Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #3,691 of 3,701
Hey there, I am new to the audiophile world. Just ordered these great looking 1770 Pro headphones as my old 770 Pro 80Ω cable just got broken after 8 happy years of service and it is literally WASTED overall, (broken plastic, worn earpads and lettering, etc.) I decided to step up the game, as compared to most my family and friends I would say I am more "acoustically sensible" :D

I mainly listen to electronic dance music and I always use the headphones at my room, so I don't need portable gear.

I don't even have a DAC nor an amp, beyond my modest, prehistoric Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music and while I think it was an "OK" solution for the 770s and served me well for 15+ years, I know it won't drive the 1770s well enough.

I am looking for options, I can spend up to 500 dollars if it is worth it. I have read glorious opinions about the JDS Labs Element III and the Schiit Asgard 3 (with 9028 card), although I am wondering if a simpler Fiio K11 or a SMSL DL200 would do the job and I can save those extra bucks. Notice I live in Spain and the shipping costs for the JDS would be 60 extra bucks, the other 3 options are more easily available in Europe. I guess any of these would be a great step over my current internal soundcard. What you think?

Also I could buy an upgraded cable if its worth it. I know there won't be any noticeable sound quality changes, but for convenience. 2 meter long is enough for me and I want bulletproof durability aswell, but I dont feel like wasting 300+ bucks in some Lavricables (although they look superb I must say).

Thanks in advance! Happy New Year btw :wink:
If you are willing to spend up to $500 US my recommendation for a DAC/AMP combo would be the FiiO K9 as it pairs really well with the Beyer DT1770 and offers not just great over all sound quality but also exceptional value for money. Those that own the K9 and have heard the K9 Pro will tell you they sound almost the same and with something like the 1770's you wouldnt notice the difference between them.

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3,692 of 3,701
Received!

wow just wow, these ones really step up the game. The premium feel. The depth. The sound quality even with garbage gear (I am on an internal 15 year old sound card, the Soundblaster Xtreme Music). The 1770 are better in just every aspect and frequency compared to the 770.

I am very happy with these headphones, although I am ordering a Fiio K11 as it should improve the experience a lot without expending too much money. They sound great at reasonable volume as of now, and thats why I decided not to spend the same cost in a DAC/AMP, but yeah it feels the quality worsens as volume gets over 50%. Also I get some electrical noises when moving mouse, etc. only noticeable while not playing sounds.

Oh and now I understand what many users said about high quality components bringing out the downsides of poorly recorded tracks. Now I hear many more details, the good and the bad!!! But overall a great improvement from the 770 Pro 80 Ohms.

Couple of pics for people wondering how the Beyerdinamic DT770 and the Beyerdinamic DT1770 compare side to side.

DT-1770-Pro-vs-DT-770-Pro.jpg

Beyer.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #3,693 of 3,701
Received!

wow just wow, these ones really step up the game. The premium feel. The depth. The sound quality even with garbage gear (I am on an internal 15 year old sound card, the Soundblaster Xtreme Music). The 1770 are better in just every aspect and frequency compared to the 770.

I am very happy with these headphones, although I am ordering a Fiio K11 as it should improve the experience a lot without expending too much money. They sound great at reasonable volume as of now, and thats why I decided not to spend the same cost in a DAC/AMP, but yeah it feels the quality worsens as volume gets over 50%. Also I get some electrical noises when moving mouse, etc. only noticeable while not playing sounds.

Oh and now I understand what many users said about high quality components bringing out the downsides of poorly recorded tracks. Now I hear many more details, the good and the bad!!! But overall a great improvement from the 770 Pro 80 Ohms.

Couple of pics for people wondering how the Beyerdinamic DT770 and the Beyerdinamic DT1770 compare side to side.

DT-1770-Pro-vs-DT-770-Pro.jpg

Beyer.jpg
DT1770 Pro are highly detailed which is why I suggested pairing with FiiO K9 ESS varient (an AKM K9 varient coming soon) as it is highly detailed too and a really good match.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #3,695 of 3,701
Does anyone use the Oratory1990 EQ profile for these and can provide information on how they sound with a Harman curve?
I do. I think they take eq quite well. And they sound like harman target tuned headphones after eq, which is the point. If you're asking about technicalities - they're ok, but not great (it depends on what you compare them with of course). I have he1000se, he6se v2, Empyrean 2 and hence, I compare them to these headphones. They're not up there with any of the aforementioned headphones in the technicalities department. But I need to own a solid closed back, so I keep them around. They're very well built, but have a horrific factory tuning. After eq - they're a solid daily driver for games, movies, youtube, you name it, and maybe for some for music.

BTW, I use them with velour pads (because leather pads need more eq).
I use Equalizer APO to eq them.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #3,696 of 3,701
I do. I think they take eq quite well. And they sound like harman target tuned headphones after eq, which is the point. If you're asking about technicalities - they're ok, but not great (it depends on what you compare them with of course). I have he1000se, he6se v2, Empyrean 2 and hence, I compare them to these headphones. They're not up there with any of the aforementioned headphones in the technicalities department. But I need to own a solid closed back, so I keep them around. They're very well built, but have a horrific factory tuning. After eq - they're a solid daily driver for games, movies, youtube, you name it, and maybe for some for music.

BTW, I use them with velour pads (because leather pads need more eq).
I use Equalizer APO to eq them.
Thank you 👍 I ordered them tonight, I already have HD600 and 800s and thought I would have something completely different in my collection, something colored, bass heavy and fun instead of neutral sounding, I will use and EQ them and with my RME ADI-2, I ordered them from Amazon so I can send them back without problems If I don't like them.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #3,697 of 3,701
Thank you 👍 I ordered them tonight, I already have HD600 and 800s and thought I would have something completely different in my collection, something colored, bass heavy and fun instead of neutral sounding, I will use and EQ them and with my RME ADI-2, I ordered them from Amazon so I can send them back without problems If I don't like them.

After the HD600, I don’t have the 800 to compare, you might very well find the DT 1770 rather bloated and boomy in the bass with the fake leather pads, I certainly did. Unfortunately for me the velour were only just OK and they collapsed pretty quickly and my ears ended up touching the driver covering which was annoying.

I ended up with Dekoni leather pads which were ridiculously bass heavy but deep and comfortable. After much experimenting stumbled on a modification to adjust the bass easily.

Simply part cover the bass port, the more you cover it the less bass you will have. I covered nearly completely with a plastic disc with a small hole in it stuck over the port. Tune the port opening to tune the bass.

Or EQ of course but I really enjoy the way they sound now with the tweaked bass port and some foam filtering in front of the drivers to cut the treble a touch.

I did mess with EQ using the Oratory data with the leather pads, I tweaked the bass a little to taste. They sounded really good, nice and natural. I prefer not to EQ for convenience of source options hence the messing around described above 😂

IMG_0305.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #3,698 of 3,701
My 1770 landed today, and I have to say they were a pleasant surprise, they sound very good with Oratory preset, heavy and powerful bass, and they was more open and clear than I thought they would be, they are a keeper for sure 👍

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #3,699 of 3,701
My 1770 landed today, and I have to say they were a pleasant surprise, they sound very good with Oratory preset, heavy and powerful bass, and they was more open and clear than I thought they would be, they are a keeper for sure 👍
I'm glad you like them. EQ is the saving grace for dt1770 here.
Without EQ they're pretty bad: overdone base, not enough sub base, some very hideous treble peaks. In general, not a pleasant headphone with factory tuning.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #3,700 of 3,701
I'm glad you like them. EQ is the saving grace for dt1770 here.
Without EQ they're pretty bad: overdone base, not enough sub base, some very hideous treble peaks. In general, not a pleasant headphone with factory tuning.
Yes, I knew I needed to use EQ as I also own the 1990 Pro, I think the 1770 will suit me well as fun all-round headphone for movies and Youtube etc., they even brought bad 60s-70s recordings to life, I only use my 1990 for gaming (flightsim).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back