Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,246 of 3,701
  Was that decision made after listening to both? or just to be on the safe side? :)

I've been listening to both.
I have had big expectations to DT1770. These sound nice, but a bit less refined and less spacious to T1 V2. Also the frequency response is not as close to linear as in T1.
If the DT1770 costs let say 3/4 of their price it could be a strong argument for me. But I did get good Christmas offer for T1...

And also the look and finish of T1 is much better. I like DT1770 design, but details at closer look are not that good for me (I'm a designer so take my opinion with grain of salt, as I have an obsession about look of the things:) ) TH600 compared to DT1770 in look are much better made for example.

DT1770 are very good, are closed which may be an important factor. But the price gap is not that big vs T1, as the quality progression (sound/finish). 

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,247 of 3,701

I have had big expectations to DT1770. These sound nice, but a bit less refined and less spacious to T1 V2. Also the frequency response is not as close to linear as in T1.
If the DT1770 costs let say 3/4 of their price it could be a strong argument for me. But I did get good Christmas offer for T1...

And also the look and finish of T1 is much better. I like DT1770 design, but details at closer look are not that good for me (I'm a designer so take my opinion with grain of salt, as I have an obsession about look of the things:) ) TH600 compared to DT1770 in look are much better made for example.

DT1770 are very good, are closed which may be an important factor. But the price gap is not that big vs T1, as the quality progression (sound/finish). 

Unless you got it for $375-$450 like many did a few weeks back!

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,249 of 3,701
My DT1770 do not crackle at all. There is only a noise created by my metal glasses frame when the metal rubs against the ear pad. This is with both sort of pads tha come with the headphone. A lot of other cans that I have or has share this behavior even the Sennheiser HD650. If you wear glasses you have at least a chance to rule that root cause out. Btw this can be cured by applying a certain length of shrink tube on the contact surface of the glasses frame.

You are lucky that your DT-1770 is free from crackle. I don't wear glasses when I walk or I'm in public transport so glasses are not an issue. I really hope the next pair will be silent as a gravestone as any other Beyers I've had didn't have such issues. I will see it tomorrow (Amazon Prime is a very speedy service).

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,250 of 3,701
  So I received my DT 1770s in the mail today and after a few minutes I can say color me impressed so far! I purchased the Sennheiser HD 630vb alongside it to see which one I'd like more and I can say for me (not everyone) the DT 1770 is a perfect match. I'm extremely happy that the typical Beyer harshness doesn't apply to these. 

How is the bass of the Senn HD630VB compare to the DT1770? I know the HD630VB is around $500 ish also in that price range.
Is the HD630VB good?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,251 of 3,701
How is the bass of the Senn HD630VB compare to the DT1770? I know the HD630VB is around $500 ish also in that price range.
Is the HD630VB good?

From what I remember the bass was a little less defined compared to the DT1770. It still was prominent and had good impact, to me it didn't feel like it was controlled very well and didn't extend very deep. Don't get me wrong from what I recall they sounded pretty good, IMO they just didn't hold up up to the Beyers in performance. But these are just my opinions. I think if isolation, portability and being able to adjust the bass to your liking (yes the variable bass really does work!) I would say the 630vb is a good choice. Especially if you are coming from more entry level headphones. If you don't need portability and are looking for a headphone with killer bass impact and extension, plus decent mids and great highs, the DT1770 is a great headphone. *Just to reiterate, I didn't actually own them very long so these are impressions from memory.*

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,252 of 3,701

I do understand a good fetish for details, mine is quite content with the DT1770 finish :wink: Plus I always disliked the hard edges on the TH600 gimbals...

Is the HD630VB good?

I've only heard the HD630VB at High End in Munich, but disliked it for its missing higher treble, problems in upper mid and bloated bass. My memory may overstate that though, so take that with an appropriate amount of salt... From sound to design I prefer the DT1770 by a wide margin.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,253 of 3,701
I received a new pair of DT-1770. Is seems that fortunately it's free from crackle. However I find it strange that the new headphones have stronger clamping force than the previous ones. I'll leave them stretching for a while.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #1,256 of 3,701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back