Beyerdynamic Manufaktur's Gooey Gel Ear Seals! (770, 880, 990)
Nov 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #46 of 136
Do they come with........*cough*........lube?
eggosmile.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #47 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG! You people are soooo
evil_smiley.gif

LOL
biggrin.gif
blink.gif

Team Stick Your Fingers Between Beyers FTW!
cool.gif

@Bigfieroman, yeah in the pic you posted, the gel pads wraps around your finger very nicely. Tight fit. Looks very comfy.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I wonder how the leather pads differ in SQ compared to the gel ones... Particularly in the bass department..
confused.gif

Wotan1 has leathers and clear gels, and I asked him this very question. He said that he didn't remember any noticeable difference, but he also was not specifically listening for one. I think the gels would be better, because of a better seal and better isolation. In my opinion, the only edge the leathers have is aesthetics...though they have it in spades.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUSHIE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I either want the red leather or the clear gel. You said there was a cover on the black gel, but so there isn't any cover on the clear? Is there some kind of cover so its not just gel that gets all dirty?

I'll probably end up getting the red leather but the gel sure does seem nifty.

I have never actually seen the black ones in real life. Skylab has the black gel ones and hates them. Wotan1 has both the black gels and the clear gels. He said the black ones have some kind of covering on them (to make them black maybe?) that he described as foil. He said it makes them much less comfortable and more "sweaty". He intends to return the black ones and keep the clear gels and the leathers.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 136
Sig test.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #49 of 136
well, i would imagine there is some difference between the leather and the gels as even between the dt880 and dt770 pads, there is a huge difference in bass though they look very similar.

the dt880 have been noted in some threads such as this to change drastically with a different pad no matter ow much lit looks.

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #50 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is the first really new thing to come down the pike in the headphone world for decades, especially for closed cans. I think Beyer deserves praise for developing and marketing such an off the wall and unattractive but functionally advanced piece of technology.

It is funny you should mention how these are "new". I have been lurking for about a year and I still have really few posts. I am a firm believer in searching before I post, and also in not posting unless I have something to add. As such, I really don't post much here because this board is so incredibly active, everything has ~30+ threads about it. These pads were one of the few things that have not been covered in detail that I have found. Of course, their awesomeness helped motivate me as well.

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #51 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wotan1 has leathers and clear gels, and I asked him this very question. He said that he didn't remember any noticeable difference, but he also was not specifically listening for one. I think the gels would be better, because of a better seal and better isolation. In my opinion, the only edge the leathers have is aesthetics...though they have it in spades.

I have never actually seen the black ones in real life. Skylab has the black gel ones and hates them. Wotan1 has both the black gels and the clear gels. He said the black ones have some kind of covering on them (to make them black maybe?) that he described as foil. He said it makes them much less comfortable and more "sweaty". He intends to return the black ones and keep the clear gels and the leathers.

The Cruella Devils (or Oreo's) posted in the first post are mine and were posted in this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bla...-vader-245881/

Yes I returned the black gels (yuuckk) - although I liked the Darth Vader looks - and kept the clear gels. I know the Cruella/Oreo look is a a bit funny, but they some how grew on me and I really start to like them. They don't get sweaty, the even feel cool.

P1010155.jpg

P1010146.jpg

Nov 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #52 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I really appreciate the impressions of these gel pads, I'd really like to find out more about that gorgeous tube amp in the background!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, it's mine and it's a Pathos Logos integrated hybrid amp.

Nov 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #53 of 136
I know a bunch of other guys claimed to be getting these pads...anyone else receive them yet?

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #54 of 136
Can you guys elaborate a bit more about the added isolation?

Is it quite noticeably more then the stock velour pads?

I have been searching for a full-size that isolates well, and while I love my DT-770, they are quite useless for public places.

I flirted with the HD-25s, but couldn't get used to the massive clamp.

Would buying a pair of these gel pads greatly increase the isolation of the 770s, or is it just a slight subtle adjustment?

Cheers.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #55 of 136
as a Beyerhead, I would not choose the Gels, which are not really intended for home listening.
an aside - HD25 clamping - it is a good idea to keep the headband stretched whilst not being worn. No matter what, they they will otherwise clamp too tightly.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #56 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by slattikarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys elaborate a bit more about the added isolation?

Is it quite noticeably more then the stock velour pads?

I have been searching for a full-size that isolates well, and while I love my DT-770, they are quite useless for public places.

I flirted with the HD-25s, but couldn't get used to the massive clamp.

Would buying a pair of these gel pads greatly increase the isolation of the 770s, or is it just a slight subtle adjustment?

Cheers.

The gels are noticeably better with isolation, but don't cut down on noise coming right through the plastic cup. I think stock is ~18db, if that is right, these are probably ~23db at most.

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #57 of 136
i prefer the gels over leather but i noticed that theres a difference between red crimson leather and black leather sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back