Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
May 22, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #256 of 706
I didn't expect that 80 ohm vs 64 ohm (ATH-Pro700 are nowadays 64 ohm, not 32 ohm as they use to be) would matter so much connected to an E07K that suppose to drive well till 150 ohms ! My guess is that ohms combined with SPL will give that low volume.

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #258 of 706
So I've been using Sennheisers HD 205 for a few years and yesterday they broke, thus I decided that it would be a good time to get some new cans. I've been doing a lot of research on plausible buys for me (price/quality ratio) and I am almost certain I want to get Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 Ohm. However, after reading through this post I'm having some doubts. Almost everyone here is talking about amps and etc so I was wondering if I would still be able to enjoy the quality of these cans with no amps for now (maybe I'll get something later)? These are strictly to use with laptop and I'm using Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 laptop (not sure what soundcard there is, but using Realtek high definition audio drivers) if that's an indicator or whatnot. Thank you for your help guys!

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #259 of 706
My dt 770 pro 80 sounds so much better with the e11 amp and e17/e09k. In fact, all my headphones benefit from a dac/amp. If you're using a laptop as your source then I would pass on the 80 pro. Go with a headphone thats easier to drive.

Jun 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #260 of 706
So I've been using Sennheisers HD 205 for a few years and yesterday they broke, thus I decided that it would be a good time to get some new cans. I've been doing a lot of research on plausible buys for me (price/quality ratio) and I am almost certain I want to get Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80 Ohm. However, after reading through this post I'm having some doubts. Almost everyone here is talking about amps and etc so I was wondering if I would still be able to enjoy the quality of these cans with no amps for now (maybe I'll get something later)? These are strictly to use with laptop and I'm using Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 laptop (not sure what soundcard there is, but using Realtek high definition audio drivers) if that's an indicator or whatnot. Thank you for your help guys!

DT770 80ohms can be drived easily even with an iphone. You dont need an amp with DT 770 80ohms but with one can make the sound better of course. But if youre asking if the DT 770 80ohms can be used in your laptop then yes.
I used mine on my iphone without an amp.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #262 of 706
Hmm, I was just at the music store listening to the DT-770/80 Pro, but to be perfectly honest they seemed pretty lacking. I didn't get a chance to listen extensively, but the sound definitely did not impress me. I played music from my HTC One (M7), so my initial thought was that the impedance was perhaps too high for my phone, but I also gave the AT M50X a listen (think 32 Ohm), and they too seemed lacking. The sound wasn't particularly detailed and certainly did not provide the "wow" experience I was expecting; that's the best I can do in terms of describing it.
The store didn't have any headphone amps that I could listen through to try and resolve the issue. 
Another thought that popped into my head was that perhaps the phone isn't all that great at playing back the music with any kind of fidelity (fyi they were FLAC files, bit rate shouldn't have been the bottleneck). 

Does anyone have any comments or similar experiences? I just ordered an Asus Xonar U7 (USB sound card; the headphones are primarily for gaming) so next time I go to the store I will bring my MacBook and that card for a hopefully better experience.

Perhaps I need to look at a higher price range to fulfill my needs, but that seems unlikely given the outstanding reviews I've read of the DT-770 on this forum and elsewhere.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #263 of 706
  Hmm, I was just at the music store listening to the DT-770/80 Pro, but to be perfectly honest they seemed pretty lacking. I didn't get a chance to listen extensively, but the sound definitely did not impress me. I played music from my HTC One (M7), so my initial thought was that the impedance was perhaps too high for my phone, but I also gave the AT M50X a listen (think 32 Ohm), and they too seemed lacking. The sound wasn't particularly detailed and certainly did not provide the "wow" experience I was expecting; that's the best I can do in terms of describing it.
The store didn't have any headphone amps that I could listen through to try and resolve the issue. 
Another thought that popped into my head was that perhaps the phone isn't all that great at playing back the music with any kind of fidelity (fyi they were FLAC files, bit rate shouldn't have been the bottleneck). 

Does anyone have any comments or similar experiences? I just ordered an Asus Xonar U7 (USB sound card; the headphones are primarily for gaming) so next time I go to the store I will bring my MacBook and that card for a hopefully better experience.

Perhaps I need to look at a higher price range to fulfill my needs, but that seems unlikely given the outstanding reviews I've read of the DT-770 on this forum and elsewhere.

It's hard to judge any headphone in a vacuum. Usually the most useful reviews are comparative in nature. To just put on a pair of headphones and expect to be 'wowed'... That's not so easily going to happen, unless maybe you're trying out HD800's or similar. These days, even the average ear buds you get with cheap mp3 players tend to be pretty damn decent in general, and improvements coming from expensive headphones tend to be incremental more than revolutionary, especially when you consider cost. So taking that into consideration, the best way to gain as much improvement as possible is through optimization; to buy a headphone that works well with what you like to listen to.

When it comes to the DT770, and as compared to the Sennheiser HD600 or HD598, I am not immediately impressed by them in terms of how they do vocals or instruments. But I think the bass on the DT770 is excellent and I consider it a superior headphone when it comes to trance, house or other EDM. Since that's what I listen to most of the time, they are what I'm using most of the time. They are very competent headphones otherwise, as they scale well with recording quality; good recordings show a very enjoyable sound signature and decent sound stage. I quite like the way piano, violin and cellos sound on the DT770, but in most cases where instruments are prominent you would definitely prefer the HD600. Likewise, if you're looking for an open headphone that does great with guitars, rock music, or blues, you're most likely going to find more enjoyment with a Sennheiser or maybe Audio Technica model in the DT770's price class. Otherwise, the DT770 is just a solid closed headphone in a reasonable price class, where quite honestly there just isn't that much competition. This alone makes the DT770 a very popular choice, not in the least because it's very comfortable.

It just depends. My advice is that I would always be looking for a headphone that really works with what you tend to listen to. Yeah the HD650's mids are to die for, but that's not going to be a priority when you want the kind of bass a closed headphone can give you.

Jun 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #264 of 706
where did you buy those caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the pads?  They were part of a trade.  They are also discontinued.

Jun 16, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #265 of 706

It's hard to judge any headphone in a vacuum. Usually the most useful reviews are comparative in nature. To just put on a pair of headphones and expect to be 'wowed'... That's not so easily going to happen, unless maybe you're trying out HD800's or similar. These days, even the average ear buds you get with cheap mp3 players tend to be pretty damn decent in general, and improvements coming from expensive headphones tend to be incremental more than revolutionary, especially when you consider cost. So taking that into consideration, the best way to gain as much improvement as possible is through optimization; to buy a headphone that works well with what you like to listen to.

When it comes to the DT770, and as compared to the Sennheiser HD600 or HD598, I am not immediately impressed by them in terms of how they do vocals or instruments. But I think the bass on the DT770 is excellent and I consider it a superior headphone when it comes to trance, house or other EDM. Since that's what I listen to most of the time, they are what I'm using most of the time. They are very competent headphones otherwise, as they scale well with recording quality; good recordings show a very enjoyable sound signature and decent sound stage. I quite like the way piano, violin and cellos sound on the DT770, but in most cases where instruments are prominent you would definitely prefer the HD600. Likewise, if you're looking for an open headphone that does great with guitars, rock music, or blues, you're most likely going to find more enjoyment with a Sennheiser or maybe Audio Technica model in the DT770's price class. Otherwise, the DT770 is just a solid closed headphone in a reasonable price class, where quite honestly there just isn't that much competition. This alone makes the DT770 a very popular choice, not in the least because it's very comfortable.

It just depends. My advice is that I would always be looking for a headphone that really works with what you tend to listen to. Yeah the HD650's mids are to die for, but that's not going to be a priority when you want the kind of bass a closed headphone can give you.

Thanks for your insight, you're making a lot of sense! My primary use would be gaming, so it's a little tricky auditioning various headphones in the music store, but I'll go there when I receive my sound card and listen through my MacBook. Very indecisive as to which headphones to go for, but almost certainly DT770 or DT990. I'm leaning more towards the 250 Ohm ones, primarily because of the coiled cable; how are people in this thread dealing with the 10 ft straight cable of the 80 Ohm variant? Seems such a bother having cables all over the desk.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #267 of 706
Haha, glad to know there's an easy fix. 
Sorry for going a little off-topic now, but there's something rather urgent I need an answer to: I found a guy selling a Fiio E09K QOGIR pretty cheap, so I would get that and pair it with the 250 Ohm DT-770, but I can't find anything about connecting the E09K to a PC sound card; does anyone have any experience with this? I would use the sound card as DAC and the E09K as the amp.

Jun 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #270 of 706
I recently impulse bought the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms Because guitar center had them for $120 and the return policy there is very laidback. I do notice that they are a bit bright and harsh in the treble for me and they don't seem to be that much of an upgrade from my MDR-V6 phones. People compared these with the 598s or 600s. Should I try and AMP/Dac with these 770s or do the 600s have a more neutral sound in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back