beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Nov 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,831 of 1,963

Isn't the AK240 equalized (not just tuned)  for the AKT5p?  If so, you can plug a T5p to an iCan Micro, turn the bass boost to max...and then compare an equalized T5p to an equalized AKT5p in order to determine which model has more bass.  If you turn the iCan's 3D setting on, you can also proceed to compare the soundstage of the two headphones.

I'm not directing this at you, btw.   You are one of the few people who point out that the comparison is not perfect.   Most people just claim that the AKT5p is better and that it has more bass.   I would like to how these two compared when they are plugged into the same chain.  

On Amazon, the T5p is selling for $700 and the AKT5p goes for $1300.  If the AKT5p is indeed better, is it $600 better?  If you hear both, powered by the same amp, and there is not much of a difference (or no difference at all), then the T5p is the better option.  

Yes, equalized, as I understand.  When I was trying the AKT5p, I was using jude's AKT5p and AK200 with the included balanced cable.  There is a specific EQ setting for the AKT5p on the AK200 player.  Since it was at a headphone meet and I had my own T5p, I should have just plugged them in as well, but since they were single ended rather than balanced, and since I didn't have jude right at my side, I didn't want to start fiddling with his stuff to put mine on, so I never did a fair comparison.  My suspicion is that the T5p can be equalized and balanced to match the AKT5p performance, but that is only suspicion, not observation.

Nov 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,832 of 1,963
  Yes, equalized, as I understand.  When I was trying the AKT5p, I was using jude's AKT5p and AK200 with the included balanced cable.  There is a specific EQ setting for the AKT5p on the AK200 player.  Since it was at a headphone meet and I had my own T5p, I should have just plugged them in as well, but since they were single ended rather than balanced, and since I didn't have jude right at my side, I didn't want to start fiddling with his stuff to put mine on, so I never did a fair comparison.  My suspicion is that the T5p can be equalized and balanced to match the AKT5p performance, but that is only suspicion, not observation.

Well, if someone has a suspicion - one that is based on what they've read and not on what they've heard - that the AKT5p is better than the T5p...then that suspicion is going to cost them $600.   Ouch!!!

For the price of one AKT5p you could buy two T5p's...or you could buy one T5p and a T1 (ver 1) .  LOL.

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,833 of 1,963
Well, if someone has a suspicion - one that is based on what they've read and not on what they've heard - that the AKT5p is better than the T5p...then that suspicion is going to cost them $600.   Ouch!!!

For the price of one AKT5p you could buy two T5p's...or you could buy one T5p and a T1 (ver 1) .  LOL.

Doing the best I can.... just wish I had been able to try each under the same conditions! I definitely heard the AKT5p sounding better than the T5p, but only later realized it was an unfair comparison tilted in favor of the AKT5p.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,834 of 1,963
Doing the best I can.... just wish I had been able to try each under the same conditions! I definitely heard the AKT5p sounding better than the T5p, but only later realized it was an unfair comparison tilted in favor of the AKT5p.

beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,835 of 1,963
Anyone got pictures of the travel case that comes with the T5p version that comes with the metal case?

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,836 of 1,963
Anyone got pictures of the travel case that comes with the T5p version that comes with the metal case?

It's the metal case and a soft fabric bag, no case. Beyerdynamic are now selling a nice case though, for the T1 I believe, but it should fit the T5p (otherwise the MrSpeakers case fits nicely).

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,837 of 1,963
It's the metal case and a soft fabric bag, no case. Beyerdynamic are now selling a nice case though, for the T1 I believe, but it should fit the T5p (otherwise the MrSpeakers case fits nicely).

Thank you for the information! :)

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,838 of 1,963
Had the great fortune of trying out the AK T1Ps a few hours ago. Tried them against the AK T5ps, normal T5ps, Audez'e LCD-XCs and Oppo PM-3s. Sources were a colorfly C4, AK 120 II and AK380.

Impressions for individual equipment:

AK 380: AK 380 is superb. Produces a jet black background and drives all the headphones with control and authority, yet ekes out amazing detail from every one of them. The price is insane for a portable media player but you do hear the difference between this and the colorfly c4 and ak 120 II. Really found that this player brought out the best in every headphone and didn't really pair badly with any of them.Would say soundwise, I'd rank the headphones in this order LCD-XC, T1P, AKT5p, T5p, PM-3

AK 120 II: They didn't have the more popular 240 in stock but the 120 II is supposed to sound exactly the same for non DSD music. Found this to be an extremely good sounding player too. Similar style to the AK 380 but just a touch less detail, smaller soundstage and a little less bass thump. Build quality still great. For some reason though, found this player didn't gel with the T1p though. Just sounded slightly thin and the bass was quite a bit worse than with the AK 380. 

Colorfly C4: Such an old player but still IMO the most physically beautiful. UI is utter rubbish compared to the AK players but using that analogue volume attenuator almost makes up for it. Sound wise, surprisingly good. Would say it's a tiny bit worse than the 120 II overall but actually better for certain headphones. With the LCD-XC, the bass doesn't hit as deep compared to the AK 120 II. However, it definitely pairs better with the T1p and regular T5p than the 120 II. Much more musical and makes those two headphones an absolute blast to listen to. I'd say overall, the 120 II is slightly better technically (blacker background, slightly more 3D soundstage) but the C4 is a bit more musical and has the potential to still extract tons of detail.

LCD-XC: Best sound overall IMO. Not by a huge margin, but overall what I thought was best. Was good with all 3 players, had the most detail, great bass and just enjoyably smooth, liquid balance across the entire frequency range. No songs sounded bad from these headphones. however, I decided not to buy due to the insane weight which I found uncomfortable after 30 or so minutes of use.

AK T1p: Interesting headphones. I found them slightly less detailed than the regular T1 (2nd gen) from memory. However, still a superb headphone. Treble isn't hot but can be a little uneven on certain songs. Bass is solid if not great. Midrange and soundstage, very good and very musical with both the AK 380 and Colorfly C4. Something just didn't sound right with the 120 II though, bass was reduced and sounded sterile. Honestly loved this combo with the Colorfly C4 but still thinking about whether I'll regret buying a semi open headphone, they do allow quite a bit of sound to flow in and out

AK T5p: Super comfortable. More comfortable than the T1 imo due to the leather cups. (personal preference) Very good overall. Black background, detailed, fast, great soundstage for a closed headphone. Midrange fabulous though not as detailed as LCD-XC. Treble smoother than the regular T5p or T1p but still can sound hot on occasion with certain songs. Those songs stand our more I guess compared to the regular T5p. Female vocals on certain songs also sound a tad less energetic and realistic compared to T1P or T5P. Bass quantity slightly more than regular T5p and has nice thump. Best bass behind the LCD-XC.

Regular T5p: Great soundstage. (slightly airier and better than the AK T5P IMO) Black background, detailed, fast. Superb midrange and treble IMO, especially with the AK 380. Sounds hot on maybe 1 out of 10 songs but otherwise, outperforms the AK T5p or T1p IMO. For some reason, I just found these to sound slightly clearer but more importantly, more lively, airy and realistic than either of the AK models. I found the biggest gap with the AK 380 but even with the 120 II or Colorfly C4, I thought that these did better on vocals and most instruments. Arguably best midrange IMO, maybe even better than the LCD-XC.
Bass a notch or two too light. Fast, detailed and punchy but quantity lacking. Quite noticeable for certain songs, much less so for others. 

Oppo PM-3: Read all about it and it doesn't disappoint. I'd say it was the worst headphone but it was really really close and has a super easy to like sound signature. More or less neutral with a touch of deep bass and high treble roll off. Slightly warm midrange. Frankly, for anyone looking for a closed back portable headphone for about 4-500, this is it. Superb for the price. Lacks that last bit of detail to challenge the rest but superb.

In conclusion, I'm now deciding between the Colorfly C4 or AK 120 II and planning to get a AK T1P(first choice) or regular T5P. Deciding on whether I'll need a closed back or can live with the semi-open. The surprise of the whole audition was the regular T5p. Really loved it's midrange presentation. Was also impressed by all 3 players and have to make a touch choice between the 120 II and C4 now :) 

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,839 of 1,963
If the XC was the best that doesn't bode well for the others in that roundup...

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,841 of 1,963
Can we use the dt990 velour Beyer pads on this?  Just want to make sure, because the cups look a little larger.  Leather is great on jackets and shoes, but for all day wearing headphones the constant scent on your face is distracting.  Or anyone know where to buy the pads and headband material from the t70/t90?

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,842 of 1,963
  Can we use the dt990 velour Beyer pads on this?  Just want to make sure, because the cups look a little larger.  Leather is great on jackets and shoes, but for all day wearing headphones the constant scent on your face is distracting.  Or anyone know where to buy the pads and headband material from the t70/t90?

That's not a good idea unless you think the T5P bass levels are too much for you. The velour pads of any sort will leak out the low end frequencies. Velour generally go with open headphones. Closed = tight fitting leather. I might want to try some made made leather. There are cheap ones on Ebay. I would personally stick with OEM, but those are around $200.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,843 of 1,963

That's not a good idea unless you think the T5P bass levels are too much for you. The velour pads of any sort will leak out the low end frequencies. Velour generally go with open headphones. Closed = tight fitting leather. I might want to try some made made leather. There are cheap ones on Ebay. I would personally stick with OEM, but those are around $200.

I'm very aware, but I'd rather boost low levels in the EQ than have leather pads.  Leather pads are a deal breaker for me.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,844 of 1,963

I'm very aware, but I'd rather boost low levels in the EQ than have leather pads.  Leather pads are a deal breaker for me.

You can try it. I did my own experiment with my DT880 pads a while back and the loss of mid to low end was so great, I doubt EQ will fix it. I really wanted it to work since the DT880 pads are so comfortable. Also forgot to mention, there is sound bleed with the velour pads and if you can live with that, just go for the T1 LOL.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #1,845 of 1,963
I actually do the opposite and use their "gel" pads.... they get a bit sweaty but sound is better/fuller to my ears. These days though I usually just stare at the headphones lol

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2015/01/quilted-maple-beyer-t5ps.html

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back