I can search them on Ebay? Apart from the treble, also looking for meatier sound and better soundstage. Basically looking for the crack sound:yum: but can't build one. Obviously it won't be the same as crack but you get the drift hopefully.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4,140 of 4,487
Both Mullard (Gt Britain) and the Holland made tubes are on the warm side,the British are a bit warmer. the tubes from Germany are more neutral with more air and space.I find the USA tubes like the Germany ones just not quite as good. I like the Amperex Holland made nice warmth with some sparkle.

Look for balanced pairs and take your time you should find good tube for $15/25 each, less if you get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back