Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #3,586 of 4,487
Not 400i but 400S, i'd say T90 is more clear and detailed, you can hear every string and click, every detail. But brain get used very fast to less detailed sound, of course then you put on T90 and notice the difference instantly. Sound is pretty different. But they say 400i is more detailed than 400S, that's why i ordered them. 400S and T90 very different sounding HP i'd say.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,587 of 4,487
Can anyone that's had these for a while tell me if the ear pads flatten out as much as the DT880/990 velours do over time? I heard they have a different type of pad, and my main gripe with my DT's was that after a couple months they flattened out enough so my ears touched the inner foam and it made them very uncomfortable for me. Out of the box, they were perfect.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,588 of 4,487
Hey, you can check my photos in this ad http://www.head-fi.org/t/799598/fs-byerdynamic-t90-great-condition-eu it is actual photos after 200-300 hrs of use, i didnt noticed any flattering, thoug i saw that my pretty big ears touch inner mesh a bit, i dont feel it but i saw marks on inner mesh, no discomfort at all. Pads are different it is true, they has some pleather on the inner side, maybe some different foam also. Anyway pads is cunsumables i'd say, not a problem to change/upgrade them later.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,589 of 4,487

Next up - pairing the Meridian Explorer (as a dac) to Violectric HPA V100 (amp). This amp has low output impedance but it is very powerful. Haven't heard bass like this on the T90. Like it has been sleeping and woke up to say hello. Seems like the T90 likes a lot of power at least to get its bass pumping (not basshead levels but better in line with the rest of the spectrum, much better controll).

Agreed. These are nice when well amped - through my system the T90's have a very refreshing bass signature. Not basshead levels as you say but quite respectable and good. Meshes well with the highs and mids. Could be tighter in places where the bass is very heavy with lots else going on.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #3,594 of 4,487
these cans are fantastic for gaming. definitely my go to pair for playing bf4, cs & now tom clancy's the division. just the right amount of bass and rumble and great positional sound.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #3,595 of 4,487
I have a pair of T90's which I bought having owned a pair of T51P's.

The T51's were may first pair of remotely serious headphones and I loved the Beyerdynamic sound and lusted for more!

I've had them for somewhere near a year now having sold my beloved hi fi separates which no longer fitted in domestically.

I run them with an ifi Nano iDSD, Micro iCan and a Sony NWZ A10 for which I have the rare direct digital out cable to hook it up to the iDSD.

What can I say? I am blown away by the combo. I am listening to albums I have heard 100's of times and an hearing detail in then I just didn't know as there.

Almost seeing shape to the bass lines, being able to sense exactly how hard a guitar string was plucked, a piano key pressed or a drum hit.

If this sounds like hyperbole then sorry but I really find the sound from them incredible.

Detailed, excellent seperation, tonally pretty neutral.

If you're in the market for a pair of mid range cans then do add these to the must audition list.

For reference I run the iCan a +10db gain and I am just waiting on delivery of an iTub and will report back as to how that affects things.

Am I tempted to audition a pair of T1 2nd gen. Too right but they'd have to be going some for me to splash out on.

I do know that most people who have heard both the T90's and the T1 1st gen reckon the T90's to be 90-95% as good but I'm always after that extra 10%!

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #3,596 of 4,487
I really think everybody who thinks that the T90 sounds too "bright" should first try out the HM5 velour pads before selling or buying a new amp etc. I've been using these pads for a couple months now and I have no intentions on going back to the stock ones. Now I can really appreciate how these cans handle bass. I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music and although the Alpha Primes are spectacularly good for that kind of music, I see myself going for the T90s quite often. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #3,597 of 4,487
  I really think everybody who thinks that the T90 sounds too "bright" should first try out the HM5 velour pads before selling or buying a new amp etc. I've been using these pads for a couple months now and I have no intentions on going back to the stock ones. Now I can really appreciate how these cans handle bass. I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music and although the Alpha Primes are spectacularly good for that kind of music, I see myself going for the T90s quite often. 

I agree that the HM5 pads alter the sound of T90 quite significantly. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,598 of 4,487
Is this the HM5 pads you guys are referring to?

Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads - Suitable For Many Other Large Over The Ear Headphones - AKG, HifiMan, ATH, Philips, Fostex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_wMf6wbXG4QPBK

How easy to be replaced?

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,599 of 4,487
Is this the HM5 pads you guys are referring to?

Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads - Suitable For Many Other Large Over The Ear Headphones - AKG, HifiMan, ATH, Philips, Fostex https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_wMf6wbXG4QPBK

How easy to be replaced?

No. Those are the leather pads. I recommend the straight velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back