Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 15, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,601 of 4,487
Angled velours:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGFVEUE?psc=1

Straight Velours. I can only find red on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00PGMY2VK

Note, I have some angled velours for sale :)

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #3,603 of 4,487
^^
That's the ones 
beerchug.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #3,605 of 4,487
Thank you everyone.

How easy is to replace them? Is it direct pull and install or involves screwing?

Wow, so many possibly answers that are completely inappropriate! Suffice it to say, when one is a true head-fi addict, one gives up screwing.  (ouch)

Replacing the pads is relatively easy. You pull the old ones and stretch and cajole the new ones on.

beyerdynaic added a notch in the DT1770 that makes swapping pads even easier. I haven't been brave enough to file a notch on my T1's, but I might.

Note, My T90 is also for sale, if anyone needs one. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #3,607 of 4,487
Forgive me if this a dumb question, still a noob, but did changing to the angled velour pads in anyway help the soundstage? 

On a similar note, how much bigger is the soundstage of the T1 vs the T90?

Quote:

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #3,608 of 4,487
  Forgive me if this a dumb question, still a noob, but did changing to the angled velour pads in anyway help the soundstage? 

On a similar note, how much bigger is the soundstage of the T1 vs the T90?

Quote:

Sorry, I'm not good at gauging sound stage. I will say the sound stage on the T1 is better, and many would say significantly better. That said, the T90 has pretty good sound stage.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3,610 of 4,487
I have stuck on a set of HM5 pads and am pretty pleased with the result now I've cut out the stretched mesh covering the openings (is there a technical term for this?).

I never had a problem with the T90's being bright but boy if I go back to the stock pads, oosh-they are a bit shrill!

When I put the HM5's I was struck by the difference but it wasn't all good. I felt they muddied the sound somewhat and I was losing so of the exquisite detail, the sense rather than the sound of the music was missing.

So, I took a pair of scissors to the mesh and now I'm pretty happy. The detail, the weight of the music is back.

As a side note I have also upgraded from the Micro iCan to the Micro iCan SE. I will do a proper review of it soon but in the meantime if you're on the fence - just upgrade already. The iCan is good, the iCan SE is much better. If you're thinking of buying one or the other, for the few dollars price difference just buy the SE...

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #3,611 of 4,487
I have stuck on a set of HM5 pads and am pretty pleased with the result now I've cut out the stretched mesh covering the openings (is there a technical term for this?).

I never had a problem with the T90's being bright but boy if I go back to the stock pads, oosh-they are a bit shrill!

When I put the HM5's I was struck by the difference but it wasn't all good. I felt they muddied the sound somewhat and I was losing so of the exquisite detail, the sense rather than the sound of the music was missing.

So, I took a pair of scissors to the mesh and now I'm pretty happy. The detail, the weight of the music is back.

As a side note I have also upgraded from the Micro iCan to the Micro iCan SE. I will do a proper review of it soon but in the meantime if you're on the fence - just upgrade already. The iCan is good, the iCan SE is much better. If you're thinking of buying one or the other, for the few dollars price difference just buy the SE...

I imagine beyerdynamic, Ultrasone, and Sennheier have a name for that piece of material, but it's probably a 39 letter word in german that no one can pronounce :)

There's actually some padding under the O ring that holds the driver in. One recommendation I got earlier in this thread was to keep the mesh on the HM5 pads and remove the beyer padding from inside the cup. I chose to use use the stock pads, so I kept the in-cup padding.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,614 of 4,487
Oh god I'm in audio heaven right now! Was reading through some of the earlier posts in this thread and came across this one regarding settings for a parametric EQ

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607079/beyerdynamic-t90-d/1425#post_10166251

Duly installed Mediamonkey plus Electri-Q and set accordingly...

Wow,what a nice sound my T90's are making right now. I'm from quite traditional hi fi background, back from when EQ's were considered the work of the devil. Well colour me converted!

Highly recommend investigating it off you haven't already.

Now just need to upgrade my dac (most probably to an ifi iDac2 + iUSB 3) and I reckon I'll be there for my bedside system.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #3,615 of 4,487
I finally got a chance to hear these at CanJam at the Beyer booth.

I have definitely found my next headphone!  They sounded amazing!  

I tend to prefer a slightly bright FR, so I ended up liking their SQ waaaay more than the T1-2G (which really surprised me).

For me, Beyer has taken a little too much off the top of the T1-2G for my taste.  Guess I'll have to give the original T1 a listen ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back