Beyerdynamic T70P VS. Hifiman HE-400 !
Jul 28, 2012 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43
Hi Head-fiers,

So I'm going to get a pair of high quality headphones to upgrade from my AD700 and M50 but cannot yet decide...

- Closed/Open doesn't really matter
- Not a total basshead but there needs to some thump down there (a lot of people say the M50 is bass heavy but I reckon the M50 is bass light, not very light, just light... haha. Oh and I hated those pleather ear pads!)
- I usually like a fun warm yet detailed sound (non-fatiguing after long periods of music listening/movies)
- Sound staging and instrument separation is quite important to me, I like a wide and deep sound stage...
- Comfort is quite important since I'll be wearing them for a few hours at a time
- Isolation doesn't really matter
- I generally listen to A State of Trance, Florence + the machine, White chapel, Underoath, Annotations of an autopsy, We Butter The Bread With Butter... I know, that is a lot of genres but that's just me.

Oh, I will not be recabling the headphones for quite some time and will be using the headphones with a iPod Classic 6G and The National/RX MK II using The Cricket/Low Rider LOD.

So which will it be?

Thanks

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 43
Quote:
Hi Head-fiers,

So I'm going to get a pair of high quality headphones to upgrade from my AD700 and M50 but cannot yet decide...

- Closed/Open doesn't really matter
- Not a total basshead but there needs to some thump down there (a lot of people say the M50 is bass heavy but I reckon the M50 is bass light, not very light, just light... haha. Oh and I hated those pleather ear pads!)
- I usually like a fun warm yet detailed sound (non-fatiguing after long periods of music listening/movies)
- Sound staging and instrument separation is quite important to me, I like a wide and deep sound stage...
- Comfort is quite important since I'll be wearing them for a few hours at a time
- Isolation doesn't really matter
- I generally listen to A State of Trance, Florence + the machine, White chapel, Underoath, Annotations of an autopsy, We Butter The Bread With Butter... I know, that is a lot of genres but that's just me.

Oh, I will not be recabling the headphones for quite some time and will be using the headphones with a iPod Classic 6G and The National/RX MK II.

Thanks

Haha. So are you asking for a headphone recommendation or.....

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 43
Hi,

If you disliked the ATH-M50's bass then the T70P won't impress. It has far less bass than the ATH-M50. I've yet to hear the HE-400, but from what I've read it has bass levels similar to the DT990. Why not get a DT770 PRO 80Ohm? It has more bass than the ATH-M50 and is an enjoyable listen.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:
And yes, I'm asking for a headphone recommendation, I just happened to narrow it down to these two...

I think that maybe you are a basshead as well. Though I don't consider the M50 bass heavy, but it's not bass light. haha

Anyways I am going to sidetrack your two choices, as I feel a modified Fostex T50RP would out due both of these cans.
With the price of the T70 comes consideration into ortho territory. Now I've heard the Rx isn't the most ideal 
choice for an LCD-2. But something like the T50RP could easily be suited here.

They offer the warmth, you're looking for, with a strong bass presence, smooth mids, adequate soundstage,
The instrument separation is there as well. No fatigue, quite comfortable, and provided isolation.

The top offers in your price range are LFF or Mrspeakers. 

Other than that the T70 is more of a bright and open headphone. Not warm or "fun" sounding, IMO.
It however is detailed, but at a price of being emphasized in the treble region.

T70 has pretty deep bass, fairly artificial sounding but that's actually nitpicking. It depends on the seal you get
same goes with the T50RP's. It's either deep and clean, or light and overdone becoming muddy.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:
I think that maybe you are a basshead as well. Though I don't consider the M50 bass heavy, but it's not bass light. haha

Anyways I am going to sidetrack your two choices, as I feel a modified Fostex T50RP would out due both of these cans.
With the price of the T70 comes consideration into ortho territory. Now I've heard the Rx isn't the most ideal 
choice for an LCD-2. But something like the T50RP could easily be suited here.

They offer the warmth, you're looking for, with a strong bass presence, smooth mids, adequate soundstage,
The instrument separation is there as well. No fatigue, quite comfortable, and provided isolation.

The top offers in your price range are LFF or Mrspeakers. 

Other than that the T70 is more of a bright and open headphone. Not warm or "fun" sounding, IMO.
It however is detailed, but at a price of being emphasized in the treble region.

T70 has pretty deep bass, fairly artificial sounding but that's actually nitpicking. It depends on the seal you get
same goes with the T50RP's. It's either deep and clean, or light and overdone becoming muddy.

Thanks for your detailed input,

Honestly, I've never heard of the T50RP and I dont see where I could purchase a modded pair... Otherwise, I would check them out.

Quote:
Hi,

If you disliked the ATH-M50's bass then the T70P won't impress. It has far less bass than the ATH-M50. I've yet to hear the HE-400, but from what I've read it has bass levels similar to the DT990. Why not get a DT770 PRO 80Ohm? It has more bass than the ATH-M50 and is an enjoyable listen.

Hi,

I saw your video on youtube reviewing the DT880 and explaining differences between 250 and 32 Ohms, it was very helpful.
Uhm whats the DT770's sound signature like? And I think 80Ohms is too much for just The National and an iPod Classic, please clarify that.
Also, how does the Denon D2k and AKG K550 compare with the HE-400?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:
Thanks for your detailed input,

Honestly, I've never heard of the T50RP and I dont see where I could purchase a modded pair... Otherwise, I would check them out.

http://www.mrspeakers.com/ Andddddd  FirePhoenixAudio@gmail.com 

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 43
Hi,

The Pro 80Ohm DT770 is warmer and bassy. It is still somewhat bright but the bass masks the treble a little bit. Also the headphone is warmer and has more midrange than the ATH-M50. Since they are 80Ohms, they aren't that hard to power but I do recommend and amp. 

The D2000 is bright and heavy on the bass. Not as heavy as the D2000. They do lack some midrange though.

I have not heard the K550 though, but they aren't bass heavy from what I have read.

Quote:
Hi,

I saw your video on youtube reviewing the DT880 and explaining differences between 250 and 32 Ohms, it was very helpful.
Uhm whats the DT770's sound signature like? And I think 80Ohms is too much for just The National and an iPod Classic, please clarify that.
Also, how does the Denon D2k and AKG K550 compare with the HE-400?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:
I've written in detail how D2000 compares with HE-400.  Even the HE-400 will come off as a bit bass-light compared to the M50, but it still has a rather large amount of bass.  

Thanks, I'm taking a read at the moment.
Quote:
http://www.mrspeakers.com/ Andddddd  FirePhoenixAudio@gmail.com 

Thanks for that,

Is the MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphone what you were referring to?
The reviews seem pretty good and for $250 it looks like a great bargain... Ive never seen anyone compare it to another headphone nor have it heard it mentioned in other recommendation threads... Do you own a pair yourself and compared it with another headphone?

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Thanks, I'm taking a read at the moment.

Thanks for that,

Is the MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphone what you were referring to?
The reviews seem pretty good and for $250 it looks like a great bargain... Ive never seen anyone compare it to another headphone nor have it heard it mentioned in other recommendation threads... Do you own a pair yourself and compared it with another headphone?

I'd like to keep the bias out of it. I hold my MD in high regard. However I also gave you a link to LFF, who puts together another great headphone.
Though it's more on the neutral side. These headphones are better values than anything but maybe the HE-400, in my opinion.

Jul 28, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:
I'd like to keep the bias out of it. I hold my MD in high regard. However I also gave you a link to LFF, who puts together another great headphone.
Though it's more on the neutral side. These headphones are better values than anything but maybe the HE-400, in my opinion.

I didnt get a link for LFF, you just told me to check them out but I googled it and nothing came up, so yeah.

I heard the MD could be comparable to the LCD-2, but Im not sure if I like its sound signature. I'll do a bit more research on these for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back