Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,741 of 4,487
Hmm.. looks like the SB Zxr should be able to power the T90's. If you are ok to use EQ to tone down the treble (in case you find them bright), go for it, you will find them much better than DT 880.

you will have to lower the 8k & 16K bands for them to sound less bright if the treble bothers you (rest of the bands will be flat i.e 0 db).

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,742 of 4,487
  Hmm.. looks like the SB Zxr should be able to power the T90's. If you are ok to use EQ to tone down the treble (in case you find them bright), go for it, you will find them much better than DT 880.

I'll have to google the proper settings to do so as long as I don't lose the clarity of it which I yearn to find in a pair. If these are a definite jump from the DT 990 pro's as well then yeah I'm definitely sold.  I've never listened to full open cans before only the semi's ( DT 880's ) so curious how much of a difference it will make.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,743 of 4,487
You will not loose clarity with the treble EQ cut (as mentioned in my post above). You can play with the EQ cut to get a fine balance between clarity & brightness. Yes these are better than DT 990's IMHO.

I'd rather listen to T90 with EQ than DT 880 & DT 990 without any EQ.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,744 of 4,487
  You will not loose clarity with the treble EQ cut (as mentioned in my post above). You can play with the EQ cut to get a fine balance between clarity & brightness. Yes these are better than DT 990's IMHO.

I'd rather listen to T90 with EQ than DT 880 & DT 990 without any EQ.

Very much appreciate thank you. Gonna ponder on this in the next 5 hours when I wake up for work, been reading up all day lol.

I do love the environment my 880's put me in so I'm excited as well as worried of what my expectations / ears will tell me, but either way I want to know.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,745 of 4,487
The sibilance does subside quite a bit after 2-300 hours of burn in. I compared my brand new set to the ones I was returning to Amazon and the difference was considerable, and much more listenable.

Yet even after several hundred hours of runtime they're still too bright (as driven by my HRT Microstreamer > Asgard 2).

So why on earth did I order them again you might ask? Well, I took the T90s to a local meet and had the chance to hear them powered by a Valhalla and was impressed with how they smoothed out to have a more natural and effortless sound. The few other HFers who listened agreed, as did the owner of the Valhalla (who happened to also have a nice Stax setup),. At a bit over $500 I decided to return the T90 and move on. But when the proaudiostar deal came along ($380 and some soon to expire eBay bucks), there was some budget left to put towards a different amp.

Doing some research I read the Valhalla had a much higher output impedance than the Asgard 2. As did the Crack and other amps people were praising with the T90. So now I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Project Ember. With switchable output impedance I'm hoping for Valhalla like performance with the T90 and Asgard 2 like performance with my IEMs.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,746 of 4,487
  The way I think about amps is that they tend to color the sound in a way or another, something like EQing. I don't like to eq my headphones to be honest.[size=x-small] [/size]
[size=x-small]Not that my current DAC/AMP is [/size]necessarily[size=x-small] neutral. [/size]I don't know if it's neutral or otherwise. 

Any headphones, IMHO, better be as close to neutral as possible. And if they have to have some coloration, it would be closer to the lower end of the spectrum because it's, by most people or at least by me, more enjoyable and more tolerable.

I think the T90's are very detailed and neutral, except for the spike in the treble that seems to be overpowering.

Maybe treble was supposed to sound like this, but definitely it's not enjoyable to my ears. 

I am having a headache now. There is a feeling of slight pain in my inner ear, which is not normal. 

What amp are you using with the T90? I find the T90's to be sibilant if the recording is sibilant, but if the song was mastered well they are very comfortable to listen to. No more sibilant than my 650's on the same tracks. 

I've really never heard any of the treble peaks that people talk about when they say the T90's are bright. Maybe I just have them paired very well with my BH Crack and tube combo. My ears are super sensitive to high frequencies and coming from the HD650's I don't find the T90's fatiguing or less comfortable to listen to.

One thing to think about, I could see a lot of people confusing the clarity of the T90's with bright treble. The T90's are so clear that if you haven't previously heard an end-game headphone like the HD800 or Stax SR009 I could see one thinking that they are bright.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,747 of 4,487

I've really never heard any of the treble peaks that people talk about when they say the T90's are bright. Maybe I just have them paired very well with my BH Crack and tube combo. My ears are super sensitive to high frequencies and coming from the HD650's I don't find the T90's fatiguing or less comfortable to listen to.

That's because you have the best amp prescribed by the doctor for the T90. What tubes are you using ?

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,748 of 4,487
  That's because you have the best amp prescribed by the doctor for the T90. What tubes are you using ?

I've been rolling quite a few driver tubes trying to see what works best and so far my favorites are 6SN7 GT's. The Tung Sol mouse ears and Sylvania VT-231's in particular sound really really nice. I have an RCA blackplate 12bh7 as well and that sounds very good, way better than any of the 12au7's I've tried.

For my output tube I'm running a Tung Sol 5998. That tube in particular gives the T90's an incredible amount of dynamics.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,750 of 4,487
Feb 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,752 of 4,487
A bit, the odd thing is that it's only on certain tubes. Almost of of the GTA and GTB model tubes i've used have a bit of low end hum. But the GT model tubes are dead quiet.

I'm heading to a meet this weekend so I won't be doing any major mods to my amp before then, but afterwards I think I might completely redo the driver socket and convert it over to octal. Just because the 6SN7's sound SOOOOO good with the T90's.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,753 of 4,487
Ugh, so I have a few hours left before I have to pull the trigger, debating between  used and new on amazon currently. Used is showing " like new" for 500$ or pay full price 649$

150$ is a nice bundle to save but what would you guys suggest on this. I feel like I'm cheating on my DT 880's IDKY...lol 
frown.gif

@punit  just noticed you edited your post to include what to change for treble on the EQ, much appreciated +rep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back