Beyerdynamic dt990 premium help
Jan 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Alcuinite

New Head-Fier
Hi, this pair of headphones will be my first pair of headphones, high/low end regardless. i have been listening to iems all this while and thought of having a go at headphones. i am totally new in this area and therefore require some help or advice. I have read from other threads that i would probably require an amp? Are the fiio e11 good enough for the 250 ohm or even the 32ohm variant?

i am currently deciding between the 32ohm and 250ohm variants as i definitely do not have the budget for an amp dedicated to the 600ohm one. Please advice me on what to do as i really look forward to enjoying great music. i am currently using the stock apple earbuds.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 15
It might be enough in the "voltage=H" mode (whatever that is, powered from an external supply instead of batteries ?), but you will not have much headroom left for equalization etc. or for (classical) music with high dynamic range requirements. The 32 Ohm version is a safe choice for low impedance sources, at the cost of a small downgrade in sound quality; it is obviously still much better than the Apple earbuds. But with 250 Ohm, you also have the choice of the cheaper Pro version that is often available at bargain prices, leaving more money for a better amplifier.

Edit: the voltage=L/H is apparently just a switch on the E11 that allows for a trade-off between power and battery life. Obviously, for the DT990-250, you would want the higher voltage mode; but in terms of battery life, this is offset by the low current requirement of the high impedance headphone. According to this test, it looks usable, but, as I already noted, you will not have a lot of power.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 15
FiiO E11 is definitely enough to power the DT990, but if you're thinking of using them in a portable set up the DT990 isn't a good idea. Stay away from the 32 ohm models since the 250 ohm can be powered by the E11 anyways.

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 15
I would recommend you to get the 250 ohm version. I own the 250 ohm version myself, and it does sound a lot smoother than the 32 ohm version. Currently I use a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 for my Beyers (and personally I think it's a match made in heaven!), but earlier I listened through the headphone jack of a Yamaha receiver which sounded pretty good as well. They are not performing their best directly from a standard sound card in a computer or from a mobile phone, but they are easy enough to drive from a decent amp or a budget headphone amp.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for all the replies so far. Would it be better if i take the e7 over the e11? I think my desktop"s sound card is rather lousy.Also, would this pair of phones be a better choice compared to the sennheiser hd598 if i can only afford an e7 or e11?Currently looking at the 250 Ohms version. My main usage would be at home but still preferably on portable devices like my ipad and cellphone. I appreciate any advice given. Thanks

Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 15
The HD-598 (50)-Ohm should have a good all around sound and you can use them decently with an unamped portable device.
But using a headphone amplifier will bring out it's best.
The Beyer DT990 Pro 250-Ohm has to be used with a headphone amplifier (E11?), but it should offer more bass then the HD-598.
I would say to only get 600-Ohm version if your will to spend $200 or more for a nice tube amplifier.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd choose the DT990 over the HD598 in every single regard, except if you want forward mids. The DT990 is bass and treble headphone. A huge contrast to the relatively neutral to slightly light bass, mid rich, and slightly sparkly treble of the HD598.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 15
can u explain what forward mids are? if i like mainstream songs, orchestral pieces, movie and game scores, a little bit of jazz and classical, will these phones be ideal for me? And please tell me if i need an e7 or e11 for the 250ohms if i plan to use them mostly on my ipad and cellphone. Much appreciated:)

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Forward mids, means that vocals tend to be right up front, as if you were in the first row. laid back vocals, are as if you sit further back in a concert. That being said, the vocals on the DT990 are very detailed, just that the bass and treble are even more aggressive. Many V-shaped curved headphones (bass and treble) tend to make vocals sound muted or distant. That is not the case of the DT990s. They are slightly distant, but not to the point of it sounded muted.

The 250ohm will need some good power behind them. I'd go no less than the E11. The Fiio Alpen (aka E17) is due out soon and it's a DAC and AMP (like the E7, but better, and with an amp section similar to the E11). I'd personally hold off on that, as you can benefit on the DAC for your Ipad.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 15
I had Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm premium headphone few months, I was using SR71b Single ended output and let me tell you that SR71b does not boost the bass, there is absolutely no benefit using SR71b with single ended out.

If you are going to purchase 600ohm make sure to upgrade to balanced cables with SR71b balanced.

I personally think that upgrading DT900 balanced cables is waste of money, however if I were you I will stick to 32 or 250ohm ones.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy...

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #11 of 15
Forward mids are when the midrange of music, ie. the vocals are upfront in the sound, for instance it will sound like you are sitting on the singers lap with the vocals very close to your ear, whilst the DT990 has recessed mids which means the vocals sound further away from you as if you are in the back row at a concert. the DT990 has a V shaped signature which means it has an emphasis on bass, recessed mids which take a back seat and then an emphasis again on the highs. I hope that makes sense.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #12 of 15
Which is exactly why I say people spew hyperbole on here like it's going out of style. Back row? Lol. No. There are many levels of V -shaped headphones. The DT990 has one of the most detailed midranges out of the bass and treble emphasized cans. Christ.

A few rows back, at best.

However, with OPs taste, I'd probably go with the DT880s instead, since it's better balanced, without sacrificing too much excitement the way the HD598 does.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 15
Forward mids, means that vocals tend to be right up front, as if you were in the first row. laid back vocals, are as if you sit further back in a concert. That being said, the vocals on the DT990 are very detailed, just that the bass and treble are even more aggressive. Many V-shaped curved headphones (bass and treble) tend to make vocals sound muted or distant. That is not the case of the DT990s. They are slightly distant, but not to the point of it sounded muted.
The 250ohm will need some good power behind them. I'd go no less than the E11. The Fiio Alpen (aka E17) is due out soon and it's a DAC and AMP (like the E7, but better, and with an amp section similar to the E11). I'd personally hold off on that, as you can benefit on the DAC for your Ipad.

So the ipad dosent alr have a dac? or is it not good enough? Also i read that the e17 will have capabilities of the e9? I cant afford that. For now, its either an e7 or e11. So any advice?:confused:

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

So the ipad dosent alr have a dac? or is it not good enough? Also i read that the e17 will have capabilities of the e9? I cant afford that. For now, its either an e7 or e11. So any advice?
confused.gif

The iPad has a DAC, but usually external add-on devices come with a better DAC.
As the E11 comes with a better headphone amplifier and you be using 250-Ohm headphones, get the E11.
One of the Fiio L cables might help for use with any Apple device with a LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back