Beyerdynamic Manufaktur's Gooey Gel Ear Seals! (770, 880, 990)
Oct 31, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

Bigfieroman

Head-Fier
I first heard about these pads in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248311

Here is a pic on some Darths:

P1010142-1.jpg

Anyway, that thread was a little soft on opinions of the pads, but it seemed the clear gel pads were the best, so I bought a set from the link below and decided to review them.

Link:

http://shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com/oxi...6d6f7.84461280

Anyway, let me start by saying that these pads are weird. They are ugly, they feel kinda gross in your hand, and they are different from any headphone pad I have ever used. They are also fairly expensive, at more than $40 shipped. They came in simple packaging with instructions and a new set of foam disks to go over the driver.

Install was a bit of a pain, as it is hard to get the entire lip of the pad over the flange of the headphone, but after 5 minutes, I had it sorted. The original set of foam disks are held in by a ring, and I did not feel like trying to remove them. Also, I find the high end to be a little too much on my DT770 Pro/80s, so I just installed the new set of disks between the bottom of the gel pad and the foam retaining ring after I had the gels installed.

Pros and Cons:

+Isolation is much better than the stock pads
+Bass response is even stronger!
+Clamping pressure is very evenly distributed
+Noticeably better SQ all around (probably due to isolation)

-They look goofy
-My ears start to sweat just a bit after an hour

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I wear them at the office, and I really could not care less about what my co-workers think of my headphone aesthetics, and my ears sweat way less than they do in some other headphones.

I strongly recommend these for anyone looking to up the comfort quotient of their higher-end Beyers. I like them a lot more than the stockers and they seem like they will last forever.

They also have these pads in black, but according to the thread above, they have some kind of covering on them that make them feel terrible, so I went for the clear ones.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 136
That picture is not mine, it is from the first link in my post.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 136
I tried a stock pad on one side today just for a direct comparison. There is no doubt, the gels are better in every way except aesthetics!

BTW, these are complete seals...there is no venting to the outside. There is one small hole on the inside that vents the gel part into to headphone, but nothing to the outside.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 136
I wanted to like the gel pads. But I hated them. Give me genuine leather ANY DAY.

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to like the gel pads. But I hated them. Give me genuine leather ANY DAY.

Did you have the black ones or the clear ones? I have the clear ones, and the guy in the thread above says:

"IMO the Cruella Devils are more comfortable then the Darth Vader Beyers... The blacks are covered with a foil which is warmer compared to transparents without the foil."

When he says "Darth Vader Beyers", he is talking about the black gel...the "Cruella Devils" are the clear pads.

Then he said:

"I returned the black gels > yuck..
The cognac leather look and feel fine

The Cruella's (or Oreo's) don't look the best, but feel the best.."

Honestly, I have not tried any leather pads, I have the clear gels and stock pads only. Assuming that the leather pads would feel like the foam from the stock pads covered in soft glove leather, don't see how the leathers could be better. The gel completely distributes the load on my head and seals perfectly, whereas the stock pads had a couple points where I could "feel" them. The gels feel...different, but are unbelievably comfortable. The only downside is the mild sweat they cause, but I would think the leathers would be similar in that regard.

Skylab, I think you need to try out a set of transparent gels...trade you for the deep-cups in your avatar?

Seriously though, I could probably lend them to you for a short while as long as they got back to me pretty quickly...

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 136
LOL! No thanks on the trade
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have the black ones, and they are bogus. But I would never tolerate the look of the clear ones, so I am sticking with leather...

Nov 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 136
Sorry Skylab, I edited my response as you posted...I added:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Seriously though, I could probably lend them to you for a short while as long as they got back to me pretty quickly...

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 136
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass - no need. I need to get my act together and try to sell my black ones...

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the offer, but I will pass - no need. I need to get my act together and try to sell my black ones...

Ahh, you and your silly care for aesthetics. I am gonna take a pic of my pair and post them in the ugly headphones thread!

Nov 6, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 136
LOL. Guilty, as charged...

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 136
Here are some pics of the pads:

Close-up
Photo-0079.jpg

This pic demonstrates how soft the pads are...the only thing compressing them is the stock clamping force, which is almost nothing.
Photo-0080.jpg

And a pic of the whole setup for fun:
Photo-0081.jpg

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 136
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That second pic looks a bit... suggestive...
rolleyes.gif

But yeah, I just ordered it because it looks like it'll play nicely with my glasses.

Yeah...I didn't realize it until I posted the pic, it was unintentional. I was hoping no one would point it out...lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back