Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Feb 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #1,726 of 4,487
  Nope, I have 2 odacs and they are "perfect'...totally transparent, they just do what they are supposed to.

A.

If you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

Just curious though, how do you know that your odacs are "totally transparent"?

Do you believe all DAC's sound identical?

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,727 of 4,487

I've never heard the LCD2. You think it's roughly comparable?

The T90 is nothing at all like the LCD2. The LCD2 is not nearly as bright and I would describe its sound as neutral overall. I would say the T90 has more detail than the LCD2 but the LCD2 has a much wider stage, much more bass, and a livelier sound than the T90. I prefer the T90 because it has a more natural and effortless sound to my ears. I also personally gravitate towards the T90's brighter signature.

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #1,728 of 4,487
Pulled the trigger on the T90's, arrival is scheduled for later today if the weather allows it. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,731 of 4,487
Hi I own both T90 and LCD2. And there is still a big difference between the two. The LCD2 is even more detailed but more neutral. And it also has a much bigger and deeper soundstage than the T90. So I think the T90 cannot compete with the LCD2 yet. But it can certailny with HD700 and e.g. AT WHX1000 for example.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #1,732 of 4,487
Hey, I'm looking for some advice. I currently own a T90 and am powering it with an Aune T1. I love the sound - especially the detail and airiness - of the T90, but it can be too sibilant at times, especially with certain tracks (ex: Florence + The Machine, hip-hop with heavily accented hi-hats, etc). I've heard that the Aune is a relatively bright amp and so was wondering if changing my amp would help with my T90s being too harsh. I haven't really heard any headphone amps besides the Aune and the super hi-end ones the shop I auditioned phones at had, and so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a super warm amp that would work well with the T90s and that costs less than say $100-150. I was looking at the Maverick Tubemagic A1 since another head-fier has his up for sale here, and was wondering if anyone could comment on that.

Thanks!

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #1,733 of 4,487
Where did you buy your T90 from LEGendARY

Hey, 

I got them from ebay,  ProAudioStar seller for $409. Open box unused.
I received the headphones earlier tonight, seems as good as new to me.

I am confused .. I don't have much of an experience with upper mid fi/hi fi headphones. 

Very open and very spacious and bright with impressive soundstage to be honest. 

But oh man, ZZZZZZZZZZ SSSSSSSS TSTSTSTSTS.. this is what I am hearing right now.
After 15 minutes of listening, my ears are fatigued. I just feel that the sound waves/air is being  pushed against my ear drums with force.
Maybe, the T90 tend to give the impression of having more details, but to my ears, it's just colored by boosting the treble and emphasizing high frequency notes. 

Comfort is very good, but I prefer the Sennheisers in that regard. 

I will be listening to them for some time before I come to a final conclusion. 

I was torn between the HiFiMan HE-500 and these for some time .. but decided to wait for the HE-400i as it might offer some improvements over the HE-400 in the comfort department, and maybe in the sound as well fro $499.99.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,734 of 4,487
  Hey, 

I am confused .. I don't have much of an experience with upper mid fi/hi fi headphones. 

But oh man, ZZZZZZZZZZ SSSSSSSS TSTSTSTSTS.. this is what I am hearing right now.
After 15 minutes of listening, my ears are fatigued. I just feel that the sound waves/air is being  pushed against my ear drums with force.
Maybe, the T90 tend to give the impression of having more details, but to my ears, it's just colored by boosting the treble and emphasizing high frequency notes. 

I was torn between the HiFiMan HE-500 and these for some time .. but decided to wait for the HE-400i as it might offer some improvements over the HE-400 in the comfort department, and maybe in the sound as well fro $499.99.

Yep, same thing I experienced, the treble is out of control imo, especially on the drums. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #1,735 of 4,487
  Hey, 

Yeah you pretty much have to EQ down the treble and/or use a very warm tube amp. They are not for everyone. However, after some time you will kinda get used to the treble (brain burn-in). This actually helped me smoothly transition to the HD800, which some even complain about the treble, but coming from the T90, I'm like what treble?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,736 of 4,487
   This actually helped me smoothly transition to the HD800, which some even complain about the treble, but coming from the T90, I'm like what treble?

Same here (with HD800). Also some people complain on HE 6 thread about the treble
rolleyes.gif
, I can handle all other HP's treble now
biggrin.gif

Legendary / Flognuts - The T90 need the right tube amp to sound good.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,737 of 4,487
Wow...just reading up on this thread for a full day now, and was ready at a few points to just pull the trigger.  DT 880 pro owner here, and while I do LOVE my headphones especially in gaming I feel like there's more I can get out of it with both gaming and the music.

Anyone here a prior DT 880 owner and could share your experience w/ these beauties? I was originally going to jump @ the DT 990 pro's then debated on a T1 but figured that'd be one crazy of a jump especially for equipment I'd need to get as well. At 250 I can power it with my current Dac/amp. This thread completely caught me off guard though.

The DT 880's were a tight squeeze so I feel like some of the sound was trapped in a bit while other parts really let lose and I could REALLY feel the difference and impact by them over standard headphones which was AMAZING. The only thing I yearned just a bit more was clarity as it felt like there was a small drop / muffle from the headphones squeezing in on me.

Hoping I'm not derailing by asking the question here, as I do have a thread going which doesn't even have these mentioned, just wanted to hear some feedback from some actual owners that transitioned from where I was.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #1,738 of 4,487
The way I think about amps is that they tend to color the sound in a way or another, something like EQing. I don't like to eq my headphones to be honest.[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]Not that my current DAC/AMP is [/size]necessarily[size=x-small] neutral. [/size]I don't know if it's neutral or otherwise. 

Any headphones, IMHO, better be as close to neutral as possible. And if they have to have some coloration, it would be closer to the lower end of the spectrum because it's, by most people or at least by me, more enjoyable and more tolerable.

I think the T90's are very detailed and neutral, except for the spike in the treble that seems to be overpowering.

Maybe treble was supposed to sound like this, but definitely it's not enjoyable to my ears. 

I am having a headache now. There is a feeling of slight pain in my inner ear, which is not normal. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #1,739 of 4,487
I have a DT 880 32 Ohm, the T90's are much better in all respects. But as you have gathered from this thread you will need to invest in a good tube amp. What is your current Dac & Amp LunaP ?

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #1,740 of 4,487
  I have a DT 880 32 Ohm, the T90's are much better in all respects. But as you have gathered from this thread you will need to invest in a good tube amp. What is your current Dac & Amp ?

Well for now (don't kill me), and for starters I opted for a sound card since these would be in my PC. So I went with the SB ZxR since it had a Burr Brown DAC and supported up to 600Ohm so I figured 250 would be fine for it, and vs my previous card which had a cirrus logic but sported up to 320ohm  I really felt a sense of depth from it. I have the equalizer off as I feel no need / lack the knowledge for what does what, but this was my first step for now as instructed from someone that pointed me towards headphones to begin with ironically ( another audiophile ) and from which I could upgrade to an external DAC and still keep the addons for my games etc.

It comes with it's own headphone adapter which sits on my desk, which I thought originally just controlled the volume like it does on my keyboard but I found the difference between the volume on my pc vs turning this was completely diff. When I turn that knob my god I get submersed and lose myself in the audio, though I can almost feel it hitting me w/ the sound at times but I don't want to turn it down lol.  Of course I'm sure that real dac's etc could color it differently. Again I'm just more of an entry level but wanting more now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back