Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 29, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,936 of 4,487
Hey guys, just got the some t90's in over the weekend. Love them, just what I was expecting coming from some 990 pros. I had some mini xlr's lying around from a balanced setup I was going to do on my he-400's but the room in those was very very tight, so I stayed stock setup leaving me the mini xlr's for another project. I'll go balanced later but just wanted to get this done last night so stayed single input. Nothing fancy but turned out good. I haven't looked in this thread and I'm sure guys have done this before but here's mine with a few pics. For anyone thinking about doing something similar, make sure you use a file and go toward the silver on the cup to clear the lip that the driver sits on in the cup. I still had to take my dremel and clearance the nut on the back side of the jack. One could also use jb weld or glue to the same effect. I just had none on hand so I used the nut. A tiny gap from the stock entry hole can be seen around the jack since you have to go away from the stock entry hole to make this work. A slightly larger flanged diameter jack would've been perfect.  These headphones sound great with the crack plus speedball combo. They sound good with other amps of mine (Jonokuchi, Project ember) but I find they sound best with the crack. Thought I'd pop by and say hi to fellow t90 owners. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,938 of 4,487
Curious question, I wanna make sure, would the Little Dot I+ do a good job with the T-90? I still planning to get a MKII, but I just wanted to know that's all.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,939 of 4,487
  Hey guys, just got the some t90's in over the weekend. Love them, just what I was expecting coming from some 990 pros. I had some mini xlr's lying around from a balanced setup I was going to do on my he-400's but the room in those was very very tight, so I stayed stock setup leaving me the mini xlr's for another project. I'll go balanced later but just wanted to get this done last night so stayed single input. Nothing fancy but turned out good. I haven't looked in this thread and I'm sure guys have done this before but here's mine with a few pics. For anyone thinking about doing something similar, make sure you use a file and go toward the silver on the cup to clear the lip that the driver sits on in the cup. I still had to take my dremel and clearance the nut on the back side of the jack. One could also use jb weld or glue to the same effect. I just had none on hand so I used the nut. A tiny gap from the stock entry hole can be seen around the jack since you have to go away from the stock entry hole to make this work. A slightly larger flanged diameter jack would've been perfect.  These headphones sound great with the crack plus speedball combo. They sound good with other amps of mine (Jonokuchi, Project ember) but I find they sound best with the crack. Thought I'd pop by and say hi to fellow t90 owners. 
smily_headphones1.gif

In that third photo, did you really have to chip away all that plastic or you didn't know that the metal prong holding the cable in place can simply be pulled out?  Or you didn't know how to remove the plastic ring that locks the baffle in place?
edit: oops

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,940 of 4,487
Not sure if you're talking about the exterior or interior shot. I removed the metal keeper that held the stock cable and then used a file to enlarge the stock entry cable hole for the jack. I had to use a dremel to grind down the nut on the jack to get clearance for the driver to sit flush on the driver ledge and not run into the nut. The bits of plastic removed in the pic ( interior) was from the dremel grinding wheel hitting the plastic. Space is too tight to not hit any plastic. Perhaps with a flexible shaft. All hole enlargement was done with a hand file.

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,945 of 4,487
Does anyone have a t90 and a dt990pro? Both are 250ohm and my iphone can drive the 990pro pretty well, just wondering in terms of sensitivity how the two compare, like if I take the t90 on a trip if the iphone can do well or the fiio e11 can do well, or if they should be mated to my Yamaha AVR?

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,947 of 4,487
Does anyone have a t90 and a dt990pro? Both are 250ohm and my iphone can drive the 990pro pretty well, just wondering in terms of sensitivity how the two compare, like if I take the t90 on a trip if the iphone can do well or the fiio e11 can do well, or if they should be mated to my Yamaha AVR?

I have both as per my first post, the t90's actually require just a smidge less drive to achieve the same volume. But do yourself a favor and get an amp. My buddy here at work has the 990 pro's on my recommendation and they sounded absolutely awful out of his iphone. He was stoked when he got an amp. I sold him the schiit vali I was trying and it works great for such a modest priced amp. If you think they sound ok out of your phone you'll be floored with how they sound with a proper amp. And the t90's sound much much nicer than the 990 pro's. A bit less booming bass but everything is much cleaner and clearer with solid well defined bass. The 990 pros sound muddy in comparison, and I love my 990 pro's. T90's very recommended......but with an amp 
wink_face.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,948 of 4,487
URGENT , 

Need someone who owns a T90 to take a step by step photo on removing the headband padding , i got a feeling my right wire got distrupted somewhere inside , as i cannot fully retract my right earcup , there seem to be a resisting motion against it ! HELP !!!

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,949 of 4,487
I have both as per my first post, the t90's actually require just a smidge less drive to achieve the same volume. But do yourself a favor and get an amp. My buddy here at work has the 990 pro's on my recommendation and they sounded absolutely awful out of his iphone. He was stoked when he got an amp. I sold him the schiit vali I was trying and it works great for such a modest priced amp. If you think they sound ok out of your phone you'll be floored with how they sound with a proper amp. And the t90's sound much much nicer than the 990 pro's. A bit less booming bass but everything is much cleaner and clearer with solid well defined bass. The 990 pros sound muddy in comparison, and I love my 990 pro's. T90's very recommended......but with an amp :wink_face:  

Sweet, yeah my fiio just seems to turn the 990pros into bass cannons, ....... Like literally feel the impact on my ears. My big bear def does snap everything up. But yeah via the iphone the 990pro whips everything else I own. Sooooo now I'm even more impatient about getting my T90 delivered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back