Beyerdynamic DT 990s Treble
Mar 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #31 of 39
I have the 770's and 990's. The treble is a little bright on both but more so on the 770's with me. The 990 is about perfect. I like a bright/sparkly sounding treble without being harsh though. The Seinn series is going to be like night and day IMO. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #32 of 39
I have the DT 770's as well. They aren't too bright IMO and do a great job on almost all types of music. Granted they aren't the most dynamic cans with the best sound stage but they are my go-to headphones for casual listening. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #33 of 39
It's really a matter of personal taste. I think it's more likely that you just don't like treble than that your pair is broken or defective -- different people can listen to the exact same pair of headphones and make vastly different conclusions about the sound. You might just be sensitive to treble. The DT990 are certainly bright. I noticed a bit of sibilance when I had a pair, but less than what I heard from the Sony MDR-V6 that I had before them. 

Using a tube amp or a better DAC will smooth out the treble a bit, but you are probably better off just trying some other headphones.  Sennheiser HD580/600/650 are reputed to have mild treble and strong bass, but I've never heard them personally. Generally, though, "crystal clear" and strong treble go hand-in-hand, especially at the price range you listed. That said, the DT990 have a very pronounced treble peak at around 10khz as others have mentioned. My AKG Q701s are also bright, but their treble is much less fatiguing to me because it doesn't have that peak. Using an EQ to tame that treble peak might help. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #34 of 39
I own a pair of 990's and I thought the treble was a little too bright especially when it came to orchestral music. But a simple EQ on 6k/10k frequency should do the job!

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #35 of 39
I tried most of the Beyer line recently and I would say the 990 deserves its reputation as being bright. I found the 880 had a better balance, but the mids were less detailed. Its like (for me personally) every Beyer model has a trade off, until you get to the T90.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #37 of 39
  Fire up a typical 10-band EQ and lower 8kHz slider until sibilance disappears (probably needs at least 5dB reduction). At least these only have a spike there around 8~10kHz so an EQ should come quite a bit handy for this headphone as fixing that spike it would become very balanced in the mids & highs.

I must have too good imagination it's like that treble spike looks like it's showing you the finger haha.

thanks for this graph! I'm currently using these headphones with ESI prodigy xfi sound card which has a terribly small amount of steps meaning that my EQ customisation would be very broad and too much treble will be brought down. Do you know of a way/software that enables me to modify EQ without being incompatible with current sound card?

Thanks

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #38 of 39
I kinda (not really) regret giving our son the 770-80s.

Though I enjoy the sound of the 990-32... afterwards my ear-drums don't and they hurt.

If only Tidal had Onkyo's EQ.... yeah, fine.. EQ, for many, is "cheating."

Apr 19, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #39 of 39
Hi all, need some help from any audiophile guru.

I'm currently using the FIIO E10K with Beyer DT990s.

The line out goes to my speakers and headhphone out to my DT990s.

I'm planning to get the Schiit Magni/Vali and more interested in the Vali due to the fact that it is a hybrid tube amp and might provide a more warmer sound.

If I do get the Vali, I plan to connect it through the line out of my FIIO E10K via 3.5mm to RCA cable. My only concern is the ringing sound that occurs with tube amps when you turn them on for the first few minutes. 

-Would the ringing sound affect my speakers as well?
-Should I just connect my speakers through the line out from my DAC as per usual instead of RCA from the Vali to avoid the ringing?

Kindly advise as I've heard it would be better to output the amp (Vali) through line out as opposed to headphone out. If it makes no difference, I might as well use the headphone out to the Vali and use the line out from my DAC to my speakers to avoid the ringing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back