Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #4,141 of 4,487
Hey,

can you suggest which tubes would go well with the T90 with the Valhalla 2? New to tube amps so could you please name them specifically so I can search them on Ebay? Apart from the treble, also looking for meatier sound and better soundstage. Basically looking for the crack sound:yum: but can't build one. Obviously it won't be the same as crack but you get the drift hopefully.

Like Kozic said, but more specific, I have used these:

ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961

CV2492 (E88CC) - Ediswan Brimar - 1966 - Rochester factory

PCC88 SEL Lorenz - Falcon Logo (this is a 7volt tube)

ECC88 Philips - Heerlen - Jan/March 1969

I did not like the Philips as much as the others with the T90, not a bad match however.

r2

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,142 of 4,487
I have the T90 non chrome.

I run them from either a 1970s vintage Pioneer SA 9800 ( or any equal SA/SX ) or a Schiit Lyr ( Version 1) adapted to 6SN7 tubes or a Schiit Valhalla 2 (with warm tubes like Mullard or Brimar) or a DarkVoice 336 SE with a 6SN7 tube or adapted to a 6F8G tube.

The T90 sounds wonderful from all of these to me. The treble harshness is reduced by all of these options.

The Pioneer (and many other vintage amps, as well) is a really good choice if you do not want to mess with tubes, However, the Lyr 1 with Sylvania 6SN7 tubes is great as is the DarkVoice with a Sylvinia 6F8G (VT99). The DarkVoice can be a pain to find a tube without noise, or some just modify it. I have a few tubes both 6SN7 & 6F8G that are totally quite, so I am good to go. The Valhalla 2 with warm tubes is a very safe option for the T90.

Remember the Valhalla 2 and DarkVoice are OTL and may not work as well with other headphones as the hybrid amps. Vintage amps generally have high impedance resistors (120 - 330 ohms is common) on the headphone output and may not sound great with low impedance headphones, YMMV.

A DAC should make a difference over PC output. I am currently favoring Schiit Multibit, some claim they have some brightness in the treble, I find them better than D/S DACs with my systems, so for now that is what I run.

Just My 2 cents, YMMV, IMHO and experience
r2

Thanks for the response.

I'm looking into Valhalla 2 since I'm not looking to spend more than 400 on an amp. I also saw the Little Dot MK3's on Massdrop for $219.99. Have you heard of T90 with Little Dot MK3's? The MK3's retail for 300+ on Amazon but is 36% off on Massdrop so it sounds like a great deal.

Also, I'm pretty new to the audiophile world and have not personally had a Tube Amp system before. My dad is an audiophile but I don't really know too much about it myself, just got into it recently. How much would these tubes cost? And why not keep the same tubes that come stock with the amp?

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,143 of 4,487
Thanks for the response.

I'm looking into Valhalla 2 since I'm not looking to spend more than 400 on an amp. I also saw the Little Dot MK3's on Massdrop for $219.99. Have you heard of T90 with Little Dot MK3's? The MK3's retail for 300+ on Amazon but is 36% off on Massdrop so it sounds like a great deal.

Also, I'm pretty new to the audiophile world and have not personally had a Tube Amp system before. My dad is an audiophile but I don't really know too much about it myself, just got into it recently. How much would these tubes cost? And why not keep the same tubes that come stock with the amp?

Never listened to a Little Dot.

Some stocks tubes are fine others not so much. Within stock tube families there is great variety, so keeping within the same 6BZ7 or 6N1P line does not guarantee that the sound will be the same. Tubes change over the years even when numbered/named the same.

My collection tubes are all less than $100 US / tube with many of them around $20 - $30 per tube. A few were less than $10 per tube. Careful shopping, trying some odd things and luck play into finding a value tube.

Paying big for certain tubes will generally provide great sound, you should learn what to expect that sound to be first though.

Finding a tube that works with your system, headphones and ears is a journey. I find that I can match amps to headphones with a tube change. One tube type for T90 another for Sennheiser HD 650 and so forth. The same way some people match amps to headphones. Honestly, I do some of both.

Down the rabbit hole, and sorry about your wallet :)

Note: The Vali 2 is a great amp to learn about tubes, it can use a large variety and only requires one at a time.
Add the Modi MultiBit and a great system is born for not a large outlay.
Start with the stock tube and a warm tube as discussed and explore from there.

IMHO,
r2

Apr 29, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,144 of 4,487
Never listened to a Little Dot.

Some stocks tubes are fine others not so much. Within stock tube families there is great variety, so keeping within the same 6BZ7 or 6N1P line does not guarantee that the sound will be the same. Tubes change over the years even when numbered/named the same.

My collection tubes are all less than $100 US / tube with many of them around $20 - $30 per tube. A few were less than $10 per tube. Careful shopping, trying some odd things and luck play into finding a value tube.

Paying big for certain tubes will generally provide great sound, you should learn what to expect that sound to be first though.

Finding a tube that works with your system, headphones and ears is a journey. I find that I can match amps to headphones with a tube change. One tube type for T90 another for Sennheiser HD 650 and so forth. The same way some people match amps to headphones. Honestly, I do some of both.

Down the rabbit hole, and sorry about your wallet :)

Note: The Vali 2 is a great amp to learn about tubes, it can use a large variety and only requires one at a time.
Add the Modi MultiBit and a great system is born for not a large outlay.
Start with the stock tube and a warm tube as discussed and explore from there.

IMHO,
r2

How does Modi MultiBit & Vali 2 sound if I decided a year later that T90 is no longer enough for me? Say, if I decided to upgrade from the T90 to the T1 or the HD800S, etc. Looking for a nice DAC & Amp combo that can support more than the T90.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #4,145 of 4,487
How does Modi MultiBit & Vali 2 sound if I decided a year later that T90 is no longer enough for me? Say, if I decided to upgrade from the T90 to the T1 or the HD800S, etc. Looking for a nice DAC & Amp combo that can support more than the T90.

Well,

I have the T1.2 also and the Modi MB/Vali 2 drives it just fine, yet I prefer listening to them from the Lyr v1 with 6SN7 tubes or the Valhalla 2 and my warmer tubes. Both of those amps are driven from a Gunning MultiBit.

It all depends on how much you want to invest.

I do not know about the HD 800S.

I do have a Mjolnir 2 that I primarily use to drive Sennheiser HD 650 in Balanced mode. I would like to get an HD 700 or 800 for this amp. The T1.2 sounds wonderful from the Gungnir 2 single ended, if I roll tubes to a warmer pair than I use for the HD 650. I find that the Lyr 1 with 6SN7s really synergies with the T1 so that is where I listen to them the most.

Like I said; I roll tubes and amps ... to find my "magic".

The Modi MB/Vali 2 is amazing and could be enough for some time. In the future the Modi MB will scale well with the Valhalla 2 or something. With a splitter cable it can drive the Vali 2 and another amp.

Most versatile is probably Lyr 2 (or Mjolnir 2/Gungnir MB) with the Valhalla 2 just behind. Again, it all depends on your budget and how soon up-gradeitis gets to you.

I am also a big fan of the Bifrost Multibit for price/preformance however, many would say the Modi MB has almost the same SQ and is the best value.

YMMV,
r2

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #4,147 of 4,487
Thanks for you quick help guys!! But, just found a used bottlehead crack without speedball with Chatham 2399 tube. So I should prefer this over Valhalla 2 right? I am looking for sound which is exactly as what the Bottlehead Crack is supposed to be like( I wouldnt know exactly as I haven't heard it before). I think even without speedball it should be a very good pairing?

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #4,148 of 4,487
A cople of comments from others and other threads:

"Each system has totally different characteristics which makes it fun."

"Unfortunately, the only way you'd know for sure is try it out yourself."

r2
So I made the order for Modi 2 Multibit and Vali 2, the Vali 2 just arrived, waiting on Modi 2 and the cables. Now I'm searching for a warm tube. You recommended the

I tried googling this but I'm not sure exactly where to get this?

There's a listing for the E88CC Mullard 1969 for 79.99 is that roughly the same or no?

May 3, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,149 of 4,487
So I made the order for Modi 2 Multibit and Vali 2, the Vali 2 just arrived, waiting on Modi 2 and the cables. Now I'm searching for a warm tube. You recommended the

I tried googling this but I'm not sure exactly where to get this?

There's a listing for the E88CC Mullard 1969 for 79.99 is that roughly the same or no?

I found tubes here in the "for sale" forums and on eBay.

PM sent.

r2

May 3, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,150 of 4,487
Tonight I have been listening to:

iPod Nano G3 with ALAC rips of CDs (Celebration of Blues) on shuffle > Pure Digital Dock > coax > Modi MultiBit > PYST RCA > Vale 2 with ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo - June 1961 > Beyerdynamic T90.

Outstanding :)

JMTC,
r2

May 8, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #4,151 of 4,487
T-90 + Centrance dacport hd + Peterek Cable = End Game

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4,153 of 4,487
Negative. Minimum amplification for T90 is at least a Matrix M-Stage amplifier. Out of a phone, it will be quiet, even at max volume. A portable amp will make it louder and more usable, but high-impedance headphones need bigger voltage swing for best sound, otherwise cheaper, more efficient headphones will sound better. Desktop gear is the way to go for T90.
For portable music sources like smart phones, it is best to go with one of the many low-impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT660.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #4,154 of 4,487
Need your vote.

I own a DT 1770 that I like for its near-flat signature;

a DT 880, a reliable Plan B for my mixing job;

and a DT 990 that I sometimes like for watching films although I find it too thin and its mids a bit too recessed to my liking.

Now, would it be worth it, if I spend $200 on a new T90 (brown) for watching movies connected to Oppp HA-2 or RME Babyface and/or a cheap tube amp? Price is very inviting but would it offer anything in addition to or apart from what I am already getting from the other beyers I own?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back