beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,306 of 1,963
  The bad news: I had three cables die out, all within about a month of being installed.  The old version cable, which can be seen here (http://youtu.be/TSR3rXSwFao?t=1m25s) just never worked for me and fell apart shockingly fast.

The good news: Beyerdynamic have a new cable that has held up (at least for over two months so far), and they've been super helpful in getting my T5Ps re-cabeled in-warranty, despite me living half a world away.

The better news: everything else about this headphone is simply fantastic, and now that the cable issue has been solved I don't have a single complaint.

I've just had the same thing happen to me as well. 

Had mine for 6 months and have sparsely used them (at home only).

This new cable you talk of - is the entire cable new or just the termination??

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #1,308 of 1,963
As far as I understand, it's an entirely new cable, from cups to 1/8 adapter.  I did not watch them install it, but I did see that it came coiled and wrapped in plastic.

Jun 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #1,310 of 1,963
  Oh right. Must be new then. I take it that it's as supple and light as before.

Reckon this will break soon too??

I'm not positive, but it looks like from the redesign on the cable that there's now a much needed strain-relief on the plug.  This should add some strength/longevity to the cable.

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,312 of 1,963
  Oh right. Must be new then. I take it that it's as supple and light as before.

Reckon this will break soon too??

Unlikely.  Beyer just didn't know how to [easily] deal with the Neutrik's less than stellar strain relief.  They can make fine molded plugs, but why they bothered with that little Neutrik is beyond me.  If it was for the sake of having a "premium plug", they should have gone with something else or an original design of their own.  The right-angled Neutrik mini uses uses a plastic clamp with textured grips, not as effective as regular plugs with their crimpable, metal strain relief clamps or Neutrik's own plastic chuck strain relieves found in their full-sized phone plugs and XLR plugs.  It is easy for a cable to slip through the little Neutrik's plastic grip.  I've seen people improvise with heatshrink, I've used epoxy the few times that I used the plug.  Beyer just stuck with the stock strain relief when I think they should have gone with a molded-on strain relief, then add on the aluminum casing and all, much like how Audio-technica and Sony (among others) do.

Jun 8, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,313 of 1,963

Unlikely.  Beyer just didn't know how to [easily] deal with the Neutrik's less than stellar strain relief.  They can make fine molded plugs, but why they bothered with that little Neutrik is beyond me.  If it was for the sake of having a "premium plug", they should have gone with something else or an original design of their own.  The right-angled Neutrik mini uses uses a plastic clamp with textured grips, not as effective as regular plugs with their crimpable, metal strain relief clamps or Neutrik's own plastic chuck strain relieves found in their full-sized phone plugs and XLR plugs.  It is easy for a cable to slip through the little Neutrik's plastic grip.  I've seen people improvise with heatshrink, I've used epoxy the few times that I used the plug.  Beyer just stuck with the stock strain relief when I think they should have gone with a molded-on strain relief, then add on the aluminum casing and all, much like how Audio-technica and Sony (among others) do.

When I had a Beyer-approved shop fix my cable the first time, they replaced the connector with a straight Rean plug, which seemed odd to me at the time, but makes sense in light of your comments. That cable went bad too though, so who knows :wink:

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,314 of 1,963
   I've used epoxy the few times that I used the plug.  

Awesome suggestion, I'm going to preemptively epoxy the inside of my plug to help avoid a failure.  

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,315 of 1,963
Thanks for the response guys.

It's actually quite scary how the cable disintegrates almost naturally. It's my third beyer T5p it's happened to. Putting it in context; the most experienced headphone manufacturer out there and this is their (joint) highest priced product. Oversight or what. 

Still in contact with polar audio, beyers registered dealer in the UK - want to know the exact cable they'll replace it with. 

I Was thinking though to send this headphone for a copper recable to veteran headfier hifliyin9 (zysonic). He can do a cardas copper rewire (with a bit of a foam mod around the cable entry/exit point of the cup). In the states though so delivery and customs (esp uk customs) are going to scale costs / time to something I'm not willing to pay / wait for. 

Otherwise going to send it back to amazon as faulty and be done with it! 

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,317 of 1,963
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,318 of 1,963
Thanks for the response guys.

It's actually quite scary how the cable disintegrates almost naturally. It's my third beyer T5p it's happened to. Putting it in context; the most experienced headphone manufacturer out there and this is their (joint) highest priced product. Oversight or what. 

Still in contact with polar audio, beyers registered dealer in the UK - want to know the exact cable they'll replace it with. 

I Was thinking though to send this headphone for a copper recable to veteran headfier hifliyin9 (zysonic). He can do a cardas copper rewire (with a bit of a foam mod around the cable entry/exit point of the cup). In the states though so delivery and customs (esp uk customs) are going to scale costs / time to something I'm not willing to pay / wait for. 

Otherwise going to send it back to amazon as faulty and be done with it! 

Maybe Toxic Cables in the UK can help? I believe they have some high-quality copper options. Not sure whether Frank has done T5p before, though...

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,320 of 1,963
Hi T5P users!
I just purchased a used pair on ebay and im kind of unsure why these cans get praise. Perhaps i just havent figured out the tilt in the drivers sweet spot yet but if anyone has some tips id be grateful to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back