Beyerdynamic T70P VS. Hifiman HE-400 !
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:
I didnt get a link for LFF, you just told me to check them out but I googled it and nothing came up, so yeah.

I heard the MD could be comparable to the LCD-2, but Im not sure if I like its sound signature. I'll do a bit more research on these for now.

Haha, You did, but perhaps I caused some confusion. LFF: FirePhoenixAudio@gmail.com 

Both Dan and Luis work hard on the Mad Dog and the Paradox respectively. It just comes down to your preferences.
There's also a few threads 1 focused on MD and 1 focused on Paradox.

Take your time with research, make the best decision for you. But do keep an open mind to other suggestions.

Goodluck! 

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 43
Quote:
I've never heard the MD, but apparently its bass is on the leaner side of things.  HE-400 most likely has more bass than it.

Yeah I thought so too, so am leaning towards the HE-400.
By the way, do you guys know any good desktop amp for under $400? And do I just plug it into my PC and itll work? Sorry, I'm quite new to desktop amps, etc.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

I've never heard the MD, but apparently its bass is on the leaner side of things.  HE-400 most likely has more bass than it.

Eh, I've heard the HE-400 use to have it, I'll argue the MD has the better bass, more impact,control,extension.
But perhaps changing to the Velour pads make all the difference. I'd really like to try out the HE-400 again, it just doesn't
meet the priorities at the moment. Either way here, Fostex, HE-400 are far superior to Vlooienuker's first 2 earlier choices. Happy pickings! Haha.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 43
Only thing velour does is smooth out the midrange frequency response.  Bass is unaffected.  I'm just mirroring Tyll and others' comments about the Mad Dogs, but I'd still like to hear them for myself, considering them and HE-400 are essentially flavor of the year so far on head-fi.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

By the way, do you guys know any good desktop amp for under $400? And do I just plug it into my PC and itll work? Sorry, I'm quite new to desktop amps, etc.

Don't particularly like giving out recommendations for other gear, considering you're not so set on a headphone yet.
You'll go in through optical, coaxial, or USB.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 43
Thanks everyone for their input,

I prefer velour or velvet pads because theyre more comfortable for longer periods of music listening, they do come with the HE-400 right?

I'm not 100% sure which headphone to go for yet but am leaning towards the HE-400 or Denon D5k.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #22 of 43
HE400 has similar amount of bass to M50, just better quality.  It actually has a similar sound signature overall.  A little less treble.  More refined, and faster.  And bigger soundstage of course 

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:
Thanks everyone for their input,

I prefer velour or velvet pads because theyre more comfortable for longer periods of music listening, they do come with the HE-400 right?

I'm not 100% sure which headphone to go for yet but am leaning towards the HE-400 or Denon D5k.

Hm to give you some perspective, I have both M50's and HE400s. The M50's has a big midbass hump that adds bass volume, but it is disgustingly bloated in comparison with HE400s. The HE400s actually kick much harder and carry a far more satisfying bass.

And yes, the velours are thicker (so your ears won't touch the driver at all) and don't irritate your skin, nor will they heat up. Of course they also improve the sound quality.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Hm to give you some perspective, I have both M50's and HE400s. The M50's has a big midbass hump that adds bass volume, but it is disgustingly bloated in comparison with HE400s. The HE400s actually kick much harder and carry a far more satisfying bass.

And yes, the velours are thicker (so your ears won't touch the driver at all) and don't irritate your skin, nor will they heat up. Of course they also improve the sound quality.

Thanks,

Honestly I reckon the M50 is overrated or it could just be me... I dont like the M50 for a number of reasons, first off, theyre pleather pads are utterly uncomfortable and it makes me sweat like crazy, secondly, theyre really bright and almost "too" detailed and that causes sibilance especially with the levels of bass it provides, thus a very bright fatiguing sound, and thirdly, tiny sound separation and sound stage...

I read a lot of reviews on the HE-400 and Mad Dog headphones, have you guys heard of the Mad Dogs? Apparently theyre even better than the LCD-2/3... My setup is almost identical to JD's setup from ALO Audio, which makes me want to get the HE-400 more...

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:
Thanks,

Honestly I reckon the M50 is overrated or it could just be me... I dont like the M50 for a number of reasons, first off, theyre pleather pads are utterly uncomfortable and it makes me sweat like crazy, secondly, theyre really bright and almost "too" detailed and that causes sibilance especially with the levels of bass it provides, thus a very bright fatiguing sound, and thirdly, tiny sound separation and sound stage...

I read a lot of reviews on the HE-400 and Mad Dog headphones, have you guys heard of the Mad Dogs? Apparently theyre even better than the LCD-2/3... My setup is almost identical to JD's setup from ALO Audio, which makes me want to get the HE-400 more...

No they are not, they are voiced similar to LCD2 but on a technical level (bass resolution, separation, FR flatness, THD, etc) they are inferior simply due to the limitations of the Fostex T50RP drivers. The Audezes developed some of the most advanced planar magnetic drivers that do certain things that nearly no other headphones can do, as well as being closed.

However they are a very good bargain at $250. It's impossible to compare them with HE400s though since they are so different in every respect. The HE400s fit what you are looking for as they are darker in treble though, without any loss of treble details, due to its peculiar treble voicing.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

No they are not, they are voiced similar to LCD2 but on a technical level (bass resolution, separation, FR flatness, THD, etc) they are inferior simply due to the limitations of the Fostex T50RP drivers. The Audezes developed some of the most advanced planar magnetic drivers that do certain things that nearly no other headphones can do, as well as being closed.

However they are a very good bargain at $250. It's impossible to compare them with HE400s though since they are so different in every respect. The HE400s fit what you are looking for as they are darker in treble though, without any loss of treble details, due to its peculiar treble voicing.

Out of curiosity have you even heard the LCD-2? Only ask because there are many that have left LCD-2's for both Mad Dog and Paradox.
Though this could just boil down to some preferences.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #28 of 43
At the recent NYC meet I heard both Mad Dogs, but not the currently sold version, and K550 and prefer Mad Dogs cause K550 are lacking bass even when driven by Burson 160D

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Yeah I heard the Mad Dogs were one of the most neutral and flat headphones out there... So should I get the Denon D5K/D7K or the HE400s?

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:
Yeah I heard the Mad Dogs were one of the most neutral and flat headphones out there... So should I get the Denon D5K/D7K or the HE400s?

Na, that is the Paradox in all likely hood.

Edit: Was going to post Mad Dogs graphs, could only find CSD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back