Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Mar 22, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,616 of 4,487
I finally got a chance to hear these at CanJam at the Beyer booth.

I have definitely found my next headphone!  They sounded amazing!  

I tend to prefer a slightly bright FR, so I ended up liking their SQ waaaay more than the T1-2G (which really surprised me).

For me, Beyer has taken a little too much off the top of the T1-2G for my taste.  Guess I'll have to give the original T1 a listen ASAP!

I'll bet it won't be hard to find one for sale on the classifieds! :D might even get a good deal

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #3,617 of 4,487
I just swapped the pads on my T90 to the HM5 Hybrid pads, and tried them out for the past hour or so.

The HM5 Hybrid pads bring out the lower end more than the stock pads, but they also make everything else feel very recessed, instrument separation taking a very minor hit as well. The only exception to this would be the highs as they got a tiny tiny bit brighter, sounding a little more metallic in nature. 

I recommend cutting out the mesh on the inside of the pads if you do decide to swap, as it makes them sound muddy. 

I'm going to be switching back to the stock ones because I feel like overall they were better, even though the HM5 pads make the T90 more comfortable, even though they were already super comfy.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3,618 of 4,487
I just swapped the pads on my T90 to the HM5 Hybrid pads, and tried them out for the past hour or so.

The HM5 Hybrid pads bring out the lower end more than the stock pads, but they also make everything else feel very recessed, instrument separation taking a very minor hit as well. The only exception to this would be the highs as they got a tiny tiny bit brighter, sounding a little more metallic in nature. 

I recommend cutting out the mesh on the inside of the pads if you do decide to swap, as it makes them sound muddy. 

I'm going to be switching back to the stock ones because I feel like overall they were better, even though the HM5 pads make the T90 more comfortable, even though they were already super comfy.

I concur. I've been running the HM5's for a few hours a day and whilst removing the mesh helps enormously I was still missing the very fine detail I was heading before.

Yes, isolation was better and the silences black and the trebles restrained but they just didn't quite so it for me after a prolonged listen.

The final moments of the attack and decay of a plucked plucked note, the air around the instruments, the shape of a bass note etc.

Now back to stock but still running the Electri-q settings I mentioned a few posts ago which work exceptionally well with the stock cans.

Jan Garbage - Rarum currently and even his sax is just prefectly tamed (if you've not heard Jan's soprano sax at full tilt you're missing out).

I'd cut the mesh out of mine as well so I can't get a refund on them anymore - ah well, cheaper than tube rolling I suppose :)

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #3,620 of 4,487
I agree about the HM5 pads. They definitely make T90 lose some micro details. The bass becomes more pronounced but kind of shapeless. 

You describe the impact they have very well and it is difficult to define.

They get to 99% of the way to being better but there's just a something they do to the sound that isn't quite right and on a casual listen it can be missed.

Well at least the stock are comfortable and sound good!

And if nothing else it's educated me in just how much difference pads can make -something I wasn't aware of before...

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #3,621 of 4,487
You describe the impact they have very well and it is difficult to define.

They get to 99% of the way to being better but there's just a something they do to the sound that isn't quite right and on a casual listen it can be missed.

Well at least the stock are comfortable and sound good!

And if nothing else it's educated me in just how much difference pads can make -something I wasn't aware of before...

I found that the leathers and hybrids didn't agree with the T90; I liked the angled velours at first, but prefer the flat velours.

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,622 of 4,487
Picked up a used a T90 a few days ago and I'm loving it :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,623 of 4,487
I'm sorry to bring up another post on this subject, can somebody else other than those who already responded on this, confirm that the removal of the thin fabric filter on the HM5 pads improves clarity? It seems pretty acoustically transperant to me.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3,624 of 4,487
I'm sorry to bring up another post on this subject, can somebody else other than those who already responded on this, confirm that the removal of the thin fabric filter on the HM5 pads improves clarity? It seems pretty acoustically transperant to me.

I don't believe that the thin fabric has any particular impact on the sound clarity. It is too thin. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #3,627 of 4,487

You don't believe as in, you've removed it and heard no appreciable difference?

The fabric cannot be removed without destroying the pads so no, I haven't removed them. But as I said it is hard to believe that thin fabric could alter the sound significantly.

Pop off the driver ring and remove the fabric that is under the ring. That is completely reversible as you can just put it back. That will be about the same as cutting out the fabric. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #3,629 of 4,487
Yes, It's definitely not the same thing as removing the disk that's on the baffle, the screen on the HM5 pads is much thinner. I did try it just as i got the pads and the treble was unbearable, very coarse and unrefined, and i'm not one too sensitive to T90's stock treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back