Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 26, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #1,276 of 3,701
Your Warehouse Deal unit was probably returned because of the crackle issue already. Instead of returning it to Bayerdynamic, they put it into warehouse deal rotation as long as someone keeps them. So maybe there are very few affected units, that get reported several times here because of that.

If it's so shame on you Amazon! It's ok to sell items with issues but it must be stated somewhere. The only description was a short mention that the package can be damaged and I didn't care about it.

Dec 26, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,277 of 3,701

if its only when you are putting them on your head and not from the audio then it sounds like the plastic clamp that holds the metal piece that adjust to fit your head. 

That's the exact issue I'm having. Should I do a return?

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,282 of 3,701
  Quote:

If something is defective or at least partly defective why not to send it back?

If it's not prohibiting the main purpose of the item. Then how come its considered defective.  Sometimes,  perfection comes with its quirks and gives it character.  That could be the best sounding headphones that they have ever had with one minor issue that does not inhabilitate or incapacitate the use.   Thats just my honest opinion.  We are all not Steve Jobs lol,  little inside joke for just me sorry ◕‿◕

Of course its up the the person that owns that product to make that judgement call ultimately 

This goes of course with the quality of the headphones.  I can watch reviews all day long until I'm blue in the face, but until i get out and try them myself I won't know if "I"  like them or not. 

Dec 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,284 of 3,701
It only happens on the right cup, maybe 3 times out of 5 times when I put them on. It's loud, and doesn't sound particularly healthy.

On the flip side, the listening experience is completely unaffected. However, for a +/- £430 pair of headphones, I'd really prefer if they didn't scare me each time I put them on.....

The fact that not every pair sold has the issue, seems to me it must be a defect. I don't want the right cup falling off on me down the line outside of warranty.

Return process started, will let you know if the next pair do the same.....

Dec 26, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,285 of 3,701

Also,  just wanting to let ya know, I'm not trying to argue.  Just a healthy convo ◕‿◕ agree to disagree.  

Well, it's important if the issue doesn't prevent you from enjoying your music. In my case it clearly did. Besides DT-1770 is not a cheap product and I'm eligible to expect high build quality from a respectable headphone manufacturer. It turned out at the end that I paid almost full price with a smallish discount for a defective product (I'm pretty sure the seller knew about it).

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,288 of 3,701
Disclaimer: My favorite artist is Mark Knopfler. 

The 1770 doesn't come close to the T1's. This is my final conclusion. Are they good? Most certainly, I do not regret my purchase at all. But they can't really compare to the T1's. It's most likely because they're closed. 

They're no where near as detailed as the T1. Soundstage was actually surprisingly good, but still no where near the T1. Upper bass is a bit boomy. Bass extension beats the T1 though. In general, the bass is 'fuller' than the T1, but not as controlled. The 1770's is more of a 'shake-your-head' kind of bass, where the T1 has a strong focus on controlling the bass, and producing the right sound, though it lacks the 'shake-your-head/body'. 
Mids timbre of the mids is about the same actually. The 1770's keeps up well here. The mids are fuller (notice a trend?) on the 1770 compared to the T1. Listening to a bit of metal (something I've not done for some time, as the T1's aren't a good fit) on the 1770's left a smile on my face. Plugged in the T1's and listened to the same songs. The 1770's wins, no contest. The sound is thin on the T1, but the 1770 handles it with elegance and POWER. My ears are lusting for my 1770's. They want more power, more metal! 
The T1's have more sparckle than the 1770. I suspect this is due to the (in)famous (and with Elise, tamed) treblepeak. The 1770's aren't far behind though. It's a good thing though. I'll be using these headphones out of my phone, possibly with a solid state amp in the future, so not having to tame the treble (with tube magic) is a blessing. 

From a pure audiophile point-of-view: Which is better? T1, no doubt. 
From a pure enjoyment point-of-view: Which is better? Debatable. Depends on what music you listen to. 

My test was done using the Feliks Audio Elise amp with a pair of Fivre brown-base 6N7G as drivers and a pair of Mullard 6080 as powers. 

Edit: This is the T1 Gen1.
Edit2: This is with the velour pads. Haven't tried the leather pads.

Dec 26, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,289 of 3,701
Currently 1770 £350
T1 G2 £700

In my neck of the woods at least.

Wish I could afford the T1's! I like the 1770 bass though, so T1's may not be for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back