Beyerdynamic DT 48 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 250
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 73

DT48 fits all your criteria minus the bass roll off..
Quote:
Oh my... I'd get the HP-2 but they are open cans. I need closed cans. Hmm, all I want is a flat frequency response, fantastic sound staging, extremely low sibilance (or even non-existent), no roll off, and really good isolation. Anyone have any other suggestions?
beyersmile.png

Yes... I am difficult to please hahaha. I appreciate you guys helping me out by the way. I want everyone to know that I value my place here! I LOVE this forum.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #32 of 73

Quote:
70 still seems a bit high.. I'm no engineer though.. I just know the norm from what I gathered is between 50-60..

I mean that the roll off/decrease starts at 70...not that there's a big decrease already at 70, if you know what I mean. It's a slope that starts at 70 and the cut gets progressively steeper the lower you go. I still think it's possibly an amp issue.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #33 of 73
My DT48E doesn't have THAT much roll-off.  I mean, my DT990/600 and DT150 dive deeper, but the roll-off at the bottom of the DT48e is about on par with the other headphones I have.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #34 of 73

The DT250 really is a great pair of headphones and their biggest strength in my opinion is the ability to sort of gloss over the imperfections in the recording. I was sort of sick and tired of hearing all the little mistakes with the HD650 and thought I'd try a less revealing headphone and it was the best decision I've made for some time. They have quickly become pretty much my favourite headphone to use. The bass is very good. Not too bloated, it definitely doesn't add any but if the track has exaggerated bass, it gives you some and I love it. I had so much music that simply sounded terrible with the HD650s that I can now comfortably listen too. I have always found myself sensitive to high frequencies and even find the HD650 a bit bright at times so the rolled off highs really does suite me but I'm not sure how that would suit you. For me at least the DT250's really are quite brilliant.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #36 of 73

Quote:
does dt48 have a flat frequency response? really?

i tried it once hooked up to graham slee novo, it really lacks the bass. sounds like the low bass is cut off to me..

Which model? Do you remember? I posted a test track previously to test the low bass. Here it is again if anyone wants to test them. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7078299/Little%20Easy%2006-16-10%20combo%20wNewEQ%204%20akg%20k701.mp3

5 seconds into the tune there are two kick drum hits. You should hear deep bass, not just mid bass. No matter how loud I listen with my set up (computer->emu 0404->LD mkV) I'm only getting mid bass....with only a tiny bit lower down  The dt250 definitely goes deeper.

@joelpearce: did you try that test with yours?

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 73

Sounds like the perfect alternative.
Quote:

The DT250 really is a great pair of headphones and their biggest strength in my opinion is the ability to sort of gloss over the imperfections in the recording. I was sort of sick and tired of hearing all the little mistakes with the HD650 and thought I'd try a less revealing headphone and it was the best decision I've made for some time. They have quickly become pretty much my favourite headphone to use. The bass is very good. Not too bloated, it definitely doesn't add any but if the track has exaggerated bass, it gives you some and I love it. I had so much music that simply sounded terrible with the HD650s that I can now comfortably listen too. I have always found myself sensitive to high frequencies and even find the HD650 a bit bright at times so the rolled off highs really does suite me but I'm not sure how that would suit you. For me at least the DT250's really are quite brilliant.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #39 of 73
Yeah, it sounded fine to me.  Using SineGen, I find mine are strong down to about 50hz, then they drop off pretty fast, and there isn't much left by about 35hz

In comparison, my Fostex T50RP start to drop at the same time, but are clearly audible to about 25hz.

In practice, though, I'm not sure this makes a huge difference.  Very little music has much energy down that low.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #40 of 73

Quote:
In measurement terms yes.. In real life hearing test.. It really depends on your opinion.. How did everything else sound? genre was used? Recording?

i listened to orchestra and instrumental music*couldn't remember the artist though..

recording was good i guess, because i heard everything nearly perfect accept for the bass. treble and mid was one of the most realistic sound among headphones i've ever tried, and i'm wondering now, how heavy to drive this headphone(say the 200 ohm version), compared to dt880/600?

really, tdt48e astonished me at that time. i can't remember the series though, it was a demo unit from jaben when we were helding a national gathering in my country
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #41 of 73
Yeah, I still feel the DT48 would be almost as popular as the HP1/2 if they were open & had plentiful bass.. The DT880/600 might be better for you.. They are also neutral, just not as flat or balanced.. But have much better bass impact & bass you can feel.. Bass is also quality..

Quote:
i listened to orchestra and instrumental music*couldn't remember the artist though..

recording was good i guess, because i heard everything nearly perfect accept for the bass. treble and mid was one of the most realistic sound among headphones i've ever tried, and i'm wondering now, how heavy to drive this headphone(say the 200 ohm version), compared to dt880/600?

really, tdt48e astonished me at that time. i can't remember the series though, it was a demo unit from jaben when we were helding a national gathering in my country
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 73

Quote:

Hmm, see I want a revealing headphone because I listen to a lot of really technical metal that has all kinds of subtleties that I cannot hear on average run-of-the-mill sound equipment. The DT48 E sounds great but the bass roll off just totally puts me off (I am a Meshuggah fan  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrjE4QRsys). The DT 250 doesn't sound fitting for me because of the rolled off highs. I am starting to think I need to look elsewhere. Something else transparent, neutral, no roll offs, etc. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #43 of 73
Have you considered the DT150?  It has bass that is somewhat emphasized, but the rest of the spectrum is quite balanced and the treble isn't rolled off.

If you don't mind a cold, analytical headphone, the Ultrasone Pro 750 (kees modded) is also surprisingly balanced.

That track sounds terrible on my DT48E.  

I get deep enough bass, but clarity throughout the spectrum with my Pro 750.  It's very analytical, though, so not for everyone.

The DT150 sounds just about perfect.  Nails the bass, clear through the rest of the spectrum, and nice and bright at the high end.  

Fostex T50RP are definitely rolled off at the high end, but are a bit warmer and kill the harshness a bit.

Of the cans I have right here, though, it's the DBI Pro 700 that win out.  Kicking bass, sharp clarity... I'd like these headphones even more if I listened to music like this.

As it stands, I have to admit that I can't really imagine listening to that stuff for fun.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #45 of 73

The DT48 id very transparent, flat, & 'neutral.' The roll off was a design purpose for what they were made for... Monitoring music, which is their 2ndary function.. 

Quote:
Hmm, see I want a revealing headphone because I listen to a lot of really technical metal that has all kinds of subtleties that I cannot hear on average run-of-the-mill sound equipment. The DT48 E sounds great but the bass roll off just totally puts me off (I am a Meshuggah fan  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkrjE4QRsys). The DT 250 doesn't sound fitting for me because of the rolled off highs. I am starting to think I need to look elsewhere. Something else transparent, neutral, no roll offs, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back