Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,367 of 4,487
Just do like I did and get the HE-500, and don't look back. Totally a different class. My T90 will soon be on the sale block.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,368 of 4,487

I agree. I'll add that the HE-400 is a bit of a strange beast. I can't usually predict what music it will sound good with. With most electronic music, the HE-400 does the trick, but sometimes it falls flat. Other times, the HE-400 will randomly make rock / jazz / folk sound amazing. 

The t90 is a better all around performer, I think, especially if you listen to many different genres of music. 

Both are great, and when the HE-400 is in its element it can be more exciting to listen to than the t90. However, the t90 sounds fantastic with 90% of my music collection.

agree'd I liked it for Edm only 

Just do like I did and get the HE-500, and don't look back. Totally a different class. My T90 will soon be on the sale block.

is it really that much of a step above? It would have to be another headphone for me to listen and compare >.>

Although honestly I think I'm more likely to get an HE 4, in place of my DT 880 truth be told. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,369 of 4,487
  is it really that much of a step above? It would have to be another headphone for me to listen and compare >.>

Although honestly I think I'm more likely to get an HE 4, in place of my DT 880 truth be told. 

When properly driven, the HE-500 is a force to be reckoned with. Through the Emotiva MiniX and Quickie, a $300 combined value, to me it's better for most genres other than classical than even HD800 with Crack. Drive it with most regular headphone amps, and it's not too impressive. It's more than just steady power, which is the metrics you see for most headphone amps (X mW @ Y ohm). I think speaker amps like the Emotiva just have much larger capacitors and transformers that give it the reserve power it needs. It does need at least 2W steady power as well though. T90 definitely wins in comfort though.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #1,370 of 4,487
  When properly driven, the HE-500 is a force to be reckoned with. Through the Emotiva MiniX and Quickie, a $300 combined value, to me it's better for most genres other than classical than even HD800 with Crack. Drive it with most regular headphone amps, and it's not too impressive. It's more than just steady power, which is the metrics you see for most headphone amps (X mW @ Y ohm). I think speaker amps like the Emotiva just have much larger capacitors and transformers that give it the reserve power it needs. It does need at least 2W steady power as well though. T90 definitely wins in comfort though.

I think my NFb10ES2 through balanced mode should drive an HE 500 PLENTY well. 

But I hear it has a warm sound signiture q.q which is oppisite of the Brighter Leaner Beyers... 

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,371 of 4,487
  I think my NFb10ES2 through balanced mode should drive an HE 500 PLENTY well. 

But I hear it has a warm sound signiture q.q which is oppisite of the Brighter Leaner Beyers... 

HE-500 is very neutral. The T90 is bright, so in comparison, the HE-500 will seem warm, but it's not at all considered dark like the LCD-2. I'd skip any tube equipment if you don't want warmth like the Quickie.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #1,374 of 4,487
I'm intrigued with the Vali + T90 pairing. I was looking at a potential Valhalla pairing. Anybody have any experience with this or other Schiit amps? As mentioned here already, I too have some sibilance concerns and would like to tame this.

I had paired them with an Ernestolone Carot One tube amp, but still had some sibilance with some vocalists.

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #1,375 of 4,487
OK, my T90s were left to run for 200+ hours but I'm not loving what I'm hearing. The clip-zip is a complete flop with these (not a real surprise). Unfortunately, it seems the Microstreamer, which is wonderful with my SM64 iems (rather high impedance btw) isn't a good fit either. The details are amazing, yet with both the MS and the T90 on the brighter side it's just too much on top. I also tried the headphone out of my mammoth 1970s vintage Sony receiver which was better but also seemed to roll off a good bit on top.

Before I invest in better gear there are a couple of questions I would like some opinions on:

1) Does the sibilance ever really go away?

2) Does the soundstage move back and away at all? It's not in my head (which I do not like) but is often not very far from my face. I don't mind a front row feeling but this is too close. It seems artificial at times too, such as sounds off to the side seeming to wrap around my head a bit (or as if the physical stage was extended out a few feet at the side and one of the musicians stepped forward to be playing at my side. Instrument placement can also be odd at times with some nicely placed and others smeared positionally.

Maybe I'm spoiled with the SM64s very coherent sound, wide 3rd row soundstage and precise placement.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #1,376 of 4,487
OK, my T90s were left to run for 200+ hours but I'm not loving what I'm hearing. The clip-zip is a complete flop with these (not a real surprise). Unfortunately, it seems the Microstreamer, which is wonderful with my SM64 iems (rather high impedance btw) isn't a good fit either. The details are amazing, yet with both the MS and the T90 on the brighter side it's just too much on top. I also tried the headphone out of my mammoth 1970s vintage Sony receiver which was better but also seemed to roll off a good bit on top.

Before I invest in better gear there are a couple of questions I would like some opinions on:

2) Does the soundstage move back and away at all? It's not in my head (which I do not like) but is often not very far from my face. I don't mind a front row feeling but this is too close. It seems artificial at times too, such as sounds off to the side seeming to wrap around my head a bit (or as if the physical stage was extended out a few feet at the side and one of the musicians stepped forward to be playing at my side. Instrument placement can also be odd at times with some nicely placed and others smeared positionally.

Maybe I'm spoiled with the SM64s very coherent sound, wide 3rd row soundstage and precise placement.

In my experience, the T90 is ALL about your chain. With amps that are meant for or designed to handle higher impedance headphones well, it generally does very well in the areas of your concern. Driven by my Crack, Vali or Torpedo, I get very little if any sibilance. It's important to note though, that I'm 56 and have lost some of my sensitivity ~15K and higher. Also - you don't need a warm DAC, but one that isn't thin or bright. Any good, neutral, detailed DAC will do. With the right chain, I've heard very few headphones with as wide a sound stage (with the exceptions of T1 (very slightly wider) and the HD800). The depth is pretty good too, but they really excel at width and spatial placement. 

I believe this is the reason quite a few T90's go back. These cans are very detailed, dynamic and resolving - but can be brutal (sibilant, unfocused, too bright) without an amp designed to drive higher impedance well.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,377 of 4,487

I run MSII>Vali>T90 and don't hear the sibilance other people do. I did when I had a much crappier SS amp, but Vali completely tamed it for me personally. I'm over 40 though, so maybe it's still there and I'm missing it.

I don't have much soundstage, something given other people's opinions on Vali that I'm going to contribute to the MSII. I didn't have much on my 598 either. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #1,379 of 4,487
Well, boys (and gals?), pulled the trigger on the T90 and Vali. :eek:

My only source at the moment is my X3, so I guess I'll need to get a Y RCA plug to accommodate for the time being. Anybody using an X3 as a source by chance? :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #1,380 of 4,487
I also pulled the trigger on a T90 recently. Read every page of this thread in eager anticipation.
I will be running it through a Little dott DAC_II and a Little dot MKV. Also have an MKIII if it's needed.

This thread is full of contradictrory impressions of the T90 - I hope I'll be one of the positive ones :)

Fingers crossed - now where is that postman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back