Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #3,676 of 3,701
EQ is tuning your source not your headphones.

I prefer to have headphones or IEM that I enjoy the sound of without EQ then I can use them on any source and they sound good.

Horses for courses.
For sure, I get that. For me, I don't really tend to use different sources so not an issue I can identify with, but as you said, horses for courses. Additionally, equalization is so very simple to do well, no disassembling and the risks that go along with that. If I had to guess those who like to tune their headphones just like to tinker in a more tactile, mechanical sense so the act of experimenting is probably as important as the outcome.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #3,677 of 3,701
For sure, I get that. For me, I don't really tend to use different sources so not an issue I can identify with, but as you said, horses for courses. Additionally, equalization is so very simple to do well, no disassembling and the risks that go along with that. If I had to guess those who like to tune their headphones just like to tinker in a more tactile, mechanical sense so the act of experimenting is probably as important as the outcome.

I would agree with you entirely.

I messed around with EQing some headphones and IEM but it just didn’t interest me. As you said, I am more one to mess with the mechanical aspects.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #3,678 of 3,701
You can have different headphones for different purpose, like using closed cans for tracking and open for mastering. Same with, or not with, EQ. I have for instance the Sennheiser HD600 and the Beyer DT900 Pro X which both sounds great without EQ and can be used with most sources. And I have the Hifiman HE400SE and the Beyer DT1990 Pro which both requires EQ to sound the best and can only be used 100% to their potential with a PC as source using Equalizer APO/Peace.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #3,679 of 3,701
Just got round to finishing mods on my DT 1770's today, re-wired all internally with braided mix of 24awg silver/OCC copper litz, balanced socket, part perforated angled lambskin pads....SW..cables etc giggle..lol... Little bit overkill but pretty, easy on the ear's and eye's, giggle...

ngk227i.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #3,680 of 3,701
Just got round to finishing mods on my DT1770's today, re-wired all internally with braided 24awg silver litz, balanced socket, part perforated sheepskin pads.... Little bit overkill but pretty easy on the eye's, giggle...

ngk227i.jpg
You are quite the artisan ! Those look (and likely sound) tremendous !

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:05 AM Post #3,681 of 3,701
You are quite the artisan ! Those look (and likely sound) tremendous !
Kind words, many thanks,
I had originally planned on the headband braiding just being obsidian silver to keep the black/dark theme but for life of me could not find what I had done with it so this eventuated lol. I got some bits I'd been waiting on from Custom Cans to finish off my AKG - K712 pro's to mod them - BAL, so thought I'd finish these while I was making a mess.

Good times, happy days!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3,682 of 3,701
Hi all I'd like to chip in with my listening experience with these cans.

I have had Sen HD660's for some time, and needed some closed headphones so went with the DT770's initially. I Could never get on with them, lacked detail, slam, balance.. the list goes on.

Anyway, replaced them with the DT1770 Pros and am astounded. Everything is significantly better. I'm now listening to these more than my Sens. They sound great with my portable setup, (Chord Mojo 2) but simply sing with my Topping D90/A90 set up.

I might start reading up on the T5 Gen3's....

Feb 11, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #3,683 of 3,701
Hi all I'd like to chip in with my listening experience with these cans.

I have had Sen HD660's for some time, and needed some closed headphones so went with the DT770's initially. I Could never get on with them, lacked detail, slam, balance.. the list goes on.

Anyway, replaced them with the DT1770 Pros and am astounded. Everything is significantly better. I'm now listening to these more than my Sens. They sound great with my portable setup, (Chord Mojo 2) but simply sing with my Topping D90/A90 set up.

I might start reading up on the T5 Gen3's....
I expierenced the same with the HD660S lack of bass particularly sub bass something the DT1770 Pro does so well. Might consider upgrading the HD660S with the new HD660S2 just released.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #3,689 of 3,701
I'm surprised no one has highlighted the stark variation in sound between earlier batches of the DT 1770 Pro and latter batches.

The first DT 1770 Pro I owned was S/N 825. It didn't matter what I tried: pad rolling, bass port modding, Dekoni pads, upgrade cables, burn in, better sources, etc. It sounded boomy and congested and boxed-in.

Later, I auditioned a pair S/N 12xxx at a local store via a humble iFi hip-dac. I was blown away. That pair sounded vastly different. There was that clean, pristine, sparkly Beyer sound, with defined, hard-hitting bass.

Subsequently, I had to replace the drivers on my own pair. The newly serviced pair sounded identical to the original.

Recently, I acquired another pair of DT 1770's, this one S/N 97xxx. I'm running it through a Denafrips Ares II and Lake People G111. All I can say is that it sounds simply astounding, and is surprisingly sensitive to upstream equipment (I have with me the iFi ZEN DAC V2, ZEN CAN, Jotunheim 2, and a Feliks Echo II).

Around the $500 price point, my default recommendation used to be the E-MU Teaks, which I also have with me at the moment.

Here's how they compare on my setup:

Apple Music on Mac > Denafrips Ares II > Lake People G111
  • The Teaks are a crisp sounding, relatively heavy U-shaped signature. They have a distinct mid-treble peak and a strong sub-bass emphasis.
  • The DT 1770 is relatively warmer, fuller-bodied, and more balanced by comparison. They have a slightly heavy mid-bass emphasis and a relatively more muted treble by comparison. Mids are relatively more forward.
  • The Teaks have a more energetic, aggressive, lighter-footed presentation. The DT 1770 Pro are slower on their feet, but display a more robust, fuller-bodied character, and slam harder.
  • Bass is heftier, weightier, and slower on the DT 1770 Pro with more slam. The Teaks' bass is more nimble, tauter, and textured, with more rumble.
  • Mids are leaner and drier on the Teaks, being more even and fuller-bodied on the DT 1770.
  • Treble again is more even on the DT 1770 Pro, with the Teaks displaying a distinct mid-treble emphasis and a crisp character, with greater presence, air, and extension
  • The Teaks have an appreciable edge in terms of transparency and surface clarity. However, detail retrieval is distinctly superior on the DT 1770 Pro
  • Soundstage is appreciably more expansive on the DT 1770 Pro, with a big and bold cinematic presentation. The Teaks are relatively more intimate and congested by comparison.
  • Imaging is appreciably more precise on the DT 1770 Pro
  • Transients are quicker and more incisive on the Teaks
  • I will say the Teaks do have a decidedly unique, inviting, and euphonic tone.
  • Comfort, build quality, and isolation easily go to the DT 1770 Pro
My favourite closed-back Beyer thus far has been the Beyerdynamic DT 150, especially fitted with DT 100 velour pads. Other closed-back Beyers I've owned include the classic DT 770 Pro in both 80 and 250 ohm flavours, DT 700 Pro X, and T5p G2. I'm happy to report that the DT 1770 Pro have now found a place alongside the DT 150 as one of my favourite closed-backs. I recently sold a Sony MDR-Z1R, and while I did not have a chance to A/B them, purely based on memory, the DT 1770 Pro immediately struck me as being more impressive than the MDR-Z1R.

IMG_1219.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #3,690 of 3,701
Hey there, I am new to the audiophile world. Just ordered these great looking 1770 Pro headphones as my old 770 Pro 80Ω cable just got broken after 8 happy years of service and it is literally WASTED overall, (broken plastic, worn earpads and lettering, etc.) I decided to step up the game, as compared to most my family and friends I would say I am more "acoustically sensible" :D

I mainly listen to electronic dance music and I always use the headphones at my room, so I don't need portable gear.

I don't even have a DAC nor an amp, beyond my modest, prehistoric Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music and while I think it was an "OK" solution for the 770s and served me well for 15+ years, I know it won't drive the 1770s well enough.

I am looking for options, I can spend up to 500 dollars if it is worth it. I have read glorious opinions about the JDS Labs Element III and the Schiit Asgard 3 (with 9028 card), although I am wondering if a simpler Fiio K11 or a SMSL DL200 would do the job and I can save those extra bucks. Notice I live in Spain and the shipping costs for the JDS would be 60 extra bucks, the other 3 options are more easily available in Europe. I guess any of these would be a great step over my current internal soundcard. What you think?

Also I could buy an upgraded cable if its worth it. I know there won't be any noticeable sound quality changes, but for convenience. 2 meter long is enough for me and I want bulletproof durability aswell, but I dont feel like wasting 300+ bucks in some Lavricables (although they look superb I must say).

Thanks in advance! Happy New Year btw :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back