Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Nov 13, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #3,901 of 4,487
Just got my T90's. So far, I'm not all that impressed. I was spoiled by having the T1.2 for a couple days last week. The T1 is not a sidegrade, it's a significant upgrade. But it's also significantly more costly. The T90 does have about 80% of the detail of the T1, but the soundstage is much smaller. The T1 is much more refined and better for classical and jazz, which I listen to most. Maybe the T90 is better for rock and pop, with it's more prominent bass. The treble is not an issue for me, since I tend to boost the treble anyway on most phones. I'll give the T90 some more time. I do like it better than my DT990.

T90s sound much better balanced with a better cable. Approaches T1 level of refinement. I'm still mystified Beyer doesnt do removable cables for most of their HPs. Stock cable is not very good.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #3,902 of 4,487
Oh you mean the mystical sounds waves that are mainfested magically out of thin air and not those created as a result of the electromagnetic process taking place at the electrodynamic driver? I didn't know we were talking about those.

Nope, the ones reflecting off that back wall with the vents, duh.

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #3,903 of 4,487
A simple search of "aluminum acoustic properties" yields the fact the aluminum foam materials have a high sound absorption ability. I highly doubt that the dynamat foil is increasing relection of sound waves as you suggest, But i'm no acoustic engineer. To the best of my knowledge just about all the mods done in closed-back cans have included dynamat applied to the back of earcup, directly behind the driver. Those that i've tried (markl Denon mod, PRO900 mod) have been very effective mainly at reducing excessive bass output, something the T90 doesn't have a problem with. And indeed the dynamat does lessens the treble spike on the T90, strenghening the notion that it is abosrptive/dampening of the backwave, not amplyfing it.

So again, this "aluminum flavor" thing has no basis IMO, not acoustically and not magnetically influencing the driver.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,904 of 4,487
T90s sound much better balanced with a better cable. Approaches T1 level of refinement. I'm still mystified Beyer doesnt do removable cables for most of their HPs. Stock cable is not very good.

Yes, I opened it up and the cable is the same as the thin one on the dt990. T1.2 was much thicker. I think Amiron will have removables, but it's not to hard to recable the T90 yourself.

Nov 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #3,905 of 4,487

Not sure of 990/600 but 990/250, no complaints. I guess better if t1.2 is noticeably better anyway, so one can be like "WOW" .

If the differences were small for the ###$$$ jump that would be disappointing

Are the cups size the same? E.g Tesla drivers from t90 would fit into 990?

​I have both the T90's and 990 Pro's and I don't find the difference small. The T90's are noticeably more transparent and more open in the midrange. The Pro's have more bass but the T90's bass is more detailed.

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,906 of 4,487

​I have both the T90's and 990 Pro's and I don't find the difference small. The T90's are noticeably more transparent and more open in the midrange. The Pro's have more bass but the T90's bass is more detailed.

Thanks very much for the info. Do you know if the diameter of the driver frames are the same; in other words would they be interchangeable? Or are they different sizes (990 and t90). This would be super helpful if possible.

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,907 of 4,487

Thanks very much for the info. Do you know if the diameter of the driver frames are the same; in other words would they be interchangeable? Or are they different sizes (990 and t90). This would be super helpful if possible.

I know they are both 45mm drivers but I don't know if they are an exact match.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #3,908 of 4,487

They are interchangable, I just checked. The T90 driver is slightly deeper and heavier, but it fits. All beyer drivers are actually 45mm, but have a frame to fit the cup (even T1 is 45mm with an angled frame - I measured it). I don't know if the T1 cup size is the same as dt990. It seemed slightly bigger to me when I had them, but it might be the same.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #3,909 of 4,487
as jeff7742 said, they are interchangeable. I have a DT990 with T90 drivers
Quote:

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #3,910 of 4,487
Just got an update from Forza Audio concerning the T90 modification. The mini XLRs are installed and the package will be shipped today. For a teaser, see the pic below. He also made a mod on a T5p, my T90s are on the left. Will keep you posted when they arrive.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,912 of 4,487

They are interchangable, I just checked. The T90 driver is slightly deeper and heavier, but it fits. All beyer drivers are actually 45mm, but have a frame to fit the cup (even T1 is 45mm with an angled frame - I measured it). I don't know if the T1 cup size is the same as dt990. It seemed slightly bigger to me when I had them, but it might be the same.

Awesome to know. Thanks

What do they sound like; how different from 990 and any mods?

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,913 of 4,487
They sound very similar (My DT990 modded vs T90), i post a brief comparisson in the previous page
Quote:

What do they sound like; how different from 990 and any mods?

I am debating to sell my DT990 modded at a discounted price (although it is slightly better than my new T90 in some things). If somebody is interested please send me a PM, thanks

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,914 of 4,487

I am debating to sell my DT990 modded at a discounted price (although it is slightly better than my new T90 in some things). If somebody is interested please send me a PM, thanks

I wouldn't. I find the dt990, when EQ'd properly, to be a little better than the T90. The trick is getting the midrange boosted right. The dt990 by nature has a recessed midrange. When its upper midrange is boosted right, it equals or surpasses the T90.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,915 of 4,487

I wouldn't. I find the dt990, when EQ'd properly, to be a little better than the T90. The trick is getting the midrange boosted right. The dt990 by nature has a recessed midrange. When its upper midrange is boosted right, it equals or surpasses the T90.

Can you provide details on what kind of corrections you have made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back