Beyerdynamic DT 48 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 250
Aug 15, 2010 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I checked out the Beyerdynamic website and here were the descriptions for each set of cans: 

DT 250:
▲ Closed headphone
▲ Good ambient noise attenuation
▲ Lightweight, low profile design
▲ Single-sided, detachable cable
▲ NEW - Limiter (Optional)
▲ Powerful neodymium headphone system for excellent reproduction accuracy
▲ Balanced sound impression
▲ Circumaural ear pads, advanced ear cushion system
▲ Adjustable, soft padded headband
▲ Service-friendly construction due to exchangeablitity of all parts
▲ Single-ear-version: DT 252

and for the DT 48:
▲ Dynamic monitoring headphone for all sound recordings
▲ Meets the standards set by Nagra recorders, DAT and MD portable recorders
▲ High degree of efficiency
▲ Flat accurate frequency response
▲ Rugged construction
▲ Nickel-plated spring steel, adjustable headband
▲ Excellent comfort for long-term wearing
▲ Single-sided cable

It says "powerful neodymium headphone system for excellent reproduction accuracy" for the DT 250 and it says "flat accurate frequency response" for the DT 48. I made a thread a bit ago (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506000/headphones-flat-fr-low-sibilance-fidelity/45#post_6842422). Someone reccomended the DT 250 for a flat frequency response and sonic fidelity. But, the description doesn't say that on the beyerdynamic website about the DT 250's. Essentially, what I am getting at is... are they similar in the reproduction of sound? I want headphones that are accurate and I am really considering the DT 48s and DT 250s. To be honest, I listen to a lot of metal and industrial but I want sonic fidelity. Anyways, if someone could fill me in on their opinion of the DT 48 vs. the DT 250 I'd really appreciate it. 

PS: there is no bass impact apparently with the DT 48? Do producers record albums with the idea that cans that don't have a flat frequency response will be used to listen to the music? If that is the case then the DT 48 and/or DT 250 would not provide me with sonic fidelity. Anyways, that was an issue and debate raised in the thread provided above but I think it is worth discussing in more detail!:) I appreciate your time and thank you very much!:):)

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 73
The DT48 is arguablly the flattest dynamic headphone in production today.. & IMO was Beyers Flagship headphone till the T1 came along.. & I'm still not convinced the T1's are the better headphones.. Would need to A/B them. They use the same ring technology as the DT48, & the drivers are very similar minus the material being used.. It says a lot that they don't use the DT880 as the T1 inspiration but the 1937 DT48..:) That being said, for your needs I'd recommend the the 250.. They would suit your needs better..

As a I said many times.. The bass on the DT48 PURELY DEPENDS ON HOW THE MUSIC WAS RECORDED/ENGINEERED..& the GENRE.. No boost or emphasis.. This leads many to believe the DT48 are not flat or neutral.. I disagree.. If the bass changes dramatically with different songs that is neutrality & transparency in action.. Yes, the DT48 does have bass impact, but you won't get it with ever recording like the 250's.

I feel the DT48 are Beyers pinnacle in the realm of studio headphones, & IMO the pro line, which I owned the top 3 DT770/DT880/DT990...Beyers brags about the DT48 to no end.. To the point of pure arrogance.. &, yes, I have the quotes to back them up..:)

But for your needs, the DT48 are not for you.. The 250's will serve you much better..

Quote:
Okay, I checked out the Beyerdynamic website and here were the descriptions for each set of cans: 

DT 250:
▲ Closed headphone
▲ Lightweight, low profile design
▲ Single-sided, detachable cable
▲ NEW - Limiter (Optional)
▲ Powerful neodymium headphone system for excellent reproduction accuracy
▲ Balanced sound impression
▲ Circumaural ear pads, advanced ear cushion system
▲ Adjustable, soft padded headband
▲ Service-friendly construction due to exchangeablitity of all parts
▲ Single-ear-version: DT 252

and for the DT 48:
▲ Dynamic monitoring headphone for all sound recordings
▲ Meets the standards set by Nagra recorders, DAT and MD portable recorders
▲ High degree of efficiency
▲ Flat accurate frequency response
▲ Rugged construction
▲ Nickel-plated spring steel, adjustable headband
▲ Excellent comfort for long-term wearing
▲ Single-sided cable

It says "powerful neodymium headphone system for excellent reproduction accuracy" for the DT 250 and it says "flat accurate frequency response" for the DT 48. I made a thread a bit ago (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506000/headphones-flat-fr-low-sibilance-fidelity/45#post_6842422). Someone reccomended the DT 250 for a flat frequency response and sonic fidelity. But, the description doesn't say that on the beyerdynamic website about the DT 250's. Essentially, what I am getting at is... are they similar in the reproduction of sound? I want headphones that are accurate and I am really considering the DT 48s and DT 250s. To be honest, I listen to a lot of metal and industrial but I want sonic fidelity. Anyways, if someone could fill me in on their opinion of the DT 48 vs. the DT 250 I'd really appreciate it. 

PS: there is no bass impact apparently with the DT 48? Do producers record albums with the idea that cans that don't have a flat frequency response will be used to listen to the music? If that is the case then the DT 48 and/or DT 250 would not provide me with sonic fidelity. Anyways, that was an issue and debate raised in the thread provided above but I think it is worth discussing in more detail!:) I appreciate your time and thank you very much!:):)

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 73
I agree with KBI's recommendation. I like both, but you will get more low end with the dt250. I prefer the midrange on the dt48, but you may struggle with the lower bass with them depending upon your set up. Both are considered very accurate/flat by a lot of reviewers...the dt48 even more so, but you really can't go wrong with the dt250 for most genres. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 73

Yes, for this gentleman's preference, the 250 would be the better choice.. & I'd recommend them over the DT48..
Quote:
I agree with KBI's recommendation. I like both, but you will get more low end with the dt250. I prefer the midrange on the dt48, but you may struggle with the lower bass with them depending upon your set up. Both are considered very accurate/flat by a lot of reviewers...the dt48 even more so, but you really can't go wrong with the dt250 for most genres. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 73
Why would the DT 250 be better for my needs? I want sonic fidelity. It sounds as though the DT 250 has an emphasized low end. That doesn't sound like sonic fidelity to me. One more question: I listen to a lot of Meshuggah. They play with down tuned eight string guitars. Is there any possibility that the DT 48s or 250s could not reproduce such low frequencies?

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #6 of 73
It's only emphasized in comparison to the dt48. Compared to the RP21, which some consider neutral, it's a bit bass light! The problem is there is no agreement as to what is neutral. If you stick around here a while you'll find out the truth of that statement soon enough! Just ask a cross section of head-fi'ers if the k702 bass is neutral and watch the fun begin.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 73
See, now I am frustrated!
basshead.gif
 You say it's only emphasized in comparison to the DT48. Is the DT48 not neutral in a way that it is actually bass light? Are the lower end frequencies too light? I am speaking completely objectively here. Taste put aside, why can't headphones just be measured and we have an objective reading as to whether they are completely flat or not. Oh, Head-Fi! You will be the end of me!
blink.gif

Okay, so I pose you this question... which is more flat? The DT 48 or the DT 250?

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 73
The DT48 is, without a question, more flat.

The new version 25 ohm DT48E has enough bass for me for most music, but there are definitely times that I reach for one of my bassier pairs to feel that oomph that they will never deliver fully.

The big thing to be aware of when you are talking about the DT48 is that they are ruthlessly detailed and revealing.  Poorly recorded, mixed and compressed music will sound terrible on them.  Sound files that are poorly encoded or fed from a lousy source will sound terrible.  The DT250 will give you a relatively balanced sound while still smoothing over some of those issues.

I'm definitely not discouraging you from buying either pair, as I think they are both excellent headphones, and I consider the DT48 to be the best sounding pair of headphones I own.  As long as you fully understand what you're getting into and committing to with them, I'd say go for it.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 73
Mainly based on bass.. & the music you listen to. The 250 will do them more justice.. The DT48 are the better headphone with better fidelity, but you also mentioned bass.. I don't want you to go through the frustration that one member is going through in regards to getting more bass in the low end..

Quote:
Why would the DT 250 be better for my needs? I want sonic fidelity. It sounds as though the DT 250 has an emphasized low end. That doesn't sound like sonic fidelity to me. One more question: I listen to a lot of Meshuggah. They play with down tuned eight string guitars. Is there any possibility that the DT 48s or 250s could not reproduce such low frequencies?

I'd suggest the newer models in your case.. More forgiving, better bass response, & sound less like a headphone then the vintage models.. I still think the 250 would suit your needs better for your type of music.. I like metal, & prefer a nice amount of kick & impact on the kick drum & like feeling the bass guitar, which the DT48 lacks to some extent, even though it's full sounding, & you can easily tell the diference between drum sets, which is amazing IMO.. I knew a drummer personally, who played at his house, & they sound very similiar, although not 100%.. Some might be suprised that I would recommend another headphone over the DT48, but IMO, I feel the 250 would suit you better.. I'm not on Beyers pay roll, & am honest.. Maybe you can buy both from a store with a good return policy..
Quote:
Hmm, which DT 48 would you suggest, Joel? Personally, I am thinking about going for the DT 48. I really want sonic fidelity. Anything else just seems impure and almost pointless to me.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 73
People considering the DT48 should ask themselves this: 

1. Would you rather have a cable going straight to your brain feeding you the recording of the live event?

2. Or would you rather be in a perfect concert hall with the band playing in front of you? 

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #12 of 73
Funny, how we give warning to suspecting buyres..lol Sometimes I feel like I'm actually telling people not to buy the DT48.. Cause they really hit on sensories you are not accustomed too.. & I still feel they are the only headphone that breaks YOU IN.... If the DT48 could talk they would say.. No. No. No. This is how it sounds.. Just listen. Forget everything you thought you knew about listen to music..

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 73

Quote:
Mainly based on bass.. & the music you listen to. The 250 will do them more justice.. The DT48 are the better headphone with better fidelity, but you also mentioned bass.. I don't want you to go through the frustration that one member is going through in regards to getting more bass in the low end..

I'd suggest the newer models in your case.. More forgiving, better bass response, & sound less like a headphone then the vintage models.. I still think the 250 would suit your needs better for your type of music.. I like metal, & prefer a nice amount of kick & impact on the kick drum & like feeling the bass guitar, which the DT48 lacks to some extent, even though it's full sounding, & you can easily tell the diference between drum sets, which is amazing IMO.. I knew a drummer personally, who played at his house, & they sound very similiar, although not 100%.. Some might be suprised that I would recommend another headphone over the DT48, but IMO, I feel the 250 would suit you better.. I'm not on Beyers pay roll, & am honest.. Maybe you can buy both from a store with a good return policy..

You sure you aren't on Beyer's payroll? 
beyersmile.png
 I'm just kiddin'. Hmm, of course if the DT 48 is flat I will hear the bass and the full extension that exists in the recording. But, if I have the DT 250 then I will have added bass extension that is added by the headphone itself. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way. It seems almost ridiculous that there are headphones that do this. In an ideal world I would want all headphones to be flat and exactly what was recorded and intended to be heard is being reproduced. No tinkering, nothin'. Just straight up sonic fidelity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back