Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Dec 10, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #50 of 679
Well the AEs are home. A couple of quick pictures:

These are my first Beyers so I can't compare with other models, but what I am hearing out of the box I like. They are quite neutral and fun. Only a tad of too much energy (harshness) in the high-mids region is bothering me... and maybe a slight boominess in the bass. Hopefully burn-in will take care of them (a least partially).

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #51 of 679
Quote:
Well the AEs are home. A couple of quick pictures:

These are my first Beyers so I can't compare with other models, but what I am hearing out of the box I like. They are quite neutral and fun. Only a tad of too much energy (harshness) in the high-mids region is bothering me... and maybe a slight boominess in the bass. Hopefully burn-in will take care of them (a least partially).

As a Beyer veteran I can assure you Beyer need burn-in. Yes the harshness will be tamed.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #52 of 679
Quote:
As a Beyer veteran I can assure you Beyer need burn-in. Yes the harshness will be tamed.

Thx for the heads-up. Burn-in in progress while enjoying the Beyers.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #54 of 679
COPY OF MY POST FROM THE K167 DISCUSSION

Ok, so i had a little time on my hands today and went out to do this:

..and this

and this.

Then i ended up doing this:

which lead to this:

then eventually things spiralled out of control:p

SOme results were to be expected:

Some not so expected!

Just to clarify i own the K167, and all the samples used im told have around 100 hours or more on them. Except for one, but ill get to that last.

I realise these are not all in the price range of k167, but a couple are relatively close (in Australia), others are topics of curiosity. 

I carried out extensive testing using the same source (iphone), same amp/DAC (e17), and same settings for 1-2 reference songs for each genre, first comparing each to the k167. Then grouping them and comparing them, then tweeking the eq to make each phone sound best to me and noting the changes. And finally eliminating the ones that werent for me and noting why.

THey didnt have a sample of the limited edition (4000 made) DT770 32 OHM, so i had to buy that in order to add it to the tests. Im glad i did, these, not even burnt in, made the 250OHM DT770 obsolete in my opinion. MUCH better high end (not rolled off or overpowered by bass like the 250), very analytical like and clear clean but warm very present mids (which i LOVE), and still that big bass, but not at all boomy or colouring. Rock tracks still sounded like rock tracks, etc. They stood up to the k167, and in my opinion dominated them pretty hard. I must say though i own BOTH, and am happy i do. 

In essence i have too much to write in a post, with all the hours of fun i had today i would end up writing a 4 page post! SO i think its best that if anyone wants to know my thoughts comparing ANY of the above to ANY of the above (or to the 167 which was the initial exercise), please feel free to ask in any detail you like and ill do my best to help:D

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #55 of 679
Can a e11 power the 250ohm enough?

Also, can the LE pleather pads be replaced by the velour? Sadly, I can't get exactly what I want. I want a coiled cable, and velour pads and easily driven.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #56 of 679
I just ordered velure pads, cable can be modded. These are very much more forward and detailed than any other 770. I would buy the LE and make the cheap cosmetic changes, rather than buying a less detailed and over boomy higher powered (which is not that big of a deal as most amps power them) version for the sale of velure pads and a curly cord.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #58 of 679
I should have a pair of these by week's end.  Looking forward to hearing my first pair of Beyers.  The fact they (reportedly) sound little to nothing like the 'typical' Beyers is intriguing to me.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #59 of 679
I wouldn't say little to nothing. In fact I would say similar to 770 pro only with tighter bass, and more forward mids and highs. Separation is also better, and bass is still as present but won't veil the rest.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #60 of 679
These look intriguing. I loved the regular DT770/80's sound but ran into some comfort issues: the headband is under padded and hurts my head after ~1.5 hour, and I wear glasses so the velour ear pads make weird frictional noise when rubbed against the glasses frame, kind of a uneasy feeling (the same reason I parted ways with the HD598 and Q701, I can't deal with velour ear pads in general). With the LTD one the ear pads are obviously no longer velour, but I'd love if someone who owns both the regular and limited edition can give me some input about the LTD's headband, whether it is the same or different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back