beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
May 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,291 of 1,963
  The bad news: I had three cables die out, all within about a month of being installed.  The old version cable, which can be seen here (http://youtu.be/TSR3rXSwFao?t=1m25s) just never worked for me and fell apart shockingly fast.

The good news: Beyerdynamic have a new cable that has held up (at least for over two months so far), and they've been super helpful in getting my T5Ps re-cabeled in-warranty, despite me living half a world away.

The better news: everything else about this headphone is simply fantastic, and now that the cable issue has been solved I don't have a single complaint.

The worse news (for me):  my cable is having the same problem as yours.  I'm probably going to re-cable them.

May 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,292 of 1,963
  The good news: Beyerdynamic have a new cable that has held up (at least for over two months so far), and they've been super helpful in getting my T5Ps re-cabeled in-warranty, despite me living half a world away.

Glad to hear that your issues have been solved by the new cable design!  Do you happen to have a pic of the new 3.5mm connector?

*Edit- nvm, saw the image you posted a couple pages back*

May 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,293 of 1,963
I received an email from Martin saying that work is in progress... he recently finished like 3 other sets (he posted them on his website, none of them Beyer though) which of course look absolutely stunning so here's to hoping mine turn out decent!!! :)

It's taking quite a long time though. I sent them up in February but his wife was actually pregnant and they welcomed the baby I think a few months ago. So that's why he was slow with all the sets. I don't have time for doing stuff at home and I don't even have a pet, so I cannot imagine myself doing mods with 2 kids, wife, work, etc.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted! :)

I've looked around his site a bit, and I've never seen nor heard of anything less than stellar quality from that guy... So here's hoping it works out for you!! (...sometime this year, lol.)

The worse news (for me):  my cable is having the same problem as yours.  I'm probably going to re-cable them.

Good luck... Seems there aren't a whole lot of places that will do the recable, and some of the ones that will either have ridiculous requirements (e.g., Jaben's insistence they'll only modify headphones you buy from them) or take an incredible amount of time to complete. I don't doubt it's worthwhile when done (I'm having mine redone right now too), but I do wish there were more options for us to have this done.

On a generally unrelated note, I got a set of 60-ohm versions of T51p portables in today, and I've been really pleased with them thus far. If someone needs a set of more portable cans for on the go (that do a decent job of isolating), these should definitely be on your shortlist IMO.

May 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,294 of 1,963
Just got my T5p's in today and listening to them as I type.  

Listening to "Tenenbaum" by the Paper Kites is a treat.  The acoustic guitar is nicely portrayed and the vocals are rich and resonant.  Listening through my 1st generation Musical Fidelity X-Cans amp.  

Can't wait for a more serious listening session tonight 
bigsmile_face.gif

*Edit:  And Bon Iver sounds amazing through these cans.

May 31, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,295 of 1,963
Couple amplification-related impressions:

Musical Fidelity X-Cans (Tube-hybrid)
The sound was a bit thin with the treble pushed forward and mids/bass too recessed.  Also, the amp's gain is too high for these headphones, there was a noticeable amount of hiss during quiet passages.

Budgie SE (all-tube SET):  
It sounds like a completely different set of headphones.  The bass is not only more present, it is both impactful and detailed.  The sound is overall more balanced, with the mids pushed forward.  If I were to characterize the combination of the T5p and this amp in one word, it would be lush.  This is becoming my preferred amplifier for the T5p.

Bottlehead Crack (OTL):  
Untested (I don't expect much from this amp as it is geared towards high-impedance headphones and not the 32Ohm T5p).

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,296 of 1,963
  Couple amplification-related impressions:

Musical Fidelity X-Cans (Tube-hybrid)
The sound was a bit thin with the treble pushed forward and mids/bass too recessed.  Also, the amp's gain is too high for these headphones, there was a noticeable amount of hiss during quiet passages.

Budgie SE (all-tube SET):  
It sounds like a completely different set of headphones.  The bass is not only more present, it is both impactful and detailed.  The sound is overall more balanced, with the mids pushed forward.  If I were to characterize the combination of the T5p and this amp in one word, it would be lush.  This is becoming my preferred amplifier for the T5p.

Bottlehead Crack (OTL):  
Untested (I don't expect much from this amp as it is geared towards high-impedance headphones and not the 32Ohm T5p).

These impressions correlate fairly with mine. T5p is highly dependant on synergy with what it's connected to. Low power, low impedance is the way to go in my experience. I'd like someone to give impression from the AK240 since it has been hyped as a quantum leap in portables and looks to be low power/low impedance capable.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,297 of 1,963
Low impedance is a given as the headphone is also low-impedance.  But T5p shines best with my solid-state desktop amps, which are not low power.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,298 of 1,963
Low impedance is a given as the headphone is also low-impedance.  But T5p shines best with my solid-state desktop amps, which are not low power.

I plan to check out my balanced T5p with some high-powered sources (Audio-gd Master 8, Pass F5 clone) when I get them back. Interested to see how the sound responds, especially given the positive feedback about the bass response when running balanced from a more powerful source.

Here's hoping!!

Also, it's probably about time for my monthly inquiry: WHERE THOSE WOOD T5P'S AT??? :p

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,299 of 1,963
Also, it's probably about time for my monthly inquiry: WHERE THOSE WOOD T5P'S AT???
tongue.gif

I think they are planning on cutting the tree needed for the cups this weekend.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,300 of 1,963
I think they are planning on cutting the tree needed for the cups this weekend. :frowning2:

Ah, makes sense. Redwoods do need plenty of time to grow, I 'spose. :p

Jun 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,301 of 1,963
How I would love to get my Woodified T5p in time for my birthday!!! (the 20th...)
Here's to hoping...

:p

After I have some quality time with them, I will contact you guys so that you compare them to your current T5p's! :)

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #1,302 of 1,963
How I would love to get my Woodified T5p in time for my birthday!!! (the 20th...)
Here's to hoping...

After I have some quality time with them, I will contact you guys so that you compare them to your current T5p's! :)

Happy early birthday!! And yeah, I'm pretty curious to see just what wooden cups would do to the sound :wink:

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,303 of 1,963
Here's to hoping...

Happy Bday.  I hope you finally get them by then...

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,304 of 1,963

Users who are viewing this thread

Back