BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Oct 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #1,246 of 1,864
What was the title of that thread were all the different Beyerdynamic models are compared?
Can't find the thread.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #1,247 of 1,864

Quote:
What was the title of that thread were all the different Beyerdynamic models are compared?
Can't find the thread.

Not all but..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #1,249 of 1,864
Just upgraded my old dt931 that I enjoyed for many years but are now falling apart, for a pair of t70p. Had them for a few hours and already love them.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #1,250 of 1,864

Quote:
Proud owner of DT 931. Recabled ugly wire by DHC Nucleotide. Very musical. I enjoy it more and more. Thanks monoethylene!

Not ugly..coiled :) :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #1,251 of 1,864
I've decided to let go of the DT990. I'm keeping the closed T70, I just have an overdose of open headphones and with the LCD-2 and HE-500, the DT990 wasn't getting much playtime.
I'd like Beyerdynamic to make a Closed DT990 sounding headphone, with the quality sound of the T70. That would be a WIN.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #1,252 of 1,864
I've been noticing some weird disturbances in sound in my DT990 Pro's (250 Ohm). It seems to be heavily dependant on the fit, but in either case, it sounds like something is loose inside the headphone when playing subbass-heavy tracks. I bothered to find this thread and write this because it really did trouble me at first, but as I started to write and adjust the fit, it became much less pronounced.

Also, I could only notice it in the left phone at first. Then in both, and then it just disappeared.
I think I've noticed this before, but it's never been quite as strong as now.

It's pretty much gone now though and for the most not even noticeable, but anyway, is this just some fit issue or is there something more serious going on here?

Feels like everything is breaking down on me atm, so some reassuring words would be nice. 

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,253 of 1,864

Sometimes, a hair will get into the driver of the Beyer line.  It can be a pain to find and remove, but you are describing that problem pretty much exactly.  Check to see if you have a hair poking through the pad foam into the material underneath.
Quote:
I've been noticing some weird disturbances in sound in my DT990 Pro's (250 Ohm). It seems to be heavily dependant on the fit, but in either case, it sounds like something is loose inside the headphone when playing subbass-heavy tracks. I bothered to find this thread and write this because it really did trouble me at first, but as I started to write and adjust the fit, it became much less pronounced.

Also, I could only notice it in the left phone at first. Then in both, and then it just disappeared.

It's pretty much gone now though and for the most not even noticeable, but anyway, is this just some fit issue or is there something more serious going on here?

Feels like everything is breaking down on me atm, so some reassuring words would be nice. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #1,255 of 1,864
You're describing a very similar problem I have with my DT990s, but I barely notice it when playing music - I first noticed a creak of some sort in the left driver when playing frequencies around 145Hz. Try doing the same thing with a program like SineGen and let me know if you experience the same thing.

Quote:

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #1,256 of 1,864
I'm looking to buy some new head phones and the Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250 are on that list.  I've never really invested in a nice pair and I want to spend somewhere between $150-200.

I plan on using them for 
50% Music (Mainly Rock - Foo Fighters, My Chemical Romance, Greenday type music)
25% Movies (All, mostly action and comedy - while traveling)
25% Games (FPS)

My question is more or less around an amp.  Everything I've read says these need an amp.  So, what amp works well with these?  It will need it to be portable since I do travel for work a lot.  Also, is there portable amps that can plug in while I'm in the office?  Also, are these headphones fair, decent, ok, good, without an amp?  If I can get by with them being decent now so I can save to get the right amp later, I want to do that.  I don't want to sacrifice quality now, just to be able to afford an amp.

Thanks,
Chris 

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #1,257 of 1,864
A lot of people will give specific suggestions, but in a lot of ways, any reasonable amp should have enough to drive the 770/250.

If you want to warm things up a bit and really bring the sound alive, get a entry-level tube amp.  The Beyer 770-990 range absolutely love tubes.  With my experiences with the 880s and 990s, I really can't recommend going without an amp for them, though.

What source do you plan to use?  Is this all computer driven?

Quote:
I'm looking to buy some new head phones and the Beyerdynamic DT 770-PRO 250 are on that list.  I've never really invested in a nice pair and I want to spend somewhere between $150-200.

I plan on using them for 
50% Music (Mainly Rock - Foo Fighters, My Chemical Romance, Greenday type music)
25% Movies (All, mostly action and comedy - while traveling)
25% Games (FPS)

My question is more or less around an amp.  Everything I've read says these need an amp.  So, what amp works well with these?  It will need it to be portable since I do travel for work a lot.  Also, is there portable amps that can plug in while I'm in the office?  Also, are these headphones fair, decent, ok, good, without an amp?  If I can get by with them being decent now so I can save to get the right amp later, I want to do that.  I don't want to sacrifice quality now, just to be able to afford an amp.

Thanks,
Chris 

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #1,258 of 1,864
When I'm in the office, I will be listing to FLAC music through my PC.  When traveling, I will be listening to FLAC as well as watching 1080p, full audio mkv files on my HP Touchpad.  When I am gaming it will be through my PC or my receiver for PS3.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
A lot of people will give specific suggestions, but in a lot of ways, any reasonable amp should have enough to drive the 770/250.

If you want to warm things up a bit and really bring the sound alive, get a entry-level tube amp.  The Beyer 770-990 range absolutely love tubes.  With my experiences with the 880s and 990s, I really can't recommend going without an amp for them, though.

What source do you plan to use?  Is this all computer driven?

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #1,259 of 1,864
That makes it a bit tricky.  Normally, with the computer use I'd recommend a USB dac/amp combo, to bypass the sound of the motherboard or sound card.  With the HP touchpad, though, you're going to need to go with a portable amp that takes a 3.5mm stereo input.

Really, though, the Touchpad + Beyer DT770 + portable amp and necessary cables might not end up quite as portable as you might like.  You're going to need to decide whether you want to carry a full-sized pair of headphones with you everywhere you go.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #1,260 of 1,864

Quote:
Sometimes, a hair will get into the driver of the Beyer line.  It can be a pain to find and remove, but you are describing that problem pretty much exactly.  Check to see if you have a hair poking through the pad foam into the material underneath.

I had a lot of hair on the foam, but I've removed most of it now.
How can I prevent this in the future? I can pretty much see the outlines of my ear in the foam(it's slightly "dented" and the foam is worn there), perhaps they're pressing too hard? Or am I just losing too much hair, lol?

Quote:
You're describing a very similar problem I have with my DT990s, but I barely notice it when playing music - I first noticed a creak of some sort in the left driver when playing frequencies around 145Hz. Try doing the same thing with a program like SineGen and let me know if you experience the same thing.

Is it freeware? The only download link I found was broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back