Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,351 of 4,487

Then stop wasting your time reading headfi; with such "deep" understanding of the topic and completely "open" mind, your brain will be healthier and others will not have to waste their time reading useless comments.

The digital signal from your source delivers 0's and 1's another way of saying open and closed (well kinda) along a streaming path of whatever frequency. That's all it is until until it gets to your DAC which interprets it with its programmed logic (computer chip) to process the stream of reproduced sound and feed it to an amp as an analogue signal to send to your ears through a transducer ( a thing that vibrates the frequency in the air to be received by your ears by a magnet and diaphragm...well mostly any way)
The point is that to think that spending money on a better USB is simply naive and stupid. BUT since some people are that "affected" by the placebo they would also be prone to believing in the improvement in the analogue side, with all sorts of pseudo science. The fact is that some companies spend a lot of R&D and tooling to produce a better sound (sometimes a number of millions) with the engineer's agonising over every detail to produce the product in the higher end market to be compared to its competitors. To think they would sabotage there design with inferior cables is frankly stupid. I am no electronics guru but am an Industrial Designer with exposure to the audio industry. This baby talk is only aimed at those who are interested in the truth and new to this, and maybe a few cable guys who have not been fully brainwashed yet.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,352 of 4,487

Then stop wasting your time reading headfi; with such "deep" understanding of the topic and completely "open" mind, your brain will be healthier and others will not have to waste their time reading useless comments.

Maybe he reads Head-Fi for the rational, logical opinions on hifi gear (for instance, changing amplifier can change sound quality)
And not for moronic ideas that don't obey the laws of physics (the ones and zeros are more detailed!!11!!)

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #1,353 of 4,487
  Maybe he reads Head-Fi for the rational, logical opinions on hifi gear (for instance, changing amplifier can change sound quality)
And not for moronic ideas that don't obey the laws of physics (the ones and zeros are more detailed!!11!!)

Well that's pretty much what I was gonna write. Thanks. I find two kinds of people on head-fi. Those who want to actually understand things and those who want to look at audio fi as some kind of black magic no one can ever understand. You can guess which one I am.

Here's the thing, all through that horrific USB cable thread the poor deluded guy saying the USB cable affects sound shows a distinct lack of understanding of the USB standard. The USB standard employees CRCs on all the digital data. If it gets corrupted it gets resent. I.e. no matter how different the bits look going across the wire, on the other end, they're exactly the same or they're discarded. There can be NO EFFECT from the USB cable on the digitial signal other than it either works or it doesn't. Period. Anyone saying anything else is living in lala land.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,354 of 4,487
  T-90 being harsh = wrong source/wrong amp

Simple as that!

I didn't find them harsh or sibilant.  I did find them too bright for my tastes.

This is how Zombie_X heard things...and I completely agree with his assessment:

Hey,

The T90 and K702 are both bright, but the T90 reminds me of a MDR-V6 with it's brightness and harshness of sound. The K702 is much smoother and sounds more refined, but lack the detail of the T90's. The T90 also has more bass, much more, but not bloated or exaggerated. The K702's abss is more reserved and lacks some weight but overall is more pleasant and smoother, if that makes sense. Now the midrange aspect is very different between them. Both have a midrgange recession, but the T90 has very little midrange to it. The sound is thin and the elevated treble does not help at all. The K702 is still somewhat thin but has a lot more body to it and sounds more natural. The soundstage differences are big to me. The T90 has a smaller more enclosed sounding soundstage, but offer a better sense of imaging. The K702 has a very wide and shallow soundstage, but the imaging is kind of wonky at times.

You are just kidding yourself, and other members looking for information about  this model, by claiming that this is not a bright headphone. 

That being said, I'm glad you found a headphone\amp combo which makes you happy. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #1,355 of 4,487

Oh I don't feel I've wasted much time reading head-fi.  The signal to noise ratio is quite good. I would be far more interested in a post / research on USB cables and error rates than in the more subjective reviews full of feels about the sound. At least a double blind study done on two or more cables so as to remove selection bias. I just find it hard to believe that anyone trained in science (i.e. an EE) would be allowing selection bias to creep into their comparison. I'd personally WANT to know that my research on the subject was a bit less subjective I guess.

I have the same attitude about burn in. It's mostly in the mind. There are far greater differences between two of the exact same model of any two things than there is over time from burn in, at least according to all the tests I've seen on the subject.

But again, most of the threads here are invaluable to me, great reviews, personal views on various equipment, recommendations. Very high signal to noise ratio. Feels tempered with science etc.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #1,356 of 4,487
  If the audio jack input to your headphone amp isn't isolated, but grounded, then it's a very real possibility you could get a ground loop noise issue from a bad cable. But yeah, noise on the 5V or ground of the computer itself is usually a much much bigger problem.

yea and power issues are very real. I slapped a Power Condition [$139 Furman unit] and found a increase in clarity in my system. I was how ever at the time living in a very OLD house which had frequant browns outs 

so If your house is some what new, or the wiring is new you should b fine. If the wiring was built like 60 years ago... you might want a power conditioner 
  My theory is that an expensive cable changes the font of the 1's and the 0's from Comic Sans to Helvetica.

Jokes aside, when it's a digital signal, there can be no effect on the sound. There either is a signal, or there isn't a signal. It really is that binary. Which makes me grin a bit when expensive $1000 USB cables are being used, probably in tandem with these expensive pebbles: 

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

xD that made me laugh, I think i'm going to re tell that joke lol

... dmn the W1000x Vali NFB10ES2 combo... is KICKIN IT HARD for 90's Rap! Bass just dropped in this tune and well... it hits HARD :O me gusta

that said, I LOVE the Vali with my DT 880 I think for ANY one having issues with teh treble, drop a Vali into your chain./ YES the Vali will reflect your dac, but it adds a smidge of wetness to touch done the edge of the treble JUST a smidge. Oh and the Vali... has some NICE Sub Bass extension :O drops like a brick to your face [and I'm not even using EQ!] 

So Schiit Vali+ Beyer Open Backs=WIN 

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #1,358 of 4,487

Preaching to the choir!   :D
Love my Vali + T90 combo. Now I just need to sort out dacs, as my experience is very limited. (HRT MSII)

get an Audio GD dac, they are wonderful! 

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #1,359 of 4,487
I still maintain they are amazing value for money, and my fav headphone in the price bracket, but I can acknowledge that there is something still not right with the treble. Its something with the drums....its just over-exaggerated. I find it quite enjoyable though haha. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,360 of 4,487
I still maintain they are amazing value for money, and my fav headphone in the price bracket, but I can acknowledge that there is something still not right with the treble. Its something with the drums....its just over-exaggerated. I find it quite enjoyable though haha. 
:beerchug: I don't notice it, might be due to my chain. Absolutely love it. Thinking about getting another pair for my bedside rig. lol There's some great prices on the FS thread right now.

Dec 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,361 of 4,487
I just a pair of these great phones after Amazon decided to drop the price. I've only been burning them in for a day or two but they sound absolutely fantastic to me. Coming from the HE-400, which is my other go-to headphone, the t90 sounds more detailed and effortless. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #1,362 of 4,487
  I just a pair of these great phones after Amazon decided to drop the price. I've only been burning them in for a day or two but they sound absolutely fantastic to me. Coming from the HE-400, which is my other go-to headphone, the t90 sounds more detailed and effortless. Can't wait to really sink my teeth into them.

yay! How does the T90 compare to the HE 400 bass 

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,364 of 4,487
They're both quite good in my opinion. The bass on the HE-400 sounds to me like it has more impact and immediacy. However, the bass on the t90 is more detailed and textured while still packing a good punch.

Yea for bass the HE 400 is hard to beat. that orthodynamic driver has that linear bass response. 

Stillimo both are worth while to own, for EDM I find the HE 400 pretty top notch imo! I enjoyed the HE 400 and DT 880 together, and again for some one like me who's music collection is about 33% EDM the HE 400 are worth while. 

But I think I'd have to get the T90 first before I get another HE 400 

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,365 of 4,487
  Yea for bass the HE 400 is hard to beat. that orthodynamic driver has that linear bass response. 

Stillimo both are worth while to own, for EDM I find the HE 400 pretty top notch imo! I enjoyed the HE 400 and DT 880 together, and again for some one like me who's music collection is about 33% EDM the HE 400 are worth while. 

But I think I'd have to get the T90 first before I get another HE 400 

I agree. I'll add that the HE-400 is a bit of a strange beast. I can't usually predict what music it will sound good with. With most electronic music, the HE-400 does the trick, but sometimes it falls flat. Other times, the HE-400 will randomly make rock / jazz / folk sound amazing. 

The t90 is a better all around performer, I think, especially if you listen to many different genres of music. 

Both are great, and when the HE-400 is in its element it can be more exciting to listen to than the t90. However, the t90 sounds fantastic with 90% of my music collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back