Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Dec 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #121 of 706
  Ha  - I wish I had your talents- yours look great, indeed. :)

Anyway, BTG Audio has written back and said they can only do a locking jack (as the opening for a non-locking will be too big) on the DT770 and that I can choose any cable I want to, and they will terminate it with a locking plug at the HP end and add a mini plug to the other end.

Now...What cable should I go for? Canare or Mogami? I want about 6 feet.
Any recommendations to a specific type of cable from the above 2 brands? I did read up, but it seems they're both popular brands...

Thanks again!

I choose Mogami every time. I like canare too, but the cable feels better on the mogami. I cant decipher between the sounds of the two, so aesthetics and feel are why i choose mogami.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #122 of 706
  I choose Mogami every time. I like canare too, but the cable feels better on the mogami. I cant decipher between the sounds of the two, so aesthetics and feel are why i choose mogami.

Thanks much!

any particular Mogami wire you can recommend? Also, any good online sources to buy?
I've seen this discussed here; what'are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #123 of 706
Thanks much!

any particular Mogami wire you can recommend? Also, any good online sources to buy?
I've seen this discussed here; what'are your thoughts on this one?
http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

I normally use Magazine w2893 and get it from redco. http://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893.html
I haven't used the type that you linked though, the 2893 will be easier to work with if you don't have a multimeter because all 4 wires are different colors. But either would be fine I think. There are a bunch of colors you can get the cable in from redco, I like that too. And it's cheap!

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #124 of 706
OK so I got my DT770 Pro 80 Ohms...super excited - more impressions later - unamped with laptop right now, and serious home amp (def sounds better with the home amp)

quick pic:

I made my decision on the cables : Mogami W2893 in Blue (yeah being radical) - Thanks for all the advice on that, and whatever Switchcraft plug Brian at BTG Audio wants to use.

I emailed Brian at BTG Audio about 3 days ago with my wire choice as he asked me to, but haven't heard back yet...But I read on Head Fi that he does take his time with replying to emails, so I guess I'll just wait and see and if he approves the Mogami, will send him the cans and the cable for a locking detachable cable mod. (he said he can only do locking, as the non locking plug is too small and won't fill the 'hole' created for the process...)

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #125 of 706
Im concerned about my cable being bent. Most of my headphones in the past have this issue where i need to rack the end of the jack back and forth to for it to work. Can you guys help me out? I want my cable to get a custom one too. Thanks
I really love this headphones!

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #126 of 706
It looks fine to me. That isn't even bent very mush at all. The rubber part that has cuts in it right before the plug is a strain relief system, it lets it bend but not too much to where it will hurt the cable. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #127 of 706
I've had the DT 770's for awhile now and my pads have ripped on the inside. Doesn't affect sound or anything.  The small plastic pieces with the L and R on it, the left one has cracked. I wonder if they can be fixed or not?  Since they have screws I'm guessing they can. I probably need some new pads too...getting a bit worn down.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #130 of 706
Im concerned about my cable being bent. Most of my headphones in the past have this issue where i need to rack the end of the jack back and forth to for it to work. Can you guys help me out? I want my cable to get a custom one too. Thanks
I really love this headphones!

You can probably get a better cable with sturdier strain relief if you're concerned.
BTG Audio (Brian) will make any type of cable you ask him to, looks like.

(I am currently in communication with him about  a detachable cable mod for my 770 pro 80 ohms. (which will hopefully also result in a better cable with better strain relief - I think he's going to use Switchcraft 3.5mm plug)

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #131 of 706
  You can probably get a better cable with sturdier strain relief if you're concerned.
BTG Audio (Brian) will make any type of cable you ask him to, looks like.

(I am currently in communication with him about  a detachable cable mod for my 770 pro 80 ohms. (which will hopefully also result in a better cable with better strain relief - I think he's going to use Switchcraft 3.5mm plug)

Thanks... I would love to see how it would turn out and how much it will cost you.

Jan 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #135 of 706
^Looks great ! and nice work!

Just a quick iphone pic during some testing using a small mini Onkyo home amp that usually does bedroom audio duty.
Even with this small amp, which is not a dedicated headphone amp by any means, it sounds a lot better than running straight from laptop...This might end up being my laptop listening situation after I get mine modded, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back