Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #571 of 706
  Does anyone know how to fix the adjustor? The left side of my DT 770 PRO 80's is too loose compared to the right side

well.. if I was you I look at the adjuster for cracks and see if the screws are loose... DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THEM.. as the plastic will break..   if they are cracked or fatigued you might be able to take them off and carefully glue them .. or just buy new ones.. the plastic might be worn also..

you can order them from beyer.. but they are expensive $30~ for the parts and I think beyer charges $15 flat shipping also..

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/spare-parts/slider-repair-kit.html

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #572 of 706
The flat rates are a bit annoying. Almost better get used one for parts

The ones musicians use when recording live are most likely 250/600 ohm variants right :p not the 80 ohm beasts. Right? AnYone know?

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #573 of 706
The flat rates are a bit annoying. Almost better get used one for parts

The ones musicians use when recording live are most likely 250/600 ohm variants right :p not the 80 ohm beasts. Right? AnYone know?

I have watched some documentary and seen 250 ohm version.

According to Beyer, 80 ohm versions are made for playing sound louder without struggling. They use different coil design which leads to much more distortion than 32 or 250 ohm versions. They also state that 250 and 32 ohms are best for revealing detail.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #574 of 706
I have watched some documentary and seen 250 ohm version.

According to Beyer, 80 ohm versions are made for playing sound louder without struggling. They use different coil design which leads to much more distortion than 32 or 250 ohm versions. They also state that 250 and 32 ohms are best for revealing detail.

I was pausing the videos on the BBC Studio sessions and they pretty much all have beyers. the 770 were indeed 250ohms. The rappers were all using like dt100s in original and black, though some could be dt150s.

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #575 of 706
here is my 2 cents in quest for some better audio

since i always used some gaming headphones, in the last half year i started to carve more into better audio world with reading what are the options and the benefits of the pure stereo audio and not 7.1 gaming virtual surround
i was using steelseries usb soundcard for more then 4 years now, so i was quite keen to it's sound, and since it was usb and outside of my laptop, sound was better then onboard in every way
latest gaming headset i used were hyperx cloud 1, and i bought them because they were / or still are, best sounding gaming headphones, hence they are rebrand of takstar pro80 with addon mic
i was quite satisfied with them, specially when i swapped stock pads with brainwavz hm5 ones, they become more comfortable and sounded better 
but knowing that there is something better in audio, and i didn't even used mic, i started to look around for some headphones and dac/amp combo for my first buy
recently music store in my town had a holiday discount on beyerdynamic gear, and i was hooked to get something, and after watching options and reviews, i settled on buying dt770 pro 80 ohm because i need closed back headphones
i snatched them on 30% off, and even then, here in croatia, they are quite expensive 
when i first started to use them on that usb gaming soundcard, the difference between clouds and dt770's was easily noticeable, and since they are my first decent pair of headphones, i was happy as a mofo, i sat through half of day, just listening and discovering new details in music i didn't even know it's there
and today i was lucky to find used fiio e10k near me available for purchase, it was half of the price of the new one, so i didn't think too much and bought it
i know that there are better dac / amp combos in the same price range (brand new prices ofc), but considering that here in croatia options are quite limited, and you need to buy that stuff from other countries makes it even more painfull
for the price i paid for my fiio, in mint condition, half year old, it was no brainer to get it
i was looking at schiit fulla 2, but that thing is 4,5 times more in price from the used fiio i got, more expensive then my headphones...

since i was looking for something nice to enter the audiophile world, that wont leave a giant mark in my pocket or wallet, i am more then pleased with my first audiophile purchases
maybe one day i will be able to get a schiit stack, which is my dream dac / amp combo, but for now, e10k and dt770 will do more then enough
cheers :)   

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #576 of 706
  here is my 2 cents in quest for some better audio

since i always used some gaming headphones, in the last half year i started to carve more into better audio world with reading what are the options and the benefits of the pure stereo audio and not 7.1 gaming virtual surround
i was using steelseries usb soundcard for more then 4 years now, so i was quite keen to it's sound, and since it was usb and outside of my laptop, sound was better then onboard in every way
latest gaming headset i used were hyperx cloud 1, and i bought them because they were / or still are, best sounding gaming headphones, hence they are rebrand of takstar pro80 with addon mic
i was quite satisfied with them, specially when i swapped stock pads with brainwavz hm5 ones, they become more comfortable and sounded better 
but knowing that there is something better in audio, and i didn't even used mic, i started to look around for some headphones and dac/amp combo for my first buy
recently music store in my town had a holiday discount on beyerdynamic gear, and i was hooked to get something, and after watching options and reviews, i settled on buying dt770 pro 80 ohm because i need closed back headphones
i snatched them on 30% off, and even then, here in croatia, they are quite expensive 
when i first started to use them on that usb gaming soundcard, the difference between clouds and dt770's was easily noticeable, and since they are my first decent pair of headphones, i was happy as a mofo, i sat through half of day, just listening and discovering new details in music i didn't even know it's there
and today i was lucky to find used fiio e10k near me available for purchase, it was half of the price of the new one, so i didn't think too much and bought it
i know that there are better dac / amp combos in the same price range (brand new prices ofc), but considering that here in croatia options are quite limited, and you need to buy that stuff from other countries makes it even more painfull
for the price i paid for my fiio, in mint condition, half year old, it was no brainer to get it
i was looking at schiit fulla 2, but that thing is 4,5 times more in price from the used fiio i got, more expensive then my headphones...

since i was looking for something nice to enter the audiophile world, that wont leave a giant mark in my pocket or wallet, i am more then pleased with my first audiophile purchases
maybe one day i will be able to get a schiit stack, which is my dream dac / amp combo, but for now, e10k and dt770 will do more then enough
cheers :)   

Hi There,

Good to hear you're enjoying the DT770, they are a great headphone, but I guess you already know that!. I've had mine for over two years now and use them almost every day.

Enjoy your phones!

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #577 of 706
Anyone know the comfort difference between the Limited Edition black pads 770vb vs regular velour (silver) 770v?

They dont seem as nice as 990v pads the black ones. Its comfy but.... not 990v comfy/pillowy goodness

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #578 of 706

Hi There,

Good to hear you're enjoying the DT770, they are a great headphone, but I guess you already know that!. I've had mine for over two years now and use them almost every day.

Enjoy your phones!

these will not gonna get sold in some time, since they are my first decent headphones, so in a way i am attached to them
and one of the reason why i bought them is the spare parts, which i can buy directly from beyerdynamic, and replace broken ones at home by myself, and that is a big plus in my book 

Anyone know the comfort difference between the Limited Edition black pads 770vb vs regular velour (silver) 770v?

They dont seem as nice as 990v pads the black ones. Its comfy but.... not 990v comfy/pillowy goodness

i would also want to know that, for future replacement of worn pads
although i quite like the stock pads because of the color, it adds a little bit of a contrast to them

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #579 of 706
Which would be better suited for my needs, this or the Sennheiser 598cs? I rarely listen to music, I usually play tv shows like Family Guy in the background while working and sometimes even when gaming. Which headphones could give me the best clarity to hear those kinds of audio?

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #580 of 706
  Which would be better suited for my needs, this or the Sennheiser 598cs? I rarely listen to music, I usually play tv shows like Family Guy in the background while working and sometimes even when gaming. Which headphones could give me the best clarity to hear those kinds of audio?

​I can't comment on the 598's but I've owned the DT770's for 2 years now and I love them, Although I mostly use them for music, I do also use them for movies and because of the bass these produce I've found them to be very good, being closed back they won't have the soundstage of an open back but they are good for a closed can.

Mar 2, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #581 of 706
being closed back they won't have the soundstage of an open back but they are good for a closed can.

Granted I've only used the 600 ohm DT770 Premium but the other DT770's are known for having good soundstage as well. Despite being closed, I've heard several open and semi-open headphones that had worse soundstage than the DT770. They're really quite good IMO for gaming & movies.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #582 of 706

Granted I've only used the 600 ohm DT770 Premium but the other DT770's are known for having good soundstage as well. Despite being closed, I've heard several open and semi-open headphones that had worse soundstage than the DT770. They're really quite good IMO for gaming & movies.

​Definitely, I also own the 990's and the Fidelio X2's, I've used all three for movies and I found the 770's the best, they're especially good with action/sci fi/blockbuster movies.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #583 of 706

​Definitely, I also own the 990's and the Fidelio X2's, I've used all three for movies and I found the 770's the best, they're especially good with action/sci fi/blockbuster movies.

Are they enough with no dac/amp? I'll only power them to my motherboard that has alc887. I'm actually stretching my budget ($150) to purchase these headphones ($170) so I really can't put myself into paying more.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #584 of 706
  Are they enough with no dac/amp? I'll only power them to my motherboard that has alc887. I'm actually stretching my budget ($150) to purchase these headphones ($170) so I really can't put myself into paying more.

Others can chime in as well but in my experience, no. All of the Beyer DT 770/880/990 struggle to get loud enough without an amp. Even the 32 ohm DT880, the lowest impedance of all of them, struggles. I bought a set for my brother who was plugging them directly into a relatively recent desktop build and he came back to me after a week or two saying he wasn't getting enough volume. I ended up getting him an O2 amp.

Mar 2, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #585 of 706

Others can chime in as well but in my experience, no. All of the Beyer DT 770/880/990 struggle to get loud enough without an amp. Even the 32 ohm DT880, the lowest impedance of all of them, struggles. I bought a set for my brother who was plugging them directly into a relatively recent desktop build and he came back to me after a week or two saying he wasn't getting enough volume. I ended up getting him an O2 amp.

I see, that's quite unfortunate. Would the fiio a1 amp ($30) suffice? It's the most I could stretch it for. This looks cool as well, Nobsound NS-08E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back