Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,232 of 3,701
For those who purchased this headphone, please give it a minimum of 200 hrs. of break-in. Use an amp for best results.

Yes, give the DT1770 and yourself some time to settle. At a certain point a harmony gets created and all is good.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,233 of 3,701
Has anyone compared these to the Oppo PM-3? I have the 1770's on order from Amazon, as I got in on the 20% off deal on BF. Still haven't shipped. Was planning on getting the PM-3's before I saw the 1770 deal which made them much closer in price. I realize this may be apples to oranges in some respects, but I simply want a nice upgrade from my M50's.
I use an iPhone 6, iPod Classic and now my new AK JR. Also have a Fiio EK12a.
Wondering if I should go back and get the PM-3's.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,234 of 3,701
Has anyone compared these to the Oppo PM-3? I have the 1770's on order from Amazon, as I got in on the 20% off deal on BF. Still haven't shipped. Was planning on getting the PM-3's before I saw the 1770 deal which made them much closer in price. I realize this may be apples to oranges in some respects, but I simply want a nice upgrade from my M50's.

I own both. Did you have a specific question?

A quick comparison:

The PM-3s are more of a portable closed back headphone that has a warmer sound signature with slight roll off at each end of the spectrum. They isolate better than the DT1770. Also they fold down and fit in my backpack. I use them for airplanes and work.

The DT1770 has less roll off than the PM3 with a more V-shape signature. They have a wider sound stage. I would not recommend for portable use because the case is too big. I use these at home, when there is too much noise in the background. (LCD-X when the house is calm)

I find both sets comfortable and enjoy both.

Hope this helps.

-Stand

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,235 of 3,701
You forgot to mention that the PM3s can (and do) get a bit boring... Yeah, I said it! Maybe I'm not so much a "neutral/mid" guy as I thought?! :p

But yeah, portability PM3s win hand down. They isolate well, don't leak, and really sound signature is NOT bad at all... it's just a bit "bland". They actually kind of remind me of PSB's M4U 1, just more revealing.

DT1770s are definitely "funner", still isolating well and a huge sound stage compared to the PM3 (those are really narrow and closed-in... might make for more intimate sound but some times tracks demand more space!)

So, depends on what you are going to use them for, take your pick. :wink:

Good luck.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,236 of 3,701

A quick comparison:

The PM-3s are more of a portable closed back headphone that has a warmer sound signature with slight roll off at each end of the spectrum. They isolate better than the DT1770. Also they fold down and fit in my backpack. I use them for airplanes and work.

The DT1770 has less roll off than the PM3 with a more V-shape signature. They have a wider sound stage. I would not recommend for portable use because the case is too big. I use these at home, when there is too much noise in the background. (LCD-X when the house is calm)

Hope this helps.

-Stand

Thanks Stand. I'm pretty much a noob about this stuff. I rely on ratings and boards to try to find the best gear for my budget. Most times I don't have the chance to test.
To your points, portability is important so I need to factor that in. Isolation too.
I think I'll order the Oppos and try them out while I wait for the 1770s to arrive. Maybe I'll be able to test them side by side and return the ones I like the least.
Appreciate the help!

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,237 of 3,701

A quick comparison:

Hope this helps.

-Stand

If you take this case for ~25 €/USD it is very portable and in my backpack every day when I ride my bicycle to work or in my luggage when I travel.

It is from Beyerdynamic and fits all DT series cans plus T1,T5p, T70, T90.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #1,238 of 3,701

If you take this case for ~25 €/USD it is very portable and in my backpack every day when I ride my bicycle to work or in my luggage when I travel.

It is from Beyerdynamic and fits all DT series cans plus T1,T5p, T70, T90.

Nice case!!!!!
I actually have 2 soft leather Beyer cases I use. As long as they have a handle, I'm good. But that one is definitely more compact.
Still, have you seen the PM3 case's size?!?! LOL It's laughably small... almost V-moda M100 small.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,243 of 3,701
  Offtop: After hesitatings, I finally decided to take T1 V2 over DT1770. These are fenomenal. Over.

Was that decision made after listening to both? or just to be on the safe side? :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #1,244 of 3,701
I decided to return to Amazon my DT-1770. As I use them on the go they there come crackling sounds from the plastic cups and it's really annoying. Already ordered new DT-1770 to check if it's a common problem or it's only my pair. Anyway it's a bit frustrating to observe such quality issues with a respectable German brand like Beyerdynamic is.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,245 of 3,701
I decided to return to Amazon my DT-1770. As I use them on the go they there come crackling sounds from the plastic cups and it's really annoying. Already ordered new DT-1770 to check if it's a common problem or it's only my pair. Anyway it's a bit frustrating to observe such quality issues with a respectable German brand like Beyerdynamic is.

My DT1770 do not crackle at all. There is only a noise created by my metal glasses frame when the metal rubs against the ear pad. This is with both sort of pads tha come with the headphone. A lot of other cans that I have or has share this behavior even the Sennheiser HD650. If you wear glasses you have at least a chance to rule that root cause out. Btw this can be cured by applying a certain length of shrink tube on the contact surface of the glasses frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back