Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,346 of 3,701
Hello...long-time member here, used to be active quite a bit, but not in a few years, due to the fact that I got the DT-1990s and have been loving them so much that I didn't see myself getting more headphones. But then again.....
So, I'm thinking of getting the DT-1770s, and I've done quite a bit of forum reading, but not here yet. I've watched the Z Reviews - love that guy, but he has so many cans and does so many reviews that sometimes it seems like he can't make up his mind whether or not a pair of cans are excellent or just adequate. He gave the 1770s thumbs up, but what does that mean? I like the Beyer sound, but have had a few other brands I like also. I am also considering the Neumann NDH-20. I am looking for a closed-back headphone that doesn't have bloated bass, but definitely has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for at least an hour (the Neumanns seem to be a bit uncomfortable, from what I've read, but are otherwise stellar).
I use the Beyerdynamic solid-state amp, and either a hi-res digital player or a Sony SACD player. My music of choice is classic rock or jazz.
Should I go with the DT-1770s, or the Neumanns, or go elsewhere for a good closed-back? I don't want to spend more than $600-$700, and I want to buy new. Also - should I get the Massdrop DT-1770s? Still reading this thread, but I was looking for perspective in relation to the DT-1990s.
I'm also rading the "Favorite sub-$1000 closed-back headphones" thread. There are so many brands now....
This forum has never failed me.....grateful for all of the comparisons.
Well if you are using the A2Beyerdynamic solid state amplifier, then you need to look at high impedance headphones as the amp has a similar output impedance to tube amps. We’re talking a 100 ohms here which (if we are following the golden rule ie the output impedance of the amp should be (at least) 1/8 of the headphone’s impedance) will add an impedance hump in the bass to most low impedance dynamic driver headphones. Basically makes them warmer/bassier. As you are looking for something with a fairly neutral bass response...well I’m not sure you have any options tbh...other than buying something like a Magni or similarly cheap amp with a low output impedance, which will pair with every headphone you care to throw at it without introducing bass to the presentation.
I would advise against the Neumann as well as the bass is boosted much in the same manner as the DT1770 is. Very nice sounding headphone otherwise:)

Edith: * My bad it’s the A20 with the tube amp output impedance!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,347 of 3,701
Well if you are using the A2 Beyerdynamic solid state amplifier, then you need to look at high impedance headphones as the amp has a similar output impedance to tube amps. We’re talking a 100 ohms here which (if we are following the golden rule ie the output impedance of the amp should be (at least) 1/8 of the headphone’s impedance) will add an impedance hump in the bass to most low impedance dynamic driver headphones. Basically makes them warmer/bassier. As you are looking for something with a fairly neutral bass response...well I’m not sure you have any options tbh...other than buying something like a Magni or similarly cheap amp with a low output impedance, which will pair with every headphone you care to throw at it without introducing bass to the presentation.
I would advise against the Neumann as well as the bass is boosted much in the same manner as the DT1770 is. Very nice sounding headphone otherwise:)
Thanks for your input.
"Bass boosted" - there's a disputed term, for sure, especially on this forum. It could be said that I prefer "bass boosted", if I like the Beyer sound in the first place. But, I have heard both open-back and closed-back headphones that are too bass boosted. I like rock, I even like the smiley-faced EQ curve on my Sony hi-res player, and I like the sound of the Beyerdynamic A2 amp (I also have a custom-made PPA v2 w/ bass boost and dedicated power supply). So.....maybe I like a little bass boost....but definitely not too much (again; objective).
BTW - I tried the 600 ohm Beyers years ago, maybe the 990s, and liked them, but I like the Tesla DT-1990 better. I think I want to stick with Tesla if I am sticking with Beyerdynamic. But still interested in the Neumanns, because I can listen to them on my Sony player. The DT-1990s are barely capale of being driven by that player, and I love the sound of that player as well.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,348 of 3,701
Well if you are using the A2 Beyerdynamic solid state amplifier, then you need to look at high impedance headphones as the amp has a similar output impedance to tube amps. We’re talking a 100 ohms here which (if we are following the golden rule ie the output impedance of the amp should be (at least) 1/8 of the headphone’s impedance) will add an impedance hump in the bass to most low impedance dynamic driver headphones. Basically makes them warmer/bassier. As you are looking for something with a fairly neutral bass response...well I’m not sure you have any options tbh...other than buying something like a Magni or similarly cheap amp with a low output impedance, which will pair with every headphone you care to throw at it without introducing bass to the presentation.
A2 should have 0 ohm mode. A20 is the one you talking about i guess.

Aug 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #3,349 of 3,701
Thanks for your input.
"Bass boosted" - there's a disputed term, for sure, especially on this forum. It could be said that I prefer "bass boosted", if I like the Beyer sound in the first place. But, I have heard both open-back and closed-back headphones that are too bass boosted. I like rock, I even like the smiley-faced EQ curve on my Sony hi-res player, and I like the sound of the Beyerdynamic A2 amp (I also have a custom-made PPA v2 w/ bass boost and dedicated power supply). So.....maybe I like a little bass boost....but definitely not too much (again; objective).
BTW - I tried the 600 ohm Beyers years ago, maybe the 990s, and liked them, but I like the Tesla DT-1990 better. I think I want to stick with Tesla if I am sticking with Beyerdynamic. But still interested in the Neumanns, because I can listen to them on my Sony player. The DT-1990s are barely capale of being driven by that player, and I love the sound of that player as well.
Check this out:

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #3,350 of 3,701
The DT1770s are a lot flatter than Fostex & clones. I cannot listen to Fostex TR-X00 without EQ because the mids are so reduced.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #3,351 of 3,701
The DT1770s are a lot flatter than Fostex & clones. I cannot listen to Fostex TR-X00 without EQ because the mids are so reduced.
Fostex X00 Ebony: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ese1vozwwmtf24c/Fostex TH-X00 Ebony.pdf?dl=0
DT 1770: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoo5ox7if5fwj5q/Beyerdynamic DT1770 (Leatherette Earpads).pdf?dl=0

Ebony and Emu Teak tuning is nice.

Different source:
Mahogany: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/fr-th-x00.png?w=614
1770: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/fr-dt1770-velour.png?w=614

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #3,352 of 3,701
I have the two headphones I'm talking about.

Aug 15, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #3,353 of 3,701
I wonder if I should consider a 600 Ohm version of a Beyerdynamic headphone...but I think I tried those
Check this out:

Thanks for that.
Zeos likes 'em, but I think he likes the Neumanns even more. He spent more time talking about E-MU pads and wires than how they sound. More hand gestures in Neumann review, too. :wink:
At any rate...maybe I should re-think this to headphone need, based on player: I could keep the DT-1990s for use with my A20 (thanks for the correction, BTW), and use a really nice closed-back for use with my Sony player. At any rate, still looking and reading...and thanks for all the feedback.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,355 of 3,701
Go check out the reviews for the DT177x on Drop’s page. I have added one (latest one atm) describing my experience with them and comparing the headphones to the Neumanns and the Elegia. And also the T5p.

Let me know here if you have additional questions after reading that and I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge. :)

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,356 of 3,701
Go check out the reviews for the DT177x on Drop’s page. I have added one (latest one atm) describing my experience with them and comparing the headphones to the Neumanns and the Elegia. And also the T5p.

Let me know here if you have additional questions after reading that and I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge. :)
OK thanks; having a hard time finding your review - is it in Discussions or Reviews? Under what handle?

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #3,359 of 3,701
In my case - Yes.
It was a huge issue and a huge inconvenience, considering that I paid an import tax that I can’t get back.
If you are in the US, returns are much easier and I would give them a shot. :) Nothing to lose.

Aug 15, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #3,360 of 3,701
In my case - Yes.
It was a huge issue and a huge inconvenience, considering that I paid an import tax that I can’t get back.
If you are in the US, returns are much easier and I would give them a shot. :) Nothing to lose.
Thanks. Massdrop has a Preorder going on right now; not sure of the release date. That gives me time to do more research. Still curious about the Neumann NDH 20 in comparison to the Massdrop Dt 177x. It sounds like you weren't crazy about either.
I'm also thinking about the Massdrop Koss ESP 95x Electrostatics...completely different, I know - but I've never had electrostatics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back