Beyerdynamic DT 990s Treble
Feb 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #16 of 39
Or a Solid State that rolls off the treble. The NFB-12 will suck most sibilance out of any headphone.

Quote:
DT990 is one of those headphones that you either hate or love. You have to go in with the understanding that there is significant treble emphasis.
I'd pair them up with a tube amp that rolls off treble considerably.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 39
I would assume the NFB 5 with MOON Op-amp would probably do the same. Mine comes soon, so I'll see what it does to treble with the ACSS and with MOON.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 39
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm do go well with Blu-ray movies.
Just watched some Clash of the Titans Blu-ray,

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm do go well with Blu-ray movies.
Just watched some Clash of the Titans Blu-ray,

They really do go well with blu ray movies. I too have the DT990 Pro version, they have a cinema speaker-esque sound to them for movies and on blu ray the clarity in their HD mode is astonishing imo. HD mode on the blu ray that is, not the headphone!

To the OP, I'm assuming that you have the non-pro version of the DT990 ? I hear that the treble on those is spikier than the Pro version and that the bass is 'lessened'. I could very well be wrong, but from what I gather the Pro version has more bass and less treble but is of a lesser quality with them compared to the premium version which costs double the money.

Generally I agree with joelpearce, you have to know what you're getting yourself into with the DT990 and give yourself time to adjust. Personally I wasn't 100 percent sure at first myself, but I gave mine time and I  got used to it. Now I can't live without them. Treble, clarity, bass and wide soundstage work so well for gaming and movies. It gets a little off putting at times for music - but it's still cool to hear exactly what the drummer is doing on  the hi-hats and to hear little nuances in music that you might not have had the clarity to hear before. Same for dialogue in movies too.

But 99% of the time this headphone is awesome for me. And for you I guess it's if you like your bass to be there and if you can get used to the peaky highs which aid clarity.

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
So in case I do want to turn these back in and get some other ones which headphones in the $300 or less range are very forward sounding with great bass and crystal clear sound? and not as bright. If these are any indication I guess I don't like "Bright" headphones. Maybe more warm sounding.

Sennheiser 600 are currently about $320 on Amazon. Fits the bill pretty well.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #23 of 39
Thanks for all your replies they're helping me out. I tried them out with Dead Space 2 and wow they are good with that game. I had to stop playing (lol im a wimp) Soundstage really is excellent with the cans. I imagine they will be great for movies as well, though I haven't tried that out yet.

Also I've been looking around and was wondering about those Sennheiser 600s mentioned above, or maybe the Dennon D2000. I'm now thinking I'll keep the 990s (pro version btw) and get one of these pair later.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #24 of 39
I have the premium 250 ohms, and I thought the highs was a little bit (too) much in the beginning but after a while I noticed I never thought about it anymore. The ears adjusted to the sound... and I also believe burn in had something to do with it. They work superbly with tubes. I have an X-Can V3... only a hybrid I know... but it's a great match! I agree with what some others said before, the DT-990  is a special breed... love it or hate it. I LOVE them and they will stay forever!

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 39
Fire up a typical 10-band EQ and lower 8kHz slider until sibilance disappears (probably needs at least 5dB reduction). At least these only have a spike there around 8~10kHz so an EQ should come quite a bit handy for this headphone as fixing that spike it would become very balanced in the mids & highs.

I must have too good imagination it's like that treble spike looks like it's showing you the finger haha.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 39
Wizard, when are you getting your 990 Pros? I'm interested in what you think of them.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
Wizard, when are you getting your 990 Pros? I'm interested in what you think of them.

Not sure, I'm so happy with M-Audio Q40 and I have a hard time believing the DT 990 Pro would satisfy me more, they sound beautiful with any genre, in fact I tend to listen to genres I normally wouldn't with these as the recording itself may sound so good haha. Maybe if I could get these V-Moda LP2 sold/exchanged for DT990 Pro but it seems to get hard to get these sold, been trying since like Xmas here in my country.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 39
I had the dt990's for a couple of weeks and just could not get into them.  I also found the treble to be sibilant far too often when paired with the e7/e9 combo.  I can put up with this if the headphones are clear and bright, but I always thought these sounded veiled and muffled.  I have since purchased the Grado 325is and although they can also be very harsh, I can accept it for how clear and bright they sound.  That being said, the 990's are probably great for gaming or movies, and were very comfortable.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #30 of 39
RPG, yeah, I wouldn't say they are the bassiest cans, but for open cans, absolutely. Not sure it'd be enough for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back