Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,001 of 4,487
  "pleasant sounding headphone? Warm tone, with some treble, and bass that's reaches a little low and is textured"- Yeah, that's about right to my ears. I wouldn't characterize them as cold and analytical as a DT880 or K701, SA5000 and certainly not HD800's surgical precision. But, going from my very vague memory of the Ultrasone PRO900's i'd definitely say the T90 stomps all over them in terms of separation and texture, so that'd make them more analytical in my book. Having a properly contolled bass response also helps a lot. I think that you find the HFI580 more "revealing" because you are accustomed to the hyper U-shape Ultrasone sound house. True detail is there when you hear more body and weight to the notes, without sensing a decrease in clarity, not just 'sharper' transients.

However, there are certainly more cold and analytical open heaphones out there, but usually the trade-off is average bass extention at best. I think you should try to upgrade to a better closed headphones if you're looking for a more refined HFI580, a Fostex TH600 maybe?

On second thought: No, I don't find the T90 as predominantly warm with some treble thrown-in... But they do possess some added warmness in the mid section that gives them a fuller and weighty tone than how purely analytical headphones would present.

Thanks so much for your response. I believe you perceptions may be right. I've been listening to the HFI 580 from some time now. Coming from them Vocals do sound more forward on my T90s. and there's certainly more weight to the notes. If the T90s have such a warmish tone to them then how come people still pair them with Tube amps like the Bottlehead crack? I would also appreciate any other info I can get on the T90 from other owners as well. 

May 29, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #3,002 of 4,487
  Thanks so much for your response. I believe you perceptions may be right. I've been listening to the HFI 580 from some time now. Coming from them Vocals do sound more forward on my T90s. and there's certainly more weight to the notes. If the T90s have such a warmish tone to them then how come people still pair them with Tube amps like the Bottlehead crack? I would also appreciate any other info I can get on the T90 from other owners as well. 

"warm, cold" is relative.

It all depends on your current reference. HFI 580's sound sig is etched into your brain so thats your "starting point".
If time is not a problem i would advise a whole week or two of listening nothing but T90, so your ears can adjust.

Then go back to your other headphones and you should have better perspective, and your decision on whether to keep them or sell them will be easy.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,005 of 4,487
How does the T90 compare to the 990. I got a fairly modded pair of 990 and curious how it fairs vs the T90.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,006 of 4,487
I could compare the T 90 with my old DT 990 Pro(600 Ohm), in a test arrangement(dont know how i should call it right) from hifi-forum.de and supported from Beyerdynamic with a testspecimen in 1992.

The first description in short impressions(in compare with this old version), the T90 sounds minimal "brighter", have slightly more stage(it ist not so much, as thougt), a bit more details. Details are very impressionable.
V-Shape is there on both phones, bass qualtity is better by T 90. 

Reviewthread in Hifi-Forum.de(german language) here:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-211-482.html

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #3,008 of 4,487

The first description in short impressions(in compare with this old version), the T90 sounds minimal "brighter", have slightly more stage(it ist not so much, as thougt), a bit more details. Details are very impressionable.
V-Shape is there on both phones, bass qualtity is better by T 90. 

I could agree with every word. I had DT990 250Ohm version, both 990 and T90 bought recently and should be from latest batches.

But keep i mind that T90 has some nasty peaks and dips in high end, not every music genre appreciate this and sometimes EQ is needed to cure the harshness.

This is all IMO :) 

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,009 of 4,487
  How does the T90 compare to the 990. I got a fairly modded pair of 990 and curious how it fairs vs the T90.

I upgraded to the T90s from 250 ohm DT990 Pros, they are completely different class entirely. The DT990s have more mid-bass, are airier, and have a much wider and better soundstage. The T90s are thousands of times more precise (that's Beyer's goal with these) while being able to push out more bass should you choose, they are much more responsive to everything done to them, they are very efficient, and handle all genres pretty well. The DT990s are like a support class in an MMO, they backup the bass, and treble without letting the mids suffer. The T90s are like a peon and do exactly as they're told, but are a little hot tempered if you get what I mean there.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #3,010 of 4,487
I found the t90s to be much more refined overall compared to the dt990s. Bass quality and extension are fantastic for an open back can, one of the best i've heard. Coming from grado headphones neither the dt880 or dt990 had that uppermid/treble clarity and extension that i like but the t90 pretty much nails it. A lot of people will find them bright so they're definitely not to everyones taste and can be unforgiving of poorly recorded/mastered tracks. They're one of the few cans i've heard that can handle most genres quite well, expansive enough for large orchestral music, enough low end slam for hip-hop and edm and beautiful through the midrange to really bring vocals to life. Although its soundstage is not the widest i've heard one thing that continues to amaze me is the depth they're able to portray, that combined with its great imaging really creates an almost 3d like sound.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,012 of 4,487
I present to thee, the T90B:

Grabbed some Brainwavs pads, and did one small mod: i added a small circle of double-ply tissue beneath the foam driver covers.

The sound is absolutely changed for the better - actually it sounds a bit like the Oppo PM1 now, to my ears - linear, slightly warm, with tight, deep, well-controlled bass. It definitely tames the highs, and some might lament the 5k dip without the extra 6-10k energy, but to my ears it sounds much more natural now. One thing I really love about the sound with this mod/pads is that the truly deep subbass really comes out like it couldn't before with the peaky upper registers - with less treble, I can increase my preferred listening volume, which really helps show off the depth and texture of the low end, as well as the refinement and presence of the mids.

Even with just the Brainwavz pads, the sound definitely takes a turn for the better. I recommend these pads 10/10 to anyone who wishes the T90 was a smidge less bright. The tissue mod helps too, for sure, although I have to disclaim - don't blame me if you take your headphones apart and break them ^_^

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #3,013 of 4,487
Those pads have become a pretty basic "Head-Fi Modding 101" accessory eh? I had a pair to try on my Sextetts but didn't fit, pity i've never thought about trying them on the Beyers, though i'm pretty content with the sound as-is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back