Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #2,943 of 4,487
  Anyone ever tried just putting a bit of tissue paper between the drivers and driver covers to try and tame the treble?

I just decided to grow older - boom!! treble tamed. Only hear until 17kHz - makes lots of things easier, lol

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #2,944 of 4,487

Actually I tried, but I don't think it works. It doesn't reduce the over amount of treble, but makes the sound dull.

I've just done it..I agree it takes away some of the excitement, but it actually sounds more neutral to me now. I took a tissue, spread it out, folded it in half once, and cut the proper sized circle (so basically a circle that's 2 tissues thick), popped off the ring that holds the driver cover in place, and put the tissue between the driver and the foam cover.

I can actually get the volume quite a bit higher now without that 6-10k spike reaching fatiguing levels, the tone sounds less colored / more neutral, and with the increase in tolerable volume the bass comes out very nicely.

This mod has actually really improved my perception of the soundstage, perhaps due to greater dynamics at louder volumes / higher power, or maybe just an overall less aggressive sound - I keep taking them off to see if background noises are coming from my desktop speakers XD That hasn't happened since I first got the HD650.

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #2,946 of 4,487
Well, that graph tell us that not a single instrument goes over 3,9 kHz, but EQuing 5..20kHz can be heard clearly :)

And about T90 treble, i feel the same, sometimes it is too harsh (i'am 30 don't know how high i hear :) ) And can be fatiguing.. but A LOT depends' on recording.

ATM i came to sometimes EQ them in foobar to 5-7 @ -1, 10-14 @ -2 and -3 @ 20kHz.. it is not always necessary but do help with some songs. And i keep experimenting.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #2,947 of 4,487
  Well, that graph tell us that not a single instrument goes over 3,9 kHz, but EQuing 5..20kHz can be heard clearly :)

And about T90 treble, i feel the same, sometimes it is too harsh (i'am 30 don't know how high i hear :) ) And can be fatiguing.. but A LOT depends' on recording.

ATM i came to sometimes EQ them in foobar to 5-7 @ -1, 10-14 @ -2 and -3 @ 20kHz.. it is not always necessary but do help with some songs. And i keep experimenting.

The graph shown here only related to the fundamental frequencies. The harmonics of some instrument extend beyond the limits of hearing & even the CD reproduction capabilities. Cymbals can in some cases have harmonics up near to 40KHz.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,948 of 4,487
Well, there is certainly something up there. But since I am not a bat I don't care for anything beyond 20kHz :wink: since my hearing is currently limited at 17kHZ and it won't get any better with age.....

Anyhow, here is a free test: http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/can-you-hear-this-hearing-test/

and here is a full hearing test:
http://myhearingtest.net

Cheers,
K

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #2,949 of 4,487
Definitely nothing over 20 kHz but i'd say i hear 19 at high volume... But it is unpleasant, though there is almost no audible sound but ears clearly "feel" it..

And it seems my hearing is damaged according to test, strange that i hear high's better... But maybe that is the problem.. my ears loosing mids and that;s why treble seems so harsh :/

I calibrated test few times and seems it is in normal range, and i really dont think i have hearing problems :) i hope so :D

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #2,950 of 4,487
  I just decided to grow older

I decided that a long time ago. Now I'm paying the price.
mad.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #2,952 of 4,487
I'm currently using an Audio-GD NFB29 (High Gain) together with my T90s, and it sounds like heaven. 

Just a couple of notes: The T90s are -from my point of view- designed to be used listening at high quality masters and certain types of music. I only use them to listen at classical music (from opera to barroque quartets) and jazz.

I've given them a try listening at some pop groups at 320kbps (.mp3) or AC/DC recordings and I could not wear the T90s more than three songs. 
biggrin.gif

Just my two cents...

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,955 of 4,487
  I'm currently using an Audio-GD NFB29 (High Gain) together with my T90s, and it sound like heaven. 

Just a couple of notes: The T90s are -from my point of view- designed to be used listening at high quality masters and certain types of music. I only use them to listen at classical music (from opera to barroque quartets) and jazz.

I've given them a try listening at some pop groups at 320kbps (.mp3) or AC/DC recordings and I could not wear the T90s more than three songs. 
biggrin.gif

Just my two cents...

Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back