Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #286 of 706

No worries, Pedro. My irritation is not with you at all :wink: I just recently have made the experience with a proper test setup - that the most difference many people describe in lovely words are simply in your head...

Lots of people have very vocal opinions and they get repeated a lot, so they become "true" even if they are not. I am not saying these people lie, they really hear what they are saying, but it's subjective. So if you ask 3 people you get 4 opinions, LOL.

I believe a lot of the differences some people hear are just production variations or differently aged material, especially the ear pads. They can change the sound signature quite dramatically.

Anyhow, I am still sure you will enjoy the DT770, limited edition or not. It's a great headphone and very comfortable.

Cheers,
K

+1  Thats why people should just use all the reviews and opinion of audio equipment as a general reference to the type of sound that you can expect from that unit.  your still gonna have demo/audition many units to refine your search.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #287 of 706
No worries, Pedro. My irritation is not with you at all :wink: I just recently have made the experience with a proper test setup - that the most difference many people describe in lovely words are simply in your head...

Lots of people have very vocal opinions and they get repeated a lot, so they become "true" even if they are not. I am not saying these people lie, they really hear what they are saying, but it's subjective. So if you ask 3 people you get 4 opinions, LOL.

I believe a lot of the differences some people hear are just production variations or differently aged material, especially the ear pads. They can change the sound signature quite dramatically.

Anyhow, I am still sure you will enjoy the DT770, limited edition or not. It's a great headphone and very comfortable.

Cheers,
K

Cant wait to try one k.... :)
Thanks a lot for all your help... I was now taking a look at those graphs and the basically equal so there is no reason to doubt that they sound the same unless like you said there are some manufacturaing variations or other factors...

About the pads, do you recomend the velour ones or the pleather makes it sound better?

A question.... Momentum, dt770 and amperior.... Wich one do you love the most? Are the dts good all rounders? What do you listen (music) by the way? :)

Cheers....

Edit:

Is thiasanywhere near to what it sounds in real life?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pK7QbLNjno

If it is it seems pretty good.... Of this 3 I only tried the ath m50 (white box) a couple of months ago and the new x seems pretty much what i recall of them....weird treble...

1. Question.... Main differences between the 32 and 80ohm versions? Besides being cheaper and the most comonly used by everyone (the 250 one as well) wich advantades do the 80ohm dt770 has over the 32ohm one? Just curious....

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #288 of 706
Does anyone have any additional info on the sale at Guitar Center last week?  Man, for $125 or so, I'd go buy them right now. Was this a limited type of thing or special sale or.....?  Wonder if they'd match it now - I might have to call and see.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #291 of 706
Hi,

I have the DT770 LE 32 Ohms, the Amperior, Momentum over ears and the old HD25-1 (not II) and I can guarantee you will like the DT770, their sound signature is complimentary and similar to the ones you mentioned. 

It can be easily driven, the highs are detailed can be slight touch grainy at times but this is splitting hairs. They are amazing for many genres and generally are phantastic headphones. I bought them used from a fellow head-fier and I am glad I did.

The comfort level is amazing - they are one of the most comfortable headphones ever made in my opinion. You can wear them for hours without any issues. 

Go for them.

EDIT: They do however get better with a amp, not by much, but they do scale a bit, depends on your source. 

Koolpep.... Whay are the main sonical differences between the 32 and the 80 ohm version? From what i read it seems the 80 ohm has more and more controlled bass but at the same time as more recessesd mids and less refined treble.... The 32ohms from whath i read seem to have better mids and more refined highs but less and slightly loose bass (may this be result of the different pads?)...

How loose is the bass on your 32s? Looser or tighter than yhe ath m50? (My limit of loose bass is maybe the cals bass...,)

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #292 of 706
Well, I just got back from Guitar Center who matched the sale price of $129.  Real nice of them.

My first real headphones and I have say, I'm not sure what to make.  They are real boomy and I have to turn up the volume on my Samsung S4 all the way and they still aren't real loud.  I have to say at this point, I'm wondering if maybe my ears are shot, or maybe I was just expecting too much.  But coming from a pair of apple ear buds, I'm not sure what's up.  I'm hoping they need a break in period and I'm guessing its probably just me as everyone seems to love these.

I have a topping NX1 amp on the way and do plan to get a Schitt desktop amp and a new sound card for my desktop, so hopefully those'll help, too.  I'm glad I got them for such a good price as paying full price, I'd be wondering if I just made a big mistake.

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #293 of 706

Well, I just got back from Guitar Center who matched the sale price of $129.  Real nice of them. 
My first real headphones and I have say, I'm not sure what to make.  They are real boomy and I have to turn up the volume on my Samsung S4 all the way and they still aren't real loud.  I have to say at this point, I'm wondering if maybe my ears are shot, or maybe I was just expecting too much.  But coming from a pair of apple ear buds, I'm not sure what's up.  I'm hoping they need a break in period and I'm guessing its probably just me as everyone seems to love these.

I have a topping NX1 amp on the way and do plan to get a Schitt desktop amp and a new sound card for my desktop, so hopefully those'll help, too.  I'm glad I got them for such a good price as paying full price, I'd be wondering if I just made a big mistake.

It's entirely possible that the headphones aren't being powered adequately by the S4. Amping definitely tightens up the bass a lot and improves overall detail and clarity. I run my own DT 770 Pro 80s out of the Modi/Magni stack, and I find that the bass is far from boomy. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised what proper amplification can do for the sound.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #294 of 706

that s4 is not going to power it right.  that 80 ohm is gonna need a little extra power to make it shine.  if you have a a/v receiver plug in there and try it out.  the receiver will give it the extra umph to make it sound good.  I dont have a desktop amp but plan on getting one to see if theres a big difference from receiver. I'm running it from a s3/e18 setup and it sounds good also.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #296 of 706

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #299 of 706

Those look pads look fantastic.  I have been looking to replace my velours and want to try something different. Where can I buy them?

They look like HM5 pads, you can buy them on MP4nation.com. Keep in mind it will take like 2 weeks to get them in the mail. 

They are actually Aplha pads! Check out mrspeakers.com!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back