BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jul 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #1,576 of 1,864
Soz for the double post by the way.

Jul 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #1,578 of 1,864
I think closed phones are probably better nowadays, where less people have dedicated "listening stations" and if you go on Amazon or suchlike you see many people saying "I bought these phones so my wife/girlfriend/child can't hear my music." Besides I quite like the in-a-bubble experience. It's great for working on a PC while listening.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #1,579 of 1,864
I'm surprised by how often I hear people saying they think the Zalman clip-on mic sounds like crap, even when they've never heard it. I've been using it for about a year, on a daily basis, mostly in counter-strike, and it works really, really well. Everyone can hear and understand me very well and I haven't had a single solitary issue with not being heard or understood. What more do you need from a gaming mic?

blink.gif

BTW, if you have the Zalman clip-on mic and people are having a hard time hearing you... have you tried moving it closer to your mouth? It needs to be very close to your mouth, just like a boom mic would be. Clip it onto your headphone cable just under your chin.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,580 of 1,864
I had the zalman clip on a while ago, so I know how it sounds. I might sound fine to you, but to me it doesn't. There is a difference between "work", and quality. Yea, you said that right, it needs to be closer to the mouth to capture the full sound. That is another reason why I don't think it's good. I mean it works ok if you just want ppl to hear you.

Btw, what do you guys think about the 990 Pro vs the Vmoda M-100? I know the M-100 is $300. But I heard a lot of ppl on head-fi here are raving about it. The only downside to those Vmoda headphones are the comfort. I had the Vmoda LP a while ago, and as soon as I put it on my head, it started to hurt my ears + head. Even after trying to stress it out for couple days. My brother also tried it and he said the same thing. So I returned the LP, bought it from amazon. And now the M-100 came out, and from the look of it, it has almost the exact shape and size as the LP, except the more expensive driver inside the earcups.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,581 of 1,864
Fair enough. Care to elaborate on that? Are people having a hard time understanding you are or are you just generally disappointed in its sound quality?

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,582 of 1,864
By the way, on the M-100s, I personally haven't heard them, but they are as you said a little more expensive and are mainly designed as portable phones, closed back and the rest of it.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,583 of 1,864
Quote:
I had the zalman clip on a while ago, so I know how it sounds. I might sound fine to you, but to me it doesn't. There is a difference between "work", and quality. Yea, you said that right, it needs to be closer to the mouth to capture the full sound. That is another reason why I don't think it's good. I mean it works ok if you just want ppl to hear you.

Btw, what do you guys think about the 990 Pro vs the Vmoda M-100? I know the M-100 is $300. But I heard a lot of ppl on head-fi here are raving about it. The only downside to those Vmoda headphones are the comfort. I had the Vmoda LP a while ago, and as soon as I put it on my head, it started to hurt my ears + head. Even after trying to stress it out for couple days. My brother also tried it and he said the same thing. So I returned the LP, bought it from amazon. And now the M-100 came out, and from the look of it, it has almost the exact shape and size as the LP, except the more expensive driver inside the earcups.

Had the M-100 and have the Pro900.  To ME, no comparison.  Pro900 is comfortable, hits harder and is overall a better sound than the M100, which I sold.  Key point. 

And you can find the Pro900 for $230-300 all day long.  There are at least three on the for sale boards on Head Fi.  Right now. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,584 of 1,864
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm owner checking in.

As for the zalman mic discussion above, here is my experience with it..

Yes, this is the thing, people say get the zalman mic, get the zalman mic, but I don't think they fully realize how it isn't amazing at all. It is DECENT and I am really mad about how hyped up it is, it was really bad. 

I can see how people would say a mic is good, or amazing because I am sure 90% of them have not listened to the microphone to hear how it really is, they just ask random people they are in games with if it sounds fine. At that point, yes it is going to sound good, it is pretty clear at times but the microphone makes your voice sound really weird to be honest. At the times the microphone actually does pick up your voice (usually requiring 20db of boost) your voice sounds so different from real life. It sounds somewhat nasally, really clear tbh, and very much like your head is inside of a bucket or really small room without anything in it. 

If I asked any random in a game I was playing with if my voice sounded fine, they would say it did, but if I asked friends who knew how my voice actually sounded, they would tell me it was bad. 

It was so bad to the point where I had to go back to using an xbox live microphone for my mic until I got a different one. The xbox mic is terribly bad and that just goes to show how bad the zalman mic is on accuracy. They would prefer to have a dull, hissy, quiet but more accurate voice over the zalmans clear but skewed sound.

SO, basically I got a Labtec microphone and modded it on my HARX700's which are my gaming headset, second I hooked them up, I didn't tell my friend I put them on, he was like "OH my god, what is with your mic?!" I responded "What?" and he told me how the microphone was so much more clear than the other ones and that it sounded almost professional (He isn't an audio expert at all, but that just kind of goes to show the difference between the zalman mic and the Labtec. On top of that, the labtec mic is not a shirt clipped mic, so it really cuts out background sounds and is just amazing at picking up your voice.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #1,585 of 1,864
I heaven't heard anyone say the Zalman mic is a great mic. The reason its recommended a lot is because its super cheap and can be clipped onto the cable of any headphones so its universal without any modding required.

I've listened to my voice through the Zalman but I didn't really notice how accurate it sounded because its not a concern for me. It didn't strike me as particularly inaccurate but I don't doubt that it is. It does require some mic boost, as well as noise suppression in my case because I've got a fan in my room, but it works perfectly well. Personally I'm not concerned whatsoever about whether or not my voice sounds accurate, just that I'm being heard and understood, and I think a lot of the people who are looking for a quick and easy mic solution without having to use a crappy gaming headset feel the same way.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,586 of 1,864
Quote:
I heaven't heard anyone say the Zalman mic is a great mic. The reason its recommended a lot is because its super cheap and can be clipped onto the cable of any headphones so its universal without any modding required.

I've listened to my voice through the Zalman but I didn't really notice how accurate it sounded because its not a concern for me. It didn't sound particularly inaccurate in my testing but I don't doubt that it is. It does require some mic boost, as well as noise suppression in my case because I've got a fan in my room, but it works perfectly well. Personally I'm not concerned whatsoever about whether or not my voice sounds accurate, just that I'm being heard and understood, and I think a lot of the people who are looking for a quick and easy mic solution without having to use a crappy gaming headset feel the same way.

I was told by probably 20+ people that it was just the most amazing mic ever made, and so I checked amazons reviews, everyone else was saying the same. I only had one person tell me not to get it, sadly I didn't listen to them, oh well.

As far as the mic, yeah, it still is nice, and for the price it is good, but some people just oversold it when they were recommending it to me.

It does work and that is really all you can ask for in a mic, and I will say the boost and noise suppression did work really nice on it, but they did seem to really start making my voice come across even more odd sounding. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,587 of 1,864
I definitely agree that it would be nice if there were more options for cheap, universal clip-on mics that were actually good. The market is flooded with gaming headsets, most of which suck, and its easy to find desktop mics like the one you mentioned, but quality clip-on mics that are cheap are a rarity it seems. Oh well, I'm happy with my Zalman for now...

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,588 of 1,864
Well the labtec isn't a desktop microphone, it was a head mounted microphone that I modded onto a pair of headphones to make a pretty good gaming headset (I was not the first to do this)

Here is mine.

I would attach the mic to the DT770's but I do not think it is worth it to potentially mess up the side of them, and the HARX700's are still good gaming headphones, they are partially open on the back so I can hear myself better when I am talking on skype and such.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #1,590 of 1,864
Quote:
T1 & T5p owner here... gotta love the Beyer sound!

Nice. Care to elaborate on how they sound and how they compare to each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back