Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Sep 21, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,316 of 4,487
T90 ruins all my other headphones. 
cool.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #3,319 of 4,487
Hello,
I promised to post the impressions after listening to T90 + Lake People G103 HPA and here you go some initials. 

Build quality:
Top notch with very nice anodized aluminum feeling and sturdy chassis. Feeling of the pot are also very nice, smooth and most important for me without any traces of crackling sound when changing the volume!

Sound:
This is just initials, so G103 wasn't even burnt in, just connected out from my Marantz PM6004 tape/recorder output via pair of Chord VEE3 RCA interconnects. Gain left with default setting, so I guess it's +8dB. Other option is to set it up to +14dB, but I think that for 250Ohm cans +8dB is enough giving me landing position on the pot around 60-70% depends on the recording. 

First noise level, nothing, nada! Completely black background even I crank the pot to the maximum position. This is for +8dB gain and T90 cans. As per InnerFidelity review. 

Now, after the first listen what I've noticed first is wider and deeper soundstage comparing to my Caiman MKII headphone out. I've checked it using left/right tests from this webpage: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php, btw, very good source for any tests you'd like to do for your equipment and sound, and perception of the left and right channels is wider and deeper. I was also able to hear it when playing acoustic music, like the E.S.E. CD1 from Blue Coast Records.

Treble is crystal clear and crisp! It may be little too much for someone, but I've noticed that it depends on the recording as well, especially some of the 50/60th jazz records could sound little bit too bright, but I think it's the way they're recorded.

Bass is controlled very well, extends quite deep, but it's not on the first plane as it should be, because listening to the live concert, bass is not the sound you will hear in the first row. It's present and you are able to keep its musical line throughout the whole song, but it's not boosted. For the classical recordings it is enough bass to feel the scale I think, but I need to listen more - just checked with Joyce Di Donato's Stella Di Napoli 24/96 album.

For the midrange and I think this range is more impactful what we hear gives me sort of goose bumps especially when listening to records like Steve Ray Voughan guitar from MOFI The Sky is Crying or Famous Blue Raincoat album from Jennifer Warnes. For the oldies like OJC's Cannonball Adderley Know What I Mean or Something Else APO release or John Coltrane Giant Steps the PRAT was so nice that I almost started dancing. Instruments like guitars, violins, voices or saxes are so nice sounding with body and "juice". I would summarize it as the amp gives to my T90 weight and body to the sound.

Up to this stage, when I definitely need more time to listen to various records, I could say that the G103 is rather neutral and does not color the sound at all presenting you what exactly was recorded - this is how it should be I think. Comparing to my other gear headphone outs where even considered to be flat by design they adding some little boost here and there - at least to my ears. So far happy owner of T90/G103 combo, but as I said I need more time and keep you posted while proceeding with more listening sessions.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,320 of 4,487
  Hello,
I promised to post the impressions after listening to T90 + Lake People G103 HPA and here you go some initials. 

Build quality:
Top notch with very nice anodized aluminum feeling and sturdy chassis. Feeling of the pot are also very nice, smooth and most important for me without any traces of crackling sound when changing the volume!

Sound:
This is just initials, so G103 wasn't even burnt in, just connected out from my Marantz PM6004 tape/recorder output via pair of Chord VEE3 RCA interconnects. Gain left with default setting, so I guess it's +8dB. Other option is to set it up to +14dB, but I think that for 250Ohm cans +8dB is enough giving me landing position on the pot around 60-70% depends on the recording. 

First noise level, nothing, nada! Completely black background even I crank the pot to the maximum position. This is for +8dB gain and T90 cans. As per InnerFidelity review. 

Now, after the first listen what I've noticed first is wider and deeper soundstage comparing to my Caiman MKII headphone out. I've checked it using left/right tests from this webpage: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php, btw, very good source for any tests you'd like to do for your equipment and sound, and perception of the left and right channels is wider and deeper. I was also able to hear it when playing acoustic music, like the E.S.E. CD1 from Blue Coast Records.

Treble is crystal clear and crisp! It may be little too much for someone, but I've noticed that it depends on the recording as well, especially some of the 50/60th jazz records could sound little bit too bright, but I think it's the way they're recorded.

Bass is controlled very well, extends quite deep, but it's not on the first plane as it should be, because listening to the live concert, bass is not the sound you will hear in the first row. It's present and you are able to keep its musical line throughout the whole song, but it's not boosted. For the classical recordings it is enough bass to feel the scale I think, but I need to listen more - just checked with Joyce Di Donato's Stella Di Napoli 24/96 album.

For the midrange and I think this range is more impactful what we hear gives me sort of goose bumps especially when listening to records like Steve Ray Voughan guitar from MOFI The Sky is Crying or Famous Blue Raincoat album from Jennifer Warnes. For the oldies like OJC's Cannonball Adderley Know What I Mean or Something Else APO release or John Coltrane Giant Steps the PRAT was so nice that I almost started dancing. Instruments like guitars, violins, voices or saxes are so nice sounding with body and "juice". I would summarize it as the amp gives to my T90 weight and body to the sound.

Up to this stage, when I definitely need more time to listen to various records, I could say that the G103 is rather neutral and does not color the sound at all presenting you what exactly was recorded - this is how it should be I think. Comparing to my other gear headphone outs where even considered to be flat by design they adding some little boost here and there - at least to my ears. So far happy owner of T90/G103 combo, but as I said I need more time and keep you posted while proceeding with more listening sessions.

Thanks for the thorough review. Of my amps, Matrix M-Stage sounds best with T90. Great synergy.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,321 of 4,487
... Up to this stage, when I definitely need more time to listen to various records, I could say that the G103 is rather neutral and does not color the sound at all presenting you what exactly was recorded - this is how it should be I think. ... So far happy owner of T90/G103 combo, but as I said I need more time and keep you posted while proceeding with more listening sessions.

A friend of mine said the same thing about the G103 with his HD650.  The headamp's internals from what I've seen consist of a speaker amp adapted well to headphone use, no wonder that it makes a good combination with HD650 and T90.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,322 of 4,487
...Up to this stage, when I definitely need more time to listen to various records, I could say that the G103 is rather neutral and does not color the sound at all presenting you what exactly was recorded - this is how it should be I think. ... So far happy owner of T90/G103 combo, but as I said I need more time and keep you posted while proceeding with more listening sessions.

A friend of mine said the same thing about the G103 with his HD650.  The headamp's internals from what I've seen consist of a speaker amp adapted well to headphone use, no wonder that it makes a good combination with HD650 and T90.

Yes, that's true. Simple design with LM1800 series amp. And you know what, indeed the sonic signature perceived is very similar to what I hear over my speakers as well, so I am considering this as a good sign. It is not an amp which blow your pants out to the space, but rather it will present how the music was recorded. We need to keep in mind that almost 80% of the recording quality is how it was captured.

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #3,326 of 4,487
Hi. Does anyone have the Grado PS500 or PS500e and the T90? How does the sound compare? Thanks.

I auditioned a PS500 not so long ago and to me they sounded compressed and darker compared to T90. Being darker is not a negative characterstic per se but PS500 have poorer dynamics and resolution and sound "veiled" in comparison. T90 also has punchier bass and is imho better balanced overall. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #3,327 of 4,487
Thanks. Wow. I have the PS500e's. I don't know how they compare to the PS500's but I presume largely the same. If they are veiled and less dynamic than the T90's then the T90 must be one hell of a revealing headphone because I thought the Grado's very really revealing and dynamic. Thanks for your thoughts.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #3,328 of 4,487
Hi. Does anyone have the Grado PS500 or PS500e and the T90? How does the sound compare? Thanks.

I have the RS2e and the T90. The T90 to me sounds lusher, with more mids, but also sounds more "contained", and possibly compressed. The grados are very detailed, and clearly have a different signature than the beyerdynamics. I haven't had them long enough to decided which I like better, so I bounce between them. I do find the T90s more comfortable, but the grados are also extremely comfortable when worn property (high on the ear).

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3,329 of 4,487
I had the Grado 325is for a year or so and they are indeed articulate and bright, but after lots of other listening to...other cans I have sold all my cans and
have kept the T90's..they IMO are as accurate or more so, just the tone is as some have described as lucious, musical and to me a bit warm....works well 
with most music I listen to.....

The only cans I would like to try are the 2nd gen T1's.

Alex

Oct 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,330 of 4,487
Thanks for your help all. Another question if I may... I've got the chance to get the Beyer T90 at a good price. I use my iMac 27 (late 2012) as the source. Currently my Grado's sound great straight out of the headphone port. From what i've read, the Beyer T90's seem to be picky and need a warm amp?? I live in the UK and can't get some of the recommendations listed her such as Schiit and the Crack Tube amp. Can anyone tell me how the T90's sound straight out of an iMac and also whether can recommend a good dac or dac/amp or amp that would improve sound for less than £200? Thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back