beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Aug 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #123 of 1,963
getting mugged might be an issue, though I bet since they don't stand out like say the ipod headphones (which are iconic and indicate you are using an ipod - a very common device to mug) the mugger will probably sell them for dirt cheap unless he researches them online 1st :) and is not a dumbass to sell them online :p

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #124 of 1,963
Hi Jude. Would you mind comparing T5P with Edition 8? Thanks.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #125 of 1,963
Choochoo– comparing T5p (resp. T1) and Ultrasone Ed 8? They are closed, they are excellent headphones, but they have very different sound characteristics (presentation). So I think it is difficult to compare them by sound.

In twitter BeyerdynamicHQ (headquarter) presents several useful information. It is most in German language. There you can obtain latest information.

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #126 of 1,963

Quote:
had a brief listen to t5p today......definitely a must buy for me, too bad no pre-order on the spot at the show. Using Hifiman HM-801 portable player as source, sound signature/quality is kind of like T1, still very outstanding in mids and it's a bit of warmer sounding compared to T1, also more bass quantity and impact, quite suitable for pop songs. But they are inferior to T1 in terms of airiness and transparency by a narrow margin. An all-around musical headphone I would say. Extremely comfortable thanks to the the leather earpad and the newly designed leather headband which is thicker and softer than t1's. I heard the price is more or less the same as T1 in hk. I think it is more reasonable to price them at usd1000.

i like the sound of this a lot actually
thanks 4 the impression
regards

990/600 ohm vs t5p anyone

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #127 of 1,963
Comparing DT 990 with 600 ohm impedantiona nd T5p gives you very poor information. DT 990 are open when T5p are closed, and T5p has 32 ohms impedantion. So it is very different as 600 ohm headphones. More rational is comparing DT 770 with 32 ohms and T5P or DT 880 with 600 ohms and T1. Or, in other aspect, if you have very universal amplifier with perfect setup for Beyerdynamic headphones, then you can do „some comparing“.

Sep 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #128 of 1,963
So I have the T5p at home right now.

I am a bit disappointed and confused by what beyerdynamic has done with the T5p.
On "normal" headphone amps with output impedances of something around 0 to 10 ohms this headphone will not produce any deep bass at all. This applies to most portable media players as well, at least my clip and my Zen Sleek. Very little bass impact and volume in the upper ranges and definitely missing warmth in the mids. The heights are neither too loud nor missing at all and are very well resolved.
The virtual stage is really more upfront then around or next to the ears and I feel a little like constantly listening with crossfeed activated. Unfortunately this is also true for the rest of the reproduction. Crossfeed takes away a lot of the power and makes everything sounding really relaxed. And this is one of the main issues I'm having with the T5 on low impedance outputs: it's boring. There is absolutely no energy transmitted; work to rules.

I was comparing it to my 600 Ohms DT770 (with black velour pads). The sound signature of these two phones are really, really close. The T5 lacking the peak in the heights and the deep bass and impact of the DT770 but besides of that it's hard to tell them apart just from the overall coloration. I would consider both headphones to be on the bright side. Remember, the T5 being on a low impedance output (0.1 Ohm).

But since beyerdynamic develops it's headphones for 120 Ohm outputs I tried the T5 on the output of my Yamaha amp which has quite a few Ohms on the output (although I don't remember the exact value). As the T5 is 32 Ohms only it should react rather strong to different output impedances.
So even after only the first few measures of listening it was clear: there it is. The warmth. The bass. The impact.

And this is the part that confuses me: why develop a portable headphone for the use with MP3 players and develop it for 120 Ohm outputs?

So far as a first impression. I'm going to bed now.

m00h

PS: DT770/600 with T5 pads is a killer phone...

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #129 of 1,963
Very interesting, m00h.  Why, indeed?  Glad I held off on these, though.  I'm sure a closed 600 ohm Tesla is coming...

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #132 of 1,963
LOL - no, not likely Frank, but I suppose you never know.  I've generally sold other cans when I get new ones, and if a 600 ohm closed Tesla comes out, and it's good, that would probably be the end of my 770/600's, as much as I like them.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #133 of 1,963
Thanks for the impressions. Good questions too. May have to hold off on these for a bit.

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #134 of 1,963
m00hk00h's impressions are intriguing. Would really like to try them on my Meier Prehead's 120-ohm output. However, it is more than a bit counter-intuitive that this headphone sound best out of a home amp though.

That, and the price is pretty dang steep, particularly if the DT770/600 is that close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back