beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Sep 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #136 of 1,963
It does seem counter-intuitive that a low-impedance can would sound better out of an amp with a high-impedance output. Spec-wise, I'd expect these cans to require more current than voltage. But who knows? Stranger things have happened, I suppose *shrug*

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #137 of 1,963
The T1 measure 1250 ohms at 100Hz, so I'd expect the T5p to have 70 ohms somwhere around 100Hz. However, I will concur any statement the T1 need 120 ohms of output impedance which was the case for old 600 ohm headphones years ago. The T1 sound their best from low impedance outputs. I agree with jpelg - lack of impact means hunger for current which is not fully covered or (less probable) too small capacitances in PSU and/or output section of the amp.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #138 of 1,963

Skylab– good info for you (I spoke with friends from Beyer) is that 600 ohm closed version is in progress. So during few mounts they will be in market. My friend said me that Beyer is preparing very special surprise for audiophile enthusiasts. I do not know what it is, but my friend said that it is very interesting thing.

Majkel- Beyerdynamic headphones requires specific setup – 45-47 ohms output impedance so then they sounds well. I compared Beyer A1 amp (tuned especially for Beyer Premium series) and Lyra mk2 with setup for Beyers and setup for Sennheisers. The difference is very significant. When you insert T1 to Sennheiser’s setup then the result is ugly, same as you insert HD 800 to A1 amp. So it depends how is the device built and for which headphones is “setupped”.

M00hk00h– As I said, it depends in which chain you listen them. Some portable devices will be good combination with good synergy, some are going to be ugly. I asked my friend to borrow me one T5p and DT 770 with 32ohms so I will compare the addition of T5p and the setups. I will present info here, naturally.

Skylab– When I finish comparing DT 770 with 32 ohms and actual T5p my friend would like to do it with 600 ohm version. So things are in good way.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #139 of 1,963
I would like Beyerdynamic to release open headphones which will blow away the Ultrasone Edition 10 with both sound and sane price. Honest pricing and robust construction is what I get from Beyerdynamic each time.

Regarding the amp - I have something surpassing the Cary Audio SLI-80 (compared directly) with the T1 and Grado's RS1 (nothing else I had on hand), and its output impedance is 0.2 ohms.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #140 of 1,963

Quote:
It does seem counter-intuitive that a low-impedance can would sound better out of an amp with a high-impedance output. Spec-wise, I'd expect these cans to require more current than voltage. But who knows? Stranger things have happened, I suppose *shrug*

120 Ohm is still a standard for output impedances AFAIK. It's just outdated and ignored by everyone except beyer. That's why their equipment has 120 ohm. So they are developing on 120Ohm output impedance, although...

Quote:
The T1 measure 1250 ohms at 100Hz, so I'd expect the T5p to have 70 ohms somwhere around 100Hz. However, I will concur any statement the T1 need 120 ohms of output impedance which was the case for old 600 ohm headphones years ago. The T1 sound their best from low impedance outputs. I agree with jpelg - lack of impact means hunger for current which is not fully covered or (less probable) too small capacitances in PSU and/or output section of the amp.

...I agree, that the T1 sounds best on low output impedances - as do all the beyer headphones, even though I know for sure, that the premium line (DT770, 880, 990) were developed for 120 Ohm outputs. That's also one the reasons for the A1 having 100 Ohm output impedance. I remember having talked to a developer about this before and he even doubted that someone could hear the difference.

I will call them tomorrow and try to clearify this once and for all...

And by the way, my amp is rated 2,4W at 16 Ohms. There is definitely not a problem with low impedance phones. And if there was it would have shown with other phones before (see my profile).

Quote:
Majkel- Beyerdynamic headphones requires specific setup – 45-47 ohms output impedance so then they sounds well. I compared Beyer A1 amp (tuned especially for Beyer Premium series) and Lyra mk2 with setup for Beyers and setup for Sennheisers. The difference is very significant. When you insert T1 to Sennheiser’s setup then the result is ugly, same as you insert HD 800 to A1 amp. So it depends how is the device built and for which headphones is “setupped”.

The A1 is not "especially tuned" for beyers. The 100 Ohm output impedance is a result of two things: 1st is that beyer developed their headphones after the standard, which is 120 Ohm on the output. So they stick to the standard and tried to respect it even in their amp. 2nd is that with 100 Ohm the average power distribution from 32 to 600 Ohms is quite equal. So as long as the headphones have the same sensivity they will play with about the same volume. I learned this from the developer after I asked for the 100 Ohm output. This was also the moment he told me that one shouldn't be able to hear the difference, anyways.

From my (and from the "hifi") point of view the A1 is a badly design. It doesn't even work with the beyer headphones, IMHO. And I say that with the DT880 '03 being my favorite headphone (on low impedance outputs). So I would consider myself a "bright" listener and I am not used to too much bass.

But the T5 has simply no deep bass at all (exaggeration added) on anything around 0 Ohms.

I will get back to you guys when I have talked / mailed with the developer.

Quote:
neptius said:

M00hk00h– As I said, it depends in which chain you listen them. Some portable devices will be good combination with good synergy, some are going to be ugly. I asked my friend to borrow me one T5p and DT 770 with 32ohms so I will compare the addition of T5p and the setups. I will present info here, naturally.

The deficiencies we're talking about are much larger then even the best "synergy" wouldn't be able to overcome. A player that could do that would need have a serious deep bass boost...

OK, back to topic:

I listened to the T5 on my Yamaha a little more (remind you, a speaker amp - so no problem with current, right?). The output impedance is 390 Ohm (if I interpret the technical data correctly). And even with this high output impedance the bass levels are even to my DT880s on 0 Ohms. But you trade the bass for muffled mids although it's a more natural coloration over the whole frequency band.
But I still can't get life out these phones. There is so little punch. Barely any kick in the bass, little crack in the Snares, and hardly enough sizzle in cymbals to be fun.
(Yeah, I'm a drummer - now you know it. And yes, I take care of my hearing.)
And mind you, I'm not used to loudness characteristics in headphones. So that's not where my complaints come from.

Something went seriously wrong here... *rolls eyes*

Pretty long post...I wanted give you guise a little more information about me since I'm not very active here lately. Should help you classify my statements.

m00h

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #141 of 1,963
The power transfer explanation makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing that. Simple calculations show that a 32 ohm beyer will sound about as loud as a 250 ohm model (1.8 mW vs 2 mW) if sensitivity values are similar. 600 ohm models on the other hand will not, but that was obvious.

And you're right about the bad design choice in a hifi pov. But maybe the higher ohm beyers are indeed audibly unaffected, who knows.

So.. the T5 is a can-y version of the T50p? 
o2smile.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #142 of 1,963
Interesting remarks guys, keep it up.  It's too bad if this is true, considering how well Beyer did on the T1.  I love the T1 and would definitely be in the market for a sealed version with a similar signature...

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #144 of 1,963
While I appreciate the posts from those who have heard this rare bird, it would be dangerous to pin one's decision on the impressions of so few people. Even amongst this small set, the gear variation is too great, and possibly not optimal.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #145 of 1,963
From the impressions of the Berlin-meet:

Quote:
DanG said:

I tried the new Beyerdynamic T5p, the closed version of the T1 (I hope I got that right).  When I listened to the T1 in the big rig in the "high-end" room, I thought it was very good, though I preferred the Sennheiser HD-800 -- at least with the acoustic music that was playing.  But plugging in the T5, I wasn't really impressed.  Soundstage wasn't spectacular and I just didn't hear anything that seemed to justify its high price.  It's too bad, since I do like my 250 as a closed office headphone.

I couldn't agree more (except for the HD800 over the T1 part :p).
And mind you, this was a normal T5, not a pre-series model.

m00h

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #146 of 1,963
I compared the T1 to the HD800 today side by side. The T1 is after the cable connection mod, and it's almost in another league. The advantage of the HD800, is, if I actually can call it so, the sounstage extension along the Z axis (height). Beyer's had more coherent frequency response and better spatial imaging, let's name it holography. The Senns paint flat sound pictures, with the T1 you perceive the whole body of each sound. The setup consisted of the ayon CD-2, my DIY amp and pseudo-balanced IC's.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #147 of 1,963
did I miss something? Where is the review?

Quote:
beyerdynamic just announced the the beyer T5p in Beijing today.

I believe there are (at the time of this posting) only a few units of the T5p in the world, and one of them is right here.

First impressions are going to have to wait, as I just received this beyer T5p direct from beyerdynamic in Germany today.

To see the below photos in their full-size versions, please click on the following link:  beyerdynamic T5p

4733484711_91110943b9.jpg

4734120306_abeb3a2e94.jpg

4734117328_1752057528.jpg

4733474135_87cddf9d41.jpg

4733470597_5b9982b9d0.jpg

4734107180_fbfbac61bd.jpg

I'll post more information later.  First impressions will come during the weekend (or just after the weekend).

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #148 of 1,963
There is 1 review here
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508803/review-of-the-all-new-beyerdynamic-t5p-dynamic-headphone

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #149 of 1,963

Quote:
There is 1 review here
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508803/review-of-the-all-new-beyerdynamic-t5p-dynamic-headphone

Well, for me this is more something like a preview, then a real review. There is barely any information about the most important thing, the sound reproduction.

Here is another impression from the Berlin meet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmushorn in the Berlin-meet thread

One of my main reasons to go to this meet was to find out if the new T5p was any good. 

I spend some time listening to it from different portable amplifiers, the iQube, the P-51 and DanG's 2Move. I found that the detail-level is great (Typical for the other Teslas too), they are generally very open sounding bearing in mind that they are closed. They do lack some timber and decay compared to my reference, the cheaper Grado SR325i. They also did not involve me in the music like the T50p does to me. I simply did not find this headphone to me my taste. Considering the price tag I am VERY happy that I bought the T50p instead of the T5p. 

I have to admit that I started the day with a hangover and AffeX and I came in a bit late. 
I have to admit that I started the day with a hangover and AffeX and I came in a bit late. 

There pretty much was a great consensus that the T5 lacks warmth/musicality and is relatively 'boring' sounding.

m00h

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #150 of 1,963
I seem to disagree. I've been listening to my T5s for a couple of days now and have to say i am very impressed. I do like them better on a dedicated amp though wich is not what they were really made for. They sound very musical and full of depth on my Concerto much like the T1s. Very neutral in sound. And due to the closed design 0 background noise.
But this should be more about portability. As a portable headphone I have listened to them on my Sony mp3 and ibasso d10. Again I found them to be a "great" sounding headphone. Not lifeless or boring. I still can't believe the price tag though.
Clearly a lot of work and build quality went into the making of these headphones. They are the most comfortable set I've ever owned. ( Hate the short cord though )

In short I don't think I would pay this much just for portable use but will use them as my regular cans as well.

Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back