Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,097 of 4,487
Thanks for your suggestions. Really helpful.

I am a newbie to amps. Tube amps are so versatile based on personal preferences. To combo with Mimby, is Valhalla 2 a good choice? Since I am not looking for high end, otherwise I should get much better headphones, should I just get a Crack and DIY? Or is there anything similar to Crack?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't listen to different things first and are not sure what road to go down, I would recommend you consider the Vali 2 from Schiit. You will not find a better tube amp for the money. Save your $ for higher end options if you decide you aren't satisfied with Mimby/Vali 2. Also, Mimby is an excellent DAC choice. Nothing better in my opinion until you get to significantly higher prices.

Also, resist the urge to buy and try a bunch of tubes at the start. You will just waste money. Give yourself time with the stock tube and get to know what it sounds like. If you want to try something else later, you'll be able to hear what is different about it. Bonus: if you decide to swap tubes, the Vali 2 only has one to swap, so you don't have to spend a lot.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #4,098 of 4,487
Anyone using the FiiO E18 with the T90?  Would like to know how they sound.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #4,099 of 4,487
  Get the Crack!!

Alex

Thanks, Alex. Do you have any recommendations for non-DIY products? I am not confident to resemble it as a newbie. How about Little Dot Mk3? Or any Schiit?

If you can't listen to different things first and are not sure what road to go down, I would recommend you consider the Vali 2 from Schiit. You will not find a better tube amp for the money. Save your $ for higher end options if you decide you aren't satisfied with Mimby/Vali 2. Also, Mimby is an excellent DAC choice. Nothing better in my opinion until you get to significantly higher prices.

Also, resist the urge to buy and try a bunch of tubes at the start. You will just waste money. Give yourself time with the stock tube and get to know what it sounds like. If you want to try something else later, you'll be able to hear what is different about it. Bonus: if you decide to swap tubes, the Vali 2 only has one to swap, so you don't have to spend a lot.

Thanks for suggestions. Actually, my budget is a bit higher than Vali 2. I don't want anything high-end or upgrade the system right after purchasing a new amp. So how do you think Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2? Or something else? 

Modi multibit whitout question! It is more real to life sounding! More natural, more warm and just better in soundstage and every other way than standart modi uber.
Talking about Beyerdynamic Amps. I honestly think they all are overpriced for that they offer. 1 of all they only work good with high impedance Headphones. And 2 They are not that impressive sounding for asking price. Thats my opinion. For SS amp "Carbon" was good choice for neutral and brighter headphones, but it is discontinued right now. I heard Teac ha 501 have a touch warmness. Can anyone comment about it? It is easier choice just buy tube amp for T90. With SS there isn't much choice.

I admit there is no much SS amp for choosing. Do you have any suggestions for tube amps? Thanks!

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #4,100 of 4,487
  Anyone using the FiiO E18 with the T90?  Would like to know how they sound.

I guess it should work quite well.
FiiO amps are mostly neutral amps. If you like T90's sound signature with crystal clear treble then E18 will work very well. If you want something to tweak the sound signature of the T90 then a tube amp might serve you better.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #4,101 of 4,487
Bear......I would get the Schitt Vahalla2 amp for the Beyers....its kind of designed for the higher impedance cans, but can be used with others.....(not the vali2 IMO).

Also the O2 amp works well with them......not as much power but still drives them nicely.

The Vahalla2 has more than ample power at 250 ohms!!

The crack tube amp to me is one of the nicest sounding amps for Beyer 250/600 ohm cans....really a swell pairing.

So the OTL Schitt Vahalla2 should give you the same type of experience...

I am thinking of getting one just so I can see for myself!!! 

Like I need another amp, I have them all over the place here!! LOL~

Alex

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4,102 of 4,487
  Bear......I would get the Schitt Vahalla2 amp for the Beyers....its kind of designed for the higher impedance cans, but can be used with others.....

Also the O2 amp works well with them......not as much power but still drives them nicely.

The Vahalla2 has more than ample power at 250 ohms!!

The crack tube amp to me is one of the nicest sounding amps for Beyer 250/600 ohm cans....really a swell pairing.

So the OTL Schitt Vahalla2 should give you the same type of experience...

I am thinking of getting one just so I can see for myself!!! 

Like I need another amp, I have them all over the place here!! LOL~

Alex

Thanks so much for the inputs. One last question. What kinds of tubes for more suitable? Stock or Mullard? What tubes are you using for crack for now?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,103 of 4,487
Bear.....oh my!! You will get all kinds of responses on tubes..

But let me be blunt: The stock tubes will work just fine....

In my Crack I use a RCA 6AS7G with a RCA 12AU7. They came with the kit. They work wonderfully.

I also have a pile of tubes and have chased audio nirvana all the way to the end of my bank vault...the stock tubes I got sound as good as any others I have tried, even those $200 tubes...IMO.

Put your money into your headphones and good music!

Alex

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,104 of 4,487
  Bear.....oh my!! You will get all kinds of responses on tubes..

But let me be blunt: The stock tubes will work just fine....

In my Crack I use a RCA 6AS7G with a RCA 12AU7. They came with the kit. They work wonderfully.

I also have a pile of tubes and have chased audio nirvana all the way to the end of my bank vault...the stock tubes I got sound as good as any others I have tried, even those $200 tubes...IMO.

Put your money into your headphones and good music!

Alex

Well said. I totally believe these are truth. Headphone and music are definitely more important. :)

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #4,105 of 4,487
Thanks, Alex. Do you have any recommendations for non-DIY products? I am not confident to resemble it as a newbie. How about Little Dot Mk3? Or any Schiit?

Thanks for suggestions. Actually, my budget is a bit higher than Vali 2. I don't want anything high-end or upgrade the system right after purchasing a new amp. So how do you think Valhalla 2 or Lyr 2? Or something else? 

I think the Gustard H10 pairs well with the T90 got a SS amp.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #4,106 of 4,487
I have an original Valhalla and it pairs well with the T90. I also find the Apogee Groove to be an excellent match for someone on a smaller budget.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #4,107 of 4,487
  Get the Crack!!

Alex

After I tested the A20 from my kind friend, I have decided to buy a tube amp. Valhalla is indeed a good choice. However, by the time I placed the order, I found this kind offer from John:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833782/bottlehead-crack-tube-amp-with-speedball-custom-base-extra-tubes

I have already enjoyed this amp soooo much. The sound blows my mind. I am amazed that Crack gives more details and clarity than A20. The soundstage is enlarged so much. The treble problem in T90 is much tamed. I have zero complaints about this amp. Although I cannot say this is THE BEST amp for T90 on the market, I have to admit this is the best deal. Definitely worth the money. 

Thanks for the terrific advice. 

Now, I am officially entering the tube world. To be honest, the stock tubes from Crack are actually pretty good. They are not some cheap or random tubes on eBay. I actually wonder where Bottlehead buys the tubes, especially the power tube. Does anyone know?

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #4,108 of 4,487
Congrats! Bear...

I knew you would like the crack....I have 8 headphone amps and the crack is "the" amp that works very well with the T90s and T1's etc...IMO!

I went thru the "tube thing" and the stock (the ones which Bottlehead has on hand to ship) were a RCA 6AS7G and  12AU7....and these are just wonderful.

So dont worry about that "next" boutique tube, you have a good setup and throwing more money at this will not make it very much better....

Alex

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #4,110 of 4,487
  What's the sound signature of the Chrome edition? V-shaped? They're relatively cheap and I may grab one

I don't think the chrome edition differs in terms of sound signature. It's just the exterior design. It's still the same T90. Overall,Its balanced with a very good mids and details but the highs is something that you wanna take note for especially if you have an issue with piercing highs. Might wanna get an amp to tame that highs though. Personally, I would say, just grab one. Its an awesome pair of headphones :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back