BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Feb 5, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #556 of 1,864
Haha, just came across a pic of a VERY BEAUTIFUL pop singer wearing my beloved DT-770 Pro-80 cans.

Enjoy!

AmyWinehouse.jpg

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #557 of 1,864
Is the same that i feel (since various days) for my DT990s, that i don't need another headphone. I was considered the Edition 9. But i doubt that that headphone give me (the soundstage, headstage, airyness and speaker-like sound that it give to me and it doesn't leak much sound (is as a semiclosed headphone as far as sound leakage and isolation) ) what it give to me and for that money UMM?, i can buy a Corda Opera amp (to improve more the qualities of my headphone (Sounstage, headstage, mids, image, etc) or what do you think skylab or others that have tried the Arietta and after another amp (is there a lot of improvement or only a little (i want the maximum potential of my headphone))) or a very good and of last generation portable amp with high gain to obtain more volume that sometimes i need...
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still feelin' massive love for my DT880 600Ω.
They made me stop looking for a new set of cans. They're exactly what I always looked for in a can, and hence my W5000's have now served as paper weights for the last 6 months or so.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #558 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by GANESHA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting post wovenhand. I am trying to save for the W5000's. They are $800 online. I havn't heard them yet, just read some positive posts on this forum. I have the DT880's 05's (250). Would you consider them better, and in what areas? Maybe the W5000's are overpriced?

I honestly think the DT880 (even the 250Ω version) are better in every aspect over the W5000. I think the W5000 are way overpriced for what they deliver. They don't sound bad, it's just.. I dunno.
They roll off way too steep in the lower frequencies for my taste and they're not as airy and detailed as the DT880. I know there's many who disagree, but I hear wa-aay more detail with my DT880's than I do with the W5000.
And what I love about the DT880 is that even though their level of detail is staggering, they still manage to hold the music together, you know? They retain musicality and never make the music sound dissected.

If I listen to the W5000 for a half an hour or more I can think they sound pretty good, but every time I switch back to the DT880 it's like "Wooooaaah!".

And last but not least, a headphone costing as much as the W5000 should definetely cater to a wider variety of head sizes. I have a normal sized head, and the only way I can get a decent amount of low end is if I place my hands on the cups. And yes, I've tried bending + other mods to get a better seal, but it just doesn't hit home.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #561 of 1,864
Congratulations, you will don't get dissapointed.
If you don't have an amp, i recommend you one with crossfeed. As the Corda Arietta; it's a Home amp, has crossfeed and sound excellent; and has a very good price; better than any portable. Well, in my opinion is that i believe (this time, not %100 secure); but can be...
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokensound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to get my hands on a pair of DT990. They are being shipped now. I'll report back with love hopefully.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #562 of 1,864
I've owned 3 Beyers (770, 880 and 990) at the same time to see what fits the best. After three years now I still own two of them (880 and 990) and I have to admit: I am a happy owner
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #563 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by GANESHA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks wovenhand. Your post has helped me to decide to not get the
W5000's. Saves me time purchasing and probably returning them.

Glad to be of service!
smily_headphones1.gif

The only thing I think the W5000 does better than the DT880 (and every other headphone too for that matter) is looks. They look amaaaazing. But that's just about the only thing I really like about 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #564 of 1,864
Being the member of Head-Fi for a while, I have forgotten to join the Beyer-Club.

So here is my stash of Beyers:
1) DT100 8 Ohm, cable WK100.00
2) DT770PRO 250 Ohm
3) DT231

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #565 of 1,864
Just added DT880 (250Ohm) to my collection. Now I just need a better amp than the pretty cheap AT-HA20 to drive the D5000 and the DT880 and I'm smiling even bigger.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #566 of 1,864
Sweet. Merciful. Jeebus...

Just pulled my new DT770 Pro (250 ohm) out of the box, queued up Slam by Pendulum, and...

OH GOD, THE BASS!
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #569 of 1,864
Hello BD freaks,

I'm looking for a BD headphone for monitoring my productions of housemusic (so, good bass & sub, but also mids and highs). Now I'm looking at the BT 770 PRO, 880 & 990, but I can't choose between them. I know the 770 PRO has a lot of bass, but I'm wondering if that would end in to much bass?

If I just want a good, clear BD headphone, which one should I chose? (I'm leaning towards the 880, but I don't know if this is the best decision for my purpose).

Thank you!

ps. sorry if this is the wrong topic, but I couldn't find a better place to ask a question about BD than this topic!

pps. money is no issue

Mar 24, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #570 of 1,864
Man, I'm listening to some Mozart... Who says the DT990 can't do classical? Granted I've never had the opportunity to hear anything else, but I suppose that if people got over the "eww, you got bass in my classical!" they'd appreciate what the headphone can do. Especially when you get the violins rising up out of the orchestra, the extra treble boost really makes them stand out, and adds excitment.

On a side note I've also discovered how important it is to mess with your audio settings if you're using your computer as source. I found Vista benefits from a 24-bit 96KHz output setting if you have a Creative sound card, because for some reason on that setting bit-matched playback becomes much more effective at improving quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back