Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,887 of 4,487
Hi. The DT990 what i have, have the large white ring cotton removed (only have the small white ring on) and have T90 drivers, and Denon AH-D5000 cable, and AKG K701 earpads, But the sound is very similar in both, The modded one have a little bit more spacious sound, and slightly less mid-sub bass cuantity, but overall very alike. Mids on both are neutral.
Quote:

I have a T90 on order. Looking forward to it. I also have a DT990 and will recable it. What mods have you done to elevate the DT990 sound to T90 level? I would think that would be impossible without Tesla drivers.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,888 of 4,487
Just got my T90's. So far, I'm not all that impressed. I was spoiled by having the T1.2 for a couple days last week. The T1 is not a sidegrade, it's a significant upgrade. But it's also significantly more costly. The T90 does have about 80% of the detail of the T1, but the soundstage is much smaller. The T1 is much more refined and better for classical and jazz, which I listen to most. Maybe the T90 is better for rock and pop, with it's more prominent bass. The treble is not an issue for me, since I tend to boost the treble anyway on most phones. I'll give the T90 some more time. I do like it better than my DT990.

Nov 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3,889 of 4,487
  Just got my T90's. So far, I'm not all that impressed. I was spoiled by having the T1.2 for a couple days last week. The T1 is not a sidegrade, it's a significant upgrade. But it's also significantly more costly. The T90 does have about 80% of the detail of the T1, but the soundstage is much smaller. The T1 is much more refined and better for classical and jazz, which I listen to most. Maybe the T90 is better for rock and pop, with it's more prominent bass. The treble is not an issue for me, since I tend to boost the treble anyway on most phones. I'll give the T90 some more time. I do like it better than my DT990.

which dt990 you have (32,250,600)?
The reviews on this are very confusing. Most people like t1. But the t90 has more criticism, though some love it. Ken Rockwell or w//e praised this as he liked it more than t1 or enjoyed i should say.

Are drivers identical? T1 seems that the angled driver changes the dynamics , with t90 driver firing straight out the centre (Iguess there is a hole there)?

More details if possible thx

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,890 of 4,487

which dt990 you have (32,250,600)?
The reviews on this are very confusing. Most people like t1. But the t90 has more criticism, though some love it. Ken Rockwell or w//e praised this as he liked it more than t1 or enjoyed i should say.

Are drivers identical? T1 seems that the angled driver changes the dynamics , with t90 driver firing straight out the centre (Iguess there is a hole there)?

More details if possible thx

I have the dt990/600. I think the T90 is closer to my dt990 than to the T1.2. Somehow, the dt990 is more comfortable and less fatiguing, even though less detailed. I think there may be some nasty high freq stuff from 10khz to 20khz  on the T90 - when I tone that down, it becomes more comfortable, Yeah I read the Rockwell review too, and I think he's way off base. The T1.2 is so much better in just about every way. I'll also lower my detail estimate to 65-70% of the T1.2. Compared to the T1.2, the bass is flabby on the T90. Not that its bad - just not as detailed as the T1.2. I'm pretty sure the drivers are not the same. And the T90 soundstage is slightly smaller than the dt990. I think I'll return it for either a T1.2 or an HD800. Might as well bite the bullet and get what I really want.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #3,891 of 4,487

I have the dt990/600. I think the T90 is closer to my dt990 than to the T1.2. Somehow, the dt990 is more comfortable and less fatiguing, even though less detailed. I think there may be some nasty high freq stuff from 10khz to 20khz  on the T90 - when I tone that down, it becomes more comfortable, Yeah I read the Rockwell review too, and I think he's way off base. The T1.2 is so much better in just about every way. I'll also lower my detail estimate to 65-70% of the T1.2. Compared to the T1.2, the bass is flabby on the T90. Not that its bad - just not as detailed as the T1.2. I'm pretty sure the drivers are not the same. And the T90 soundstage is slightly smaller than the dt990. I think I'll return it for either a T1.2 or an HD800. Might as well bite the bullet and get what I really want.

Ah cheers,

I saw them Jubilee 90s on sale but was confused and went with 'lower' ranking beyer

Anyway I like the beyer sound so i guess the t1.2 > t90 is expected somewhat. But also interesting to know of the similarities to the 990 being closer than t1 but i assume because of angled drivers.

I dont know how you came up with the 65-70% estimates,, but i'll see it as the t1.2 being superior

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3,892 of 4,487

Ah cheers,

I saw them Jubilee 90s on sale but was confused and went with 'lower' ranking beyer

Anyway I like the beyer sound so i guess the t1.2 > t90 is expected somewhat. But also interesting to know of the similarities to the 990 being closer than t1 but i assume because of angled drivers.

I dont know how you came up with the 65-70% estimates,, but i'll see it as the t1.2 being superior

I don't either, it's just a guess :wink: But I do know it's less detailed than T1.2. Unless there's a way to EQ the T90's to make them more comfortable, I'd stick with the dt990. It's not too far away from the T90. Maybe with a dt990 cable upgrade it might be better. The stock cable wire on the dt990 seems pretty thin and crappy.

Nov 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,893 of 4,487

I don't either, it's just a guess :wink: But I do know it's less detailed than T1.2. Unless there's a way to EQ the T90's to make them more comfortable, I'd stick with the dt990. It's not too far away from the T90. Maybe with a dt990 cable upgrade it might be better. The stock cable wire on the dt990 seems pretty thin and crappy.

Not sure of 990/600 but 990/250, no complaints. I guess better if t1.2 is noticeably better anyway, so one can be like "WOW" .

If the differences were small for the ###$$$ jump that would be disappointing

Are the cups size the same? E.g Tesla drivers from t90 would fit into 990?

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #3,894 of 4,487

Not sure of 990/600 but 990/250, no complaints. I guess better if t1.2 is noticeably better anyway, so one can be like "WOW" .

If the differences were small for the ###$$$ jump that would be disappointing

Are the cups size the same? E.g Tesla drivers from t90 would fit into 990?

The cups are the same. T1.2 seem a little larger, I think - don't know for sure.

To me, the difference between dt990 and T90 is a bit too small. But then again, T90's are cheap these days since Amiron will be here very soon. I would guess Amiron would sell for around $450.

dt990 to T1.2 is WOW, but dt990 to T90 is not, IMO.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #3,895 of 4,487

The cups are the same. T1.2 seem a little larger, I think - don't know for sure.

To me, the difference between dt990 and T90 is a bit too small. But then again, T90's are cheap these days since Amiron will be here very soon. I would guess Amiron would sell for around $450.

dt990 to T1.2 is WOW, but dt990 to T90 is not, IMO.

Was curious b/c t1 drivers popped on ebay a few times for like 200 US and t70 for half that

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3,897 of 4,487
  Anyone try the custom cans damping kit?

It's the same thing as this, though more thorough:

I've taken a shot with this thing, Part of a repair operation i had to to take after i knocked my pair on the floor and the driver popped rtight off it's assembly (fortunately no wire issues... phew) and i had to reglue it back in. So this is my take:

I have prior experience modding headphones with dynamat, starting from the famous "markl world's best headphone" (Denon D5000) to CAL! to Ultrasone PRO900. You might notice a common denominator with all these cans: A fat bottom! (CAL less so). Well that's why it worked to various degrees, It deadned bass response to increase overall clarity. And it is exactly what it does in the T90, It simply decreases bass heft and that nice body the T90 possess in the mids thus making the sound harder and 'flatter', although might be the treble indeed loses a couple of db's, no sure. There's an increases sense of clarity but paradoxically it is less refined and lacking in body.

So heartily NOT recommended, I'm sorry to rain on the parade, I just don't think dynamat is the right tool for the job in this case.

But hey, you may like the aluminum foil's flavoring of the sound.  You won't know until you try.

Then again, Custom Cans isn't all that thorough on discussing their mods at times, it looks like, unless it is explained in more detail in any documentation included with their kits.  Part of their HD25 mod kit involves covering up ports behind the main driver chambers of the headphone, reducing bass, and most HD25 users prefer the extra bass and even bought the headphone for it, among other things.

Nov 13, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #3,898 of 4,487
To put it bluntly, your "aluminum flavor" idea is just bollocks my friend. First, beacuse aluminum isn't magnetic in itself and thus doesn't interact with the neodymium magnet, Unless either is moving (Lenz Effect), but it's not the case here at all.
http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~wbreslyn/magnets/is-aluminium-magnetic.html

And secondly, the entire magnetic flux which works with the voice coil is limited in a very tight space: ". Inside the headphones, there is a static magnetic field, similar to the earth’s magnetic field, which is also concentrated upon a tightly limited area: the air gap with the voice coil. " http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/innovations/tesla-technology.html

But even if it wasn't the case and the aluminum foil was interacting with the magnet, why are you putting dynamat ON TOP of the magnet? Do you think a magnetic field is directional so as long the foil doesn't face the magnet then it's "safe"...?
EDIT: it'd appear that it is actually directional but that dosn't mean that simply buffering the foil with rubber goo would prevent the magnetic reaction. But it's just talk for talk because there's nothing happenning in the first place.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #3,899 of 4,487
We're talking about sound waves, not electromagnetic waves, so your argument is just bollocks, my friend.

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #3,900 of 4,487
Oh you mean the mystical sounds waves that are mainfested magically out of thin air and not those created as a result of the electromagnetic process taking place at the electrodynamic driver? I didn't know we were talking about those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back