Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #3,331 of 3,701
... Actually, I might sound and be crazy, but a friend pointed out that the headphones i got second hand have some odd details in the manufacturing, and now I'm worried these might be counterfeit/messed with?
For example:
EFExgRh.jpeg

YTP7K3p.jpg

The arm clamps don't match the round ones used on the DT1770/1990 series, but are the square ones from the DT770 etc, series, as well as the torx screws being a bit stripped out in the middle:

4hCZhFu.jpeg

Maybe I'm overthinking and Beyer just made these on a holiday weekend friday, or perhaps they were tampered with and replaced the drivers with the DT770s to save a buck?
That's definitely not normal.

Aug 14, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #3,332 of 3,701
Second hand from a private seller on Mercari, hance the suspicion.

can you post pics of the inside of your yokes? left side (cable side) should have 250 ohms then under that L for left and then under that serial number , two bracket screws are torx

on the right bracket you have the CE symbol and under that beyerdynamic (with small b) and the address

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #3,334 of 3,701
The markings look ok except for the markings on the outside brackets. Mine say beyerdynamic )))) and yours just have the )))). I don't know if this could have been a running change, I have only two pair of Beyers and I'm by no means an expert on them.

My serial number is much lower, around 11000 and I just bought these within the past 2 months. Not sure how long they were in the shop, it is an authorized Beyer dealer. But it starts to suggest may yours were thrown together from parts especially since the way you say they sound is nothing like the way I hear them.

Also your headstrap and pads look grey to me where my are much darker, pretty much black. I don't know if is just the way the pics look of if the color is wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #3,335 of 3,701
The markings look ok except for the markings on the outside brackets. Mine say beyerdynamic )))) and yours just have the )))). I don't know if this could have been a running change, I have only two pair of Beyers and I'm by no means an expert on them.

My serial number is much lower, around 11000 and I just bought these within the past 2 months. Not sure how long they were in the shop, it is an authorized Beyer dealer. But it starts to suggest may yours were thrown together from parts especially since the way you say they sound is nothing like the way I hear them.

Also your headstrap and pads look grey to me where my are much darker, pretty much black. I don't know if is just the way the pics look of if the color is wrong.

That's what I think, maybe these were bought by someone to fix another pair, then resold, etc etc, or someone bought them to swap the tesla drivers into a set of 770's and returned. Opening a paypal dispute, turns out Mercari doesn't have any way to open disputes for buyers!

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,336 of 3,701
That's what I think, maybe these were bought by someone to fix another pair, then resold, etc etc, or someone bought them to swap the tesla drivers into a set of 770's and returned. Opening a paypal dispute, turns out Mercari doesn't have any way to open disputes for buyers!

Sorry, man. That's a bummer. I believe PayPal will resolve it quickly in your favor.

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #3,338 of 3,701
It happens, just a reminder to pay closer attention. Just not sure what to do with these shmeyerdynamics now....

If you get your money back you can just take 'em apart for whatever spares are worth keeping.

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #3,339 of 3,701
It happens, just a reminder to pay closer attention. Just not sure what to do with these shmeyerdynamics now....

The drivers on the DT770 and the DT1770 should be different. Open them up and post photos. I've disassembled the DT177X several times while I was trying to find an issue with a rattle, so I can spot the DT177X/1770 driver.

Let me know if you needs steps on how to do it.

Actually, I already wrote them on Drop, because someone needed them.

Here they are.

1. You first remove the ear pad.
2. Then you remove the black plastic ring the ear pad goes on. It's a clip-on so pull on it carefully with your hand and it will pop-out.
3. Just remove the foam part that is now loose.
4. The white thing that is left is the actual driver enclosure with the white material glued to it. Nothing is holding it. It's just sitting tightly in the earcup. In order to take it out, just turn the cup around so the driver is facing downwards. While holding it with your hand from below (very important, otherwise it will fall when you dislodge it from the cup and may break), tap gently with your other hand on the metal part (the ear cup). At one point the driver will fall in the palm of the hand you are holding it with.

The right one is connected to a single wire. The left one is connected to two wires. They are connected with a plug, so you can unplug them if you need to.

I have not found a safe way to remove the actual driver from the plastic enclosure with the white material.

One thing I noticed. The DT770 driver is soldered to the wires where the DT177X had a little connector and no soldering.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,340 of 3,701
The drivers on the DT770 and the DT1770 should be different. Open them up and post photos. I've disassembled the DT177X several times while I was trying to find an issue with a rattle, so I can spot the DT177X/1770 driver.

One thing I noticed. The DT770 driver is soldered to the wires where the DT177X had a little connector and no soldering.

If this is a Beyer factory solder and splicing job then I'm Nikola Tesla himself:
https://i.imgur.com/Sv1V30a.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dRP7q6r.jpeg

Bonus pic of the other side for extra soldering gore:
https://i.imgur.com/7pMe0xq.jpeg

EDIT: Every image i can find of the Tesla 2.0 drivers in these has blue plastic on it, and i can't tell if these are the drivers from the 770/990 ranges but yeah, suspicions confirmed!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,341 of 3,701
I am sorry to say but this is not the DT1770 Driver.

This here is the driver that was in the DT177X and I am 99% sure that the same driver should be in the DT1770 Pro.

1597428922379.png

Notice the blue rim and the 2 white slots. This is where the cable is connected. No soldering required. It's a plug-and-play job.
Also, the white part is punctured which should cause distortion. Not sure how it is not causing distortion..

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #3,342 of 3,701
Hello...long-time member here, used to be active quite a bit, but not in a few years, due to the fact that I got the DT-1990s and have been loving them so much that I didn't see myself getting more headphones. But then again.....
So, I'm thinking of getting the DT-1770s, and I've done quite a bit of forum reading, but not here yet. I've watched the Z Reviews - love that guy, but he has so many cans and does so many reviews that sometimes it seems like he can't make up his mind whether or not a pair of cans are excellent or just adequate. He gave the 1770s thumbs up, but what does that mean? I like the Beyer sound, but have had a few other brands I like also. I am also considering the Neumann NDH-20. I am looking for a closed-back headphone that doesn't have bloated bass, but definitely has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for at least an hour (the Neumanns seem to be a bit uncomfortable, from what I've read, but are otherwise stellar).
I use the Beyerdynamic solid-state amp, and either a hi-res digital player or a Sony SACD player. My music of choice is classic rock or jazz.
Should I go with the DT-1770s, or the Neumanns, or go elsewhere for a good closed-back? I don't want to spend more than $600-$700, and I want to buy new. Also - should I get the Massdrop DT-1770s? Still reading this thread, but I was looking for perspective in relation to the DT-1990s.
I'm also rading the "Favorite sub-$1000 closed-back headphones" thread. There are so many brands now....
This forum has never failed me.....grateful for all of the comparisons.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #3,343 of 3,701
Hello...long-time member here, used to be active quite a bit, but not in a few years, due to the fact that I got the DT-1990s and have been loving them so much that I didn't see myself getting more headphones. But then again.....
So, I'm thinking of getting the DT-1770s, and I've done quite a bit of forum reading, but not here yet. I've watched the Z Reviews - love that guy, but he has so many cans and does so many reviews that sometimes it seems like he can't make up his mind whether or not a pair of cans are excellent or just adequate. He gave the 1770s thumbs up, but what does that mean? I like the Beyer sound, but have had a few other brands I like also. I am also considering the Neumann NDH-20. I am looking for a closed-back headphone that doesn't have bloated bass, but definitely has decent bass, and is comfortable to wear for at least an hour (the Neumanns seem to be a bit uncomfortable, from what I've read, but are otherwise stellar).
I use the Beyerdynamic solid-state amp, and either a hi-res digital player or a Sony SACD player. My music of choice is classic rock or jazz.
Should I go with the DT-1770s, or the Neumanns, or go elsewhere for a good closed-back? I don't want to spend more than $600-$700, and I want to buy new. Also - should I get the Massdrop DT-1770s? Still reading this thread, but I was looking for perspective in relation to the DT-1990s.
Hello. I strongly don't recommend 1770. They are not at the same level as 1990. Bass is way too much and low quality. It doesn't have Beyer treble. Mids are unbalanced. They are just fine i guess if you let your brain adjust to it's heavily colored sound. Lots of sub bass. 1990 slams harder and have much better bass.

Check out: Emu Teak, Fostex X00 Ebony (i guess you can't buy these new), Denon D5200 or D7200, Focal Elegia. No idea about Neumanns.

Aug 15, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #3,344 of 3,701
Hello. I strongly don't recommend 1770. They are not at the same level as 1990. Bass is way too much and low quality. It doesn't have Beyer treble. Mids are unbalanced. They are just fine i guess if you let your brain adjust to it's heavily colored sound. Lots of sub bass. 1990 slams harder and have much better bass.

Check out: Emu Teak, Fostex X00 Ebony (i guess you can't buy these new), Denon D5200 or D7200, Focal Elegia. No idea about Neumanns.
Thanks...wow, I had heard great things about the DT-1770s. I am also looking into the Focal Elegia....but the Neumann NDH-20s also come highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back